Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A dua on both your houses.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lets join hands to save samosas  (Read 2532 times)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« on: Aug 01, 2011 03:07 PM »

Because some lame group has declared them haram cause' they think samosas are too christian Huh?

Islamist Group in Somalia Bans Samosas For Being Offensive:
http://foodbeast.com/content/2011/07/28/islamist-group-in-somalia-bans-samosas-for-being-offensive/

Last thing I wanna know is somebody declaring Rooh-Afzah haram, because drinking it is too vampirisque. And we all know that being a vampire is 100% haram!

PS: My apologies for talking food if somebody is fasting while reading this post.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2011 03:25 PM »

salam

I read this and practically fell off my chair, none of my friends would believe it was true.

People are starving,there's a drought on and these people are going around inspecting the shape of what little food is available.... They need to be soundly thrashed!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2011 03:28 PM »

salam,

hard2hit i'm surprised at you! you didn't even try to get their side and just trusted the western media tsk...

they actually banned samosas or sambosas as they're known over there because of a meat issue:

In a separate development, al-Shabab has banned the sale of beef and samosas in the famine-hit Lower Shabelle region.

It said traders were selling rotten meat from cattle that had died because of the famine. This was un-Islamic and threatened the health of people, al-Shabab said.

The BBC's Mohamed Dore in Mogadishu says al-Shabab has extended the ban to samosas, a popular savoury often filled with mince - accusing traders of stuffing the snack with cat meat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14283502

Suhaib Webb was talking about roohafza lately. He was like... last thing I want to drink after iftar is fat milk with red sugar syrup in it!! So true I don't understand how ppl can drink that stuff1! Maybe it's an acquired taste??
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2011 03:35 PM »

salam

Sr Jannah, that makes so much more sense!!!

Ruh-e-afza is also filled with a lot of colouring and it is indeedy an acquired taste, we drink rose scented milkshake....with a dollop of clotted cream vanilla ice cream (no low fat cooking in this household!).

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2011 04:09 PM »

I don't like Al-Shabaab at all!  I don't trust what they say either.

On the other hand, selling people samosas with questionable meat is simply not acceptable -if it is true.

For me, Ramadan without samosas is simply unthinkable. After Ramadan I don't care at all about them - especially if it is not home made.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2011 07:17 PM »

A.A.

I just thought the ban is too funny given the stated context. And the mainstream western media (beebs) seems to be showing the other side of the picture this time, which is all good.

As for Rooh-Afzah and rose drinks - I personally prefer Jam-e-Shireen which is from Qarshi herbel research company, and is a better product overall.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2011 10:51 PM »

sounds absurd to me too..

i loooove rooh afza. not with milk though, with lemon.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2011 12:42 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

My preferred brand of syrup comes from Singapore.

www.rosesyrup.com

Acquired taste it may be but nothing quite like it after Taraweeh!!! bro

PS Has anyone tried making crescent shaped samosas (instead of the normal triangular ones) for Ramadhan?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2011 01:48 AM »

PS Has anyone tried making crescent shaped samosas (instead of the normal triangular ones) for Ramadhan?

People here make square shaped samosas, but they're not called samosas. Lukhmi is the name.
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2011 02:00 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Made somosas, unfortunately not the crescent shaped ones but the triangle ones. I made them from scratch I might add, mixing dough & rolling out pastry. BrKhalid, you've inspired me for next Ramadan... Insh'Allah. I used to make the crescent ones when I was a young girl.... * recalls the good old days, when there was no such thing as ready made, rolled out pastry or worse still... Shop bought ones* Smiley

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying their somosa's.
Funnily enough I had some today for Iftar Wink

Ma'Salam

Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2011 02:09 AM »

I should quit looking at this thread till Iftar. Started fasting just an hour and a half ago and you guys are making my mouth water Smiley
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2011 05:46 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

On the crescent theme, I found this advert from BK whilst reading about Iftars in Houston!!

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2011/08/ramadan_begins_today.php

PS Probably the most famous crescent shaped food is the croissant which (yes you've guessed it) is French for crescent. bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
UmmWafi
Sis

Reputation Power: 12
UmmWafi has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2011 07:53 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

My preferred brand of syrup comes from Singapore.

www.rosesyrup.com

Acquired taste it may be but nothing quite like it after Taraweeh!!! bro

Salam Br Khalid

Here we also add evaporated milk to it to create a drink called air bandung

Wassalam
UmmWafi
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2011 07:57 AM »

ooppssss no clue how to make the picture smaller
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2011 09:14 AM »

A.A.

Here we also add evaporated milk to it to create a drink called air bandung

Guess I've been having a bandung almost daily last Ramadan. It is refreshing, especially when you add 7-Up or Sprite to it.

PS:
Resizing a picture while its still on your comp i.e. before the upload...

On Windows7:
1. Right click the pic and open it in MS paint. Thats the default program which comes pre-installed in windows.
2. Locate the "Resize" button at the top level menu.
3. Click the resize button and add 50 to the horizontal and vertical fields in order to reduce the image to almost half its original size.
4. Save the new image or simply save it over original image.
5. Upload the resized image by carefully observing the size on disk in Kbs. (Kbs = Kilobytes)

On flavors of windows earlier than Win7 you'll have to replace the resize button selection with the following:

2. Press Ctrl+A. And move the scrollers to locate the bottom right corner of your image.
3. Hold the corner of image with mouse by pressing/holding the left click and drag the corner towards top left of the image till it gets resized to the desired width/length.
. <follow rest of the steps >

I'm sure this was helpful. So feel free to press the "agree" button/link next to my display pic.

UmmWafi
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2011 02:00 PM »

Wlkmslm Br H2H

Funny part is...bandung is a city in Indonesia but every Singaporean who has been there will tell you tht n bandung native has heard of the drink. when u add 7-up or sprite we call it bandung soda. but like what br khalid said...rose syrup is still the best.

Wassalam

PS i couldnt find the resize button in mspaint
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2011 02:59 PM »

Walaikum Salam Sr UmmWafi

Good to see you on the board once more. bro

I have never heard of the evaporated milk thing before but reading the label on the bottle last night, it said you should mix 1 portion of syrup with 6 portions milk.

Given how red (as opposed to pink) some of these concoctions turn out, I am not sure the above is being strictly followed!!! 

akhan
Bro

« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2011 03:17 PM »

I like Rooh Afza, but nothing beats Faluda on a hot day Smiley

PS - Sr UmmWafi, right click the picture, edit, then Ctrl+W, then reduce the % to 50 or whatever size you want. This should work.
UmmWafi
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2011 03:59 PM »

Assalamu'alaikum Br Khalid

It is always good to be here. I don't know how ften I will be "back" for. Work is killing me. It is not the amount of work that is the problem but bureaucratic red-tapes and the agendas of non-Muslims to undermine efforts of Muslims who want to do good for the ummah.

Would appreciate yur du'ahs....

Wassalam
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2011 04:00 PM »

wsalam ummwafi,

i don't see the picture? can u attach it again and i'll resize it for u?

ws Smiley
akhan
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2011 06:59 PM »

wsalam ummwafi,

i don't see the picture? can u attach it again and i'll resize it for u?

ws Smiley

Jinns!!!  Grin
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2011 10:53 PM »

salam

Gosh I had no idea that rose syrup comes from Singapore, it's the only one we drink, my girls turn their noses up at anything else so I don't dare try to give them anything else....we've just run out, I'm hoping to give them chocolate milkshake tomorrow and pretend nothing is wrong as I can't get to the shops till Thursday!!!!!!!!

Wassalaam

UmmWafi
Sis

« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2011 03:08 AM »

Assalamu'alaikum

Juz out of curiosity, how much is the rose syrup selling for in the UK ?

Wassalam
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #23 on: Aug 03, 2011 05:36 AM »

ws,

I looked at that pink milk stuff again today but I couldn't bring myself to drink it! Samosas wish I knew how to make them but so labor intensive! When my mom makes them once or twice a year it's like a whole day thing with many ppl taking shifts wiping their brows Wink

Another nice Ramadan food is harirah... my sister in law just made some. Very filling and yummy.

Jinns!!!  Grin

stop talkin bout them!!  Shocked Shocked
akhan
Bro

« Reply #24 on: Aug 03, 2011 07:00 AM »

Jinns!!!  Grin
stop talkin bout them!!  Shocked Shocked
Really?! I was thinking about inviting them over for Iftar and serving them harira(which I don't like btw) Grin

btw, why do you guys hate the pink milk/rooh afza/rose milk so much? I always wondered why but never got the answer

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: