Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramadan Goes Green  (Read 420 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2791

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 01, 2011 03:52 PM »

Nice article..
---------

Go green for Ramadan

Islamic organizations hope to raise environmental awareness during annual fast

Chicago Tribune reporter

August 1, 2011

As Chicago-area Muslims begin the fast of Ramadan Monday, religious leaders are calling on the faithful to keep two causes in their prayers: the health of the planet and the people of Somalia who have been devastated by environmental crisis.

In partnership with aid organizations and a coalition of groups that provide support for African immigrants and refugees, the Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago hopes to raise awareness and charitable donations for drought-ridden Somalia during the obligatory fast.

"Everyone is aware and concerned about war and global warming, drought and water shortage," said Zaher Sahloul, chairman of the Islamic council. "But we need to change the behavior of our communities … and link it to the practice of fasting."

According to a recent statement by UNICEF — a United Nations agency that serves children and one of the designated recipients of the Ramadan fundraiser in Chicago — the famine in Somalia is the worst to hit Africa in 20 years.

"The council has always stepped up as the voice of the community to reach out to our Muslim brothers and sisters in Chicago to support the humanitarian efforts in the Horn of Africa," said Alie Kabba, executive director of the United African Organization. "As Muslims, it is incumbent upon us."

Sahloul said the Quran contains several references to the responsibility people have to serve as stewards of the earth, which is central to the Islamic faith. He is asking Muslims to live "greener lives" by conserving water, recycling and reducing their carbon footprints.

Sahloul hopes people will carry newfound awareness beyond the holy month and share it with their communities.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-muslim-ramadan-0801-20110801,0,2341915.story

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2011 04:22 PM »

Maasha-Allah! May Allah SWT reward their efforts, Ameen.

We should add healthy Ramadan eating, too.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: