// Suicide?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The hypocrite looks for faults; the believer looks for excuses. - Abu Hamid al-Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suicide?  (Read 967 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Aug 01, 2011 07:44 AM »

If some one is sick and refuse or choice not to seek medical attention and that person dies.  Would this be considered an act of suicide?

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2011 08:51 AM »

It depends on the intention with which the person is refusing healthcare. If he/she is doing it with the intention of dying, then that would be considered suicide, I think. If it's to avoid side effects or extra pain, it may not be considered as suicide.

It's best for you to seek a scholarly opinion on this. Allahu 'Alam
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2011 09:19 AM »

Salam
I suppose that wl depend on the level piety of the subject. There's an authentic hadith of the Prophet(pbuh) that says in the day of judgement, 70k of his followers will enter paradise without account(hisab). When the Prophet was asked who ard those people, he said, they are the one who do not take medicine, nor do quqya(incantation), but only depend on their Lord.

Bt for one's piety to reach that extent, it takes alot. For me, I dont thnk I'll ever boycott medication. May Allah increase our Imam.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2011 12:12 PM »

i am seriously wondering if thats an authentic hadeeth. There are so amny made up hadeeth all over the net. and this one sounds  so damn illogical. Our prophet has himself prescribed oils like olive and blackseed for example as cure to almost every ailment. Health has been given due importance in islam.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2011 12:30 PM »

Asking someone else to do Ruqyah for you will fetch you inevitable accountability. Doing it yourself is perfectly alright. The Prophet(S) used to do it for himself. It's best to ask a scholar about this.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2011 03:30 PM »

salam

Dunno about the above hadith, but I have read somewhere that for every illness Allah has made a cure and we should seek the cure.

Seek a cure for your ailment and trust implicitly in the mercy of Allah, that whatever he will do will be for the best inshallah.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2011 05:23 PM »

Salam
I myself ague with people who try to use the Hadith to deny themselves Allah's blessing of cure. But the Hadeeth has base. Ibn Abdulwahab qouted the hadith in his "Kitabut-tawheed." because it is certainly, as you cited,  related to Tauheed. Some hadiths in his book were found to be weak, but this one I believe is authentic. Inshaallah when I get back to room I will post for you its reference.

But as you said, we should ask ulama. Allah knows best.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2011 06:06 PM »

The best cause of action is to ask the Ulama.

Is the person elderly? Because most elderly people dislike modern medicine, hospitals and clinics and always say they believe in Allah SWT to heal them and also believe in the healing power of the Qur'an. I have dealt with some but definitely made them see a doctor and in addition to recitation of the Qur'an by a Sheikh. You have to cajole and plead in the case of the elderly and be understanding. It is not easy but you have to.

Circumstances differ, of course. Allahu Ya Alam.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2011 06:22 PM »

This is a very complex issue and especially since it is regards to such an important topic as life, I will close this thread and ask the original poster to please contact an Imam or scholar in their area to answer the question. It might have been a theoretical question but if someone was willing to ask it, it's important to have it answered. Jazakamullahu khairan. Ws.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: