Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Once more into the quran, dear friends, once more.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Volunteer work in india  (Read 699 times)
ruqayyah
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
ruqayyah has no influence :(

« on: Jul 31, 2011 11:50 AM »

Salams folks,

I've been toying with the idea lately of doing some volunteer work in India - specifically teaching
  English to kids.
I've always wanted to go to India and would be able to take 2-3 weeks from work. Has anyone
 done this or can they give advice on which NGO/organisation is best to go with?
Worry points: single female and Pakistani nationality.

PS totally off topic but I used to browse on this board back in my uni days (now talking 9 years ago!) and happened upon it again the other day...was sooo nice to see the familiar names were still about! Smiley well done jannah n co
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2011 12:30 PM »

Walaiykum Salam,

I have been to loads of places in my youth ( ok now I feel old, I'm not really that old  Smiley ) anyway, my only regret us I didn't utilise my time wisely back then.
I'd love to go & do volunteer work in some of the much needed places. However, now I am a mother of two small children.. So it's not feasible.

Personally, I think it'd be great. However in certain types of countries I don't think I could go without Mahrem now. Back in the day I was so brave & thought I could take on the world! Now as a mother of 2 kids, don't feel as brave..

Insh'Allah someone else will able to help on here, unfortunately not me. Ask me about some European destinations & I can tell you loads Wink

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2011 01:52 PM »

Walaikum Assalam

At last, somebody wants to come to India Grin

On a more serious note, I know the guy behind an NGO school for deaf and dumb kids. If you can teach them, I can talk to him.

No offense but, I don't think anybody would be able to teach English within 2-3 weeks. Is there a reason why you're so particular about that? If you're willing to get into other stuff, then I can try to work something for you.

I don't think Pakistani nationality will be much of an obstacle. Once you get a visa, you're good to go. Nobody will bother you once you land here. Where do you live?

PS - Try UNICEF, I know they have a mission/office/some sort of presence in Hyderabad.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2011 04:45 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

PS totally off topic but I used to browse on this board back in my uni days (now talking 9 years ago!) and happened upon it again the other day...was sooo nice to see the familiar names were still about!  well done jannah n co

Well it's always good to see past people turn up and make a cameo now and then bro

If I recall correctly we had two Sr Ruqayyahs back then but each had a different spelling of their name which helped a bit.

Nice of you to have dropped back in Sr Ruqayyah and Ramadhan Mubarak!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2011 05:08 PM »

wsalam,

You can try checking with some relief organizations. I know the Indian Muslim Relief Committee http://www.imrc.ws/ had a summer program over there where they take 'interns' with them to India for a few weeks. Also, if you have some medical skills those are very helpful to those groups, even things like optometry. Doing something on your own might be a little difficult especially as a young woman alone, but try to find a program. I'm sure there are lots of things available.

And welcome back sister Smiley
ruqayyah
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
ruqayyah has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2011 06:00 PM »

Salams,

Cinders: exactly. I've done a bit of travelling to some far flung places and now inshallah I want to combine it with doing something useful. And as there is no husband or kids, I can use that to my benefit for once! Smiley

Akhan: I don't think I can teach someone English in 3 weeks but I think the notion is you are an assistant in an ongoing project. Also, that's what I studied so again just utilising my skills (unfortunately no medical skills jannah!) I chose India, because it's always been on the hit list to go to (esp delhi) and I like working with children. I'm considering this org at the moment - http://www.volunteeringindia.com/volunteer_teaching.htm

Bro Khalid n Sis jannah: it's good to be back!

Wasalama Smiley
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2011 01:36 AM »

In that case, there is no way I can help you. Even I went to Delhi as a tourist Tongue
There's a sister aazeen on the board who lives in Delhi, you should talk to her.
In any case, if Hyderabad suddenly happens to look more appealing than Delhi, which is not so often Grin but can happen, do let me know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: