Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

All the world's a kabob truck.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whose already thinking ........ Garden  (Read 3167 times)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« on: Mar 08, 2008 12:00 AM »

Is there anyonew else like myself who is already getting excited and
ready to start their garden?

Has anyone ever thought of starting a 'community garden' within their
community? That would be so cool and a way for sisters to get to
socialize with one another.
Each be responsable for a part of the garden and sharing their bounty with the
others and families within the Muslim community. purplehijabisis
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2008 02:56 AM »

What a great idea! Even a great project for a class.... sis pinkhijabisis purplehijabisis  sudanibro arabbro
Imagine the lessons we could teach.... and field trips.... i wonder if that is how the term originated?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2008 04:48 AM »

wsalaam,

I was just thinking about that today cuz the weather was so nice!! (but of course it's going to snow tomorrow). But you know what I think people should beautify their mosque grounds. Like wouldn't it be amazing to have beautiful grounds and islamic gardens like the olden days... how heavenly would that be  faint
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2008 09:05 AM »

peace be upon you

My eldest daughters school do this, each class has a segment of the allotment, and they are all growing different things.
The first few weeks, Fatima insisted she was picking out beeds, it took me a while to figure out that she'd been weeding Cheesy Anyway, my daughters class are growing strawberry plants, and she appears to be in love iwth gardening, so much so that she was delighted when my sister had a gardening party for all our children, I currently have several pea vines on my windowsill as a result of said party.

But yes community gardens or allotments sound like a fabulous idea.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2008 04:22 AM »

wsalam,

How about an orchard........... sounds so nice and isn't their a hadith about fruit trees. That you're giving sadaqah to every animal that eats from it??

treeclimb

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/garden/13orchyarding.html?pagewanted=1
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2008 02:58 AM »

wsalam,

How about an orchard........... sounds so nice and isn't their a hadith about fruit trees. That you're giving sadaqah to every animal that eats from it??

treeclimb

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/garden/13orchyarding.html?pagewanted=1

As salaamu alaikum

The squirrels seem to enjoy the apple tree in my back yard;I think it's a crab apple tree but I was told the apples were fine for human consumption; guess I'm the skeptic and won't bother.

Every year I say I'm going to till the soil in the yard and start a vegetable garden (or at least grow things like tomotos, green beans, hot peppers and herbs in large pots) and every year it doesn't happen Sad    This is really not sitting well with me because I have fond memories of childhood where there was always a garden planted in the back yard of every house we lived in; my grandmother was the gardening type and I always ended up helping.  With the cost of everything rising I really need to do it since my children actually like vegetables - especially raw ones like me and even if we couldn't manage to eat them all there is always the option of bringing them to the masjid and letting others have them.  Insha'Allah I'll get it together, slow down and actually do it this year.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
Princess1983
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Princess1983 has no influence :(

Make duaa for those less fortunate than us.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2008 07:29 PM »

Sister Fai'zah,

I'm starting my own veggie/fruit/herb garden this year too inshallah. My grandparents and my mum are all greenfingered so I love the idea of having fresh stuff in my backyard.

Maybe we should swap tips?!

Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wasn't just sent to guide us Muslims, he is a unique, true example to EVERYONE.
This life is only a test-passing will equal Jannah, Inshallah!
Oh Muslim brothers and sisters-consider sponsoring an Orphan if Allah has blessed you with the finances to do so-Ameen.
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2008 07:08 AM »

I'm thinking garden! But it won't stop raining/ snowing/ hailing for long enough to even cut the grass!

Typically bizarre London weather  Roll Eyes

Wassalam
Princess1983
Sis

Princess1983 has no influence :(

Make duaa for those less fortunate than us.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2008 06:45 PM »

Hhhhmm Stoke's having the same weather so hubby won't help with garden  Angry will have to wait until Inshallah when the weather clears.

I've bought loads of seeds though  Roll Eyes

Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wasn't just sent to guide us Muslims, he is a unique, true example to EVERYONE.
This life is only a test-passing will equal Jannah, Inshallah!
Oh Muslim brothers and sisters-consider sponsoring an Orphan if Allah has blessed you with the finances to do so-Ameen.
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2008 09:20 PM »

Actually sis, we've had really great weather these past few days...we've managed to clear up the garden quite a bit, and plant some bulbs and vegetables too Smiley But I don't think it'll last very long...

By the way, when planting veggies, do you think it's better to plant them in pots and transfer them when they've grown into seedlings or sow them directly in the soil. The packet said to do the latter but with these heavy showers and hailstones I'm afraid we wont get anything apart from weeds.

Wassalam
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2008 03:06 AM »

Salaam,
I wanted to share with all of you my wonderful blessing Alhamdilliah (sp)
Recently I moved and have a beautiful 10 acre place.
There is a small orchard with apples trees, pear tree, cherry tree
and 3 nut trees and a small grape orchard 3 rows with approx 6 grape vines each.
They are what one calls wine grapes, but since I don't drink they will be used for making jams.
Inshallah, when my pc is fixed and running I'll see about posting some pictures.
I moved from a very rainy wet climate to a nicer, sunny and drier climate and have already lost 13 lbs.
My depression is eased and I feel like a totally different person not wanting to
sleep as much and waking up early anxious to start my day.
Been hanging clothes out on the line instead of using the dryer.
Allah is most wonderful and great to allow me sure a place.
I'm a bit behind and hope to till an area for a garden next week-end.
I'll take before and after pictures and post when I can.
azizah
purplehijabisis
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2008 12:53 PM »

Assalamo elikuim Sr.Azizah

WOW! I hope you have moved to SouthEast Smiley so that we can visit you Smiley
Your farm(is that is the correct word for it) sounds so good. For last two weeks we have been waiting for the 'strawberry you pick it farm' to open near our area. The kids are really excited about going to the farm and petting the animals etc, Inshallah may be this Saturday.

Wasalam
tq
cat
Sis

cat has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2008 12:32 PM »

Slm BlessedGrandma.  Your garden / smallholding / farm (?) sounds marvellous , Alhumdulillah.

I was looking for some info on how to start a vegetable garden and came across this nifty little invention.  For those that want to garden but do not want to bend and crouch.  Also good for the manicures (i think) Insha Allah Smiley 

Here is the link : http://www.flowgrow.co.za/indexframe.html

We are blessed here in Durban that we still have very good winters (dry but warm or at least the sun still glares down at us).  No such thing as frost and it never snows in Durban.  Although with global warming who knows what the climate is going to be in a few years time.

Also, what / how does one start a compost heap?  I read somewhere that we are not allowed to put waste food into a compost heap? 

Sorry for all the questions, but i am  so eager to start a small vegetable garden, Insha Allah.

I was thinking that if i could learn how to do this then i could pass the knowledge onto the local schools so that they can start feeding programs.  There are many school children who do not have the luxury of a decent meal and could do with some help like this, Insha Allah.

Let me know what you think of that "flowgrow" gadget please Smiley
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2008 01:26 AM »

Also, what / how does one start a compost heap?  I read somewhere that we are not allowed to put waste food into a compost heap? 

There are many web sites on composting.
Mainly you don't want to use any meat products.
I'll post a few sites later.
One thing that would be good is if you can find someone who raised either goats or rabbits.
Their manure is a 'cool' manure and can be used right away in the soil without composting
the hot manures such as cow and chicken which are hot manures meaning they can burn plants if not composted a year.
Horse is good but they sometimes have undigested seeds in their waste that can come out and seed, and
will cause weeds in gardens. What some do is put the horse poo in a bucket of water, let sit a few days
and use the water (using a fine screen to keep solids in the bucket) and you can use the water to water plants.
Will post composting web sites later Inshallah
purplehijabisis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: