Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Productive Was Your Day Today In Ramadan?  (Read 4253 times)
the_truth
Bro

Reps: 196

« on: Aug 05, 2011 04:08 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum,

This is a thread dedicated to posting how productive we think our day was this Ramadan with regards to worship so that we can give tips to each other effective tips, help and advice on how we can get the most out of everyday this Ramadan.

Also post if you need tips on how to maximise your day if you think you are not spending your day productively enough.

sadah
Brother
Bro

Reps: 386

Dont be sad...

« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2011 07:23 AM »

Salam.
I'm sick today. Couldnt even take the fasting. Pray for me.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2775

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2011 07:26 AM »

walaikum salam,

great idea for a thread brother!

I think i'm getting better at being more productive as we develop a regular ramadan schedule and our body gets used to fasting (not so ridiculously tired the whole day now). My problem is that I find myself conflicted in reading the Quran.  I start to read in Arabic at a good pace then switch to English sometimes slowing down then I start to do a word for word Arabic/English thing which is extremely slow! So I do want to complete the Quran but then I think what's the point unless I'm understanding it. But I do think there's an inherent benefit in just reading Quran even if u don't understand it. So, I don' know.

br sadah may Allah give u shifaa brother

ws

peace
Sis

Reps: 214

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2011 08:16 AM »

like sr. jannah i am also conflicted in reading the quran. My arabic speed is unfortunately not too good. Not like others who get done 1 chapter everyday! So i switch to english after a while then i feel maybe its not so sawab earning if i don't do arabic recitation and thats puts me off all together Sad. But I am thinking on these lines a lot these days i.e what earns more sawab, arabic recitation or understanding. Any insight would be helpful Smiley

Cinders
Sis

Reps: 254

« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2011 10:27 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Well with regards to Quran I struggle with reading Arabic. Alhamdulillah I managed to finish the whole Quran finally last Ramadan (although I did start part way through) in Arabic.
Well I made the intention to read the Quran in Arabic & English this year, so that I can understand what I'm reading. I've decided not to set myself unrealistic goals of finishing the Quran in Ramadan (as I won't be able to, especially with two young kids... More on that in my Ramadan diary).

What I've been doing is reading out loud following a sheikh, & then reading every Ayah's translation in English. It's looooong, but so beneficial Alhamdulillah. The words are so mesmerising & it touches the very core of your being. ( you can also figure out some of the Arabic words, especially if there's repetition of the words etc). I took Tafsir classes last year, so have also figured out some other words.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I've found it to be extremely beneficial. Also can I just remind those brothers & sisters who struggle with reading Arabic, that there's twice the reward for the hardship for those who find it difficult to read in Arabic (than those who can read quicker & find it easier) & also for every LETTER that you read in Arabic, there's reward in that too, Alhamdulillah, Allah is so merciful.
So my goal is to maintaining to read in this manner of Arabic & English & finish the Quran at least, Insh'Allah a couple of times by next Ramadan.

Ma'Salam
Cinders

PS, seriously I recommend those who struggle to take Tajweed classes after Ramadan if possible. I've been taking them for the last year (May Allah reward the teacher who teaches me abundantly, ameen) & they've proved to be very helpful with regards to rules & pronunciation.

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)

Mohamed
Bro

Reps: 22

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2011 02:53 PM »

I am speechless seeing your efforts yet I am arab, I have same vision like you Sis Jannah, when reading Qur'an I try being more productive by reading Tafsir too  in Ramadhan, I do complete the Quran in general but I think what's the point unless I'm not understanding it and fellowing it word by word. Anyway in Ramadhan i dont get angry easily :)and I feel diferente AlhamduliAllah

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2011 01:08 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Some useful tips passed on to me:

Top tip for concentrating during Taraweeh is not to overeat at Iftar.

Top tip for reading more Qur'an during the day is to read a little in any one sitting but increase the number of sittings (ie try not to read everything in one go every day)

Ultimately work out a routine that works for you and stick to it during the month. Unexpected occurrences, however, can really affect your concentration and motivation so don't get too despondent if sometimes the routine gets altered.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2011 09:42 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Top tip for concentrating during Taraweeh is not to overeat at Iftar.

That is my motto.

Top tip for reading more Qur'an during the day is to read a little in any one sitting but increase the number of sittings (ie try not to read everything in one go every day)

That reminded me of this Hadith:
Read the Qur'an as long as you are attentive, but when you feel your attention slip, put the Book away.
-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Jundub bin Adb'Allah

For me, I have focused on understanding the meaning of the Qur'an rather than just reading it. I have the Arabic version, the Arabic/English translation and the recitation in my cellphone by Sheikh Shuraim. So, though I can read the Qur'an in Arabic, I listen to the Surah on my cell to get the perfection in recitation while following it on the Arabic version. Then I read the meaning of the Surah on the Arabic/English version afterwards. Understanding the meaning of each Surah, reading the commentaries and related Hadiths makes the Qur'an more special, truly!

My concentration was on Surah Al-Kahf on Friday.

Plus I have Dua's that will make you weep, on my cellphone, too.  Alhamdu-Lillah!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

OUMFIRDAOUS
Sis

Reps: 2

Praise be to Allah.

« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2011 05:44 PM »

bism
   Congratulations to all the brothers and sisters who are struggling with reading the coran. Thanks Allah, you've got  a double reward  and that's a a great blessing from the Almighty , merciful Allah. Shame on every Arab who can read Arabic fluently and does not take time to read the quran . I know many who pray and  fast ,but keep the book of Allah at home as a part of the sitting room decoration.There is a verse in the quran that portrays this situation ; in this verse the prophet' salla allahu alaihi wa sallam' complains to Allah about people who forsake the quran .Allah subhanah said in surat alfurquan verse 30:(وَقَالَ الرَّسُولُ يَا رَبِّ إِنَّ قَوْمِي اتَّخَذُوا هَذَا الْقُرْآنَ مَهْجُوراً) "Then the messenger will say : "o my  lord ! truly my people took this quran for just foolish nonsense."
   To every Arab muslim who has forsaken the quran , I say (وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِنْ مُدَّكِرٍ) [القمر:17]"And we have indeed made the quran easy to understand and remember then is there any that will recieve admonition?" .So please try to open that holy book you have on the shelf ,clean the dust out of it and take time to read and understand it . Renew your faith during this holy month and let the words of Allah keep you company here in this world and the hereafter. May Allah be our guide in everything we do .OH ALLah we ask for your love and the love of those you love and every deed that brings us closer to your love. pinkhijabisis

sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #9 on: Aug 06, 2011 07:14 PM »

Shame on every Arab who can read Arabic fluently and does not take time to read the quran .  pinkhijabisis

Are  u not being too harsh! And not only Arabs, everybody is obliged to hold the Qur'an firmly.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"

OUMFIRDAOUS
Sis

Reps: 2

Praise be to Allah.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2011 07:38 PM »

bism  I am sorry I didn't mean to be harsh .It's just that being an Arab  , I pity my arab brothers and sisters who have been blessed with Arabic ,the language of the quran and yet don't use that gift to read Allah's words .It goes without saying that every Muslim believer must hold the quran firmly, It is everyone's mission to read the holy quran and spread the word . Also , it breaks my heart to see  those who bear the name of muslim in the arab world embrace western culture and forget about prayer which is the most important pillar in our religion.

sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #11 on: Aug 06, 2011 10:17 PM »

That's true. It's heartbreaking indeed. May Allah guide them and us(the ajamiyun) all.

the_truth
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2011 05:41 AM »

Salam.
I'm sick today. Couldnt even take the fasting. Pray for me.

Asalaamu Alaikum, May Allah give you shifa. Ameen

the_truth
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2011 05:51 AM »

walaikum salam,

great idea for a thread brother!

I think i'm getting better at being more productive as we develop a regular ramadan schedule and our body gets used to fasting (not so ridiculously tired the whole day now). My problem is that I find myself conflicted in reading the Quran.  I start to read in Arabic at a good pace then switch to English sometimes slowing down then I start to do a word for word Arabic/English thing which is extremely slow! So I do want to complete the Quran but then I think what's the point unless I'm understanding it. But I do think there's an inherent benefit in just reading Quran even if u don't understand it. So, I don' know.

br sadah may Allah give u shifaa brother

ws

Asalaamu Alaikum, what you should do is read as much of the Qur'an as possible in arabic in this blessed month as this is the month of the Qur'an, so although we should understand the Qur'an we should really concentrate on reading it in its original form in this month.

So what i would do is to read as much of the Qur'an as possible in arabic everyday and try to read one juz (chapter) a day in english and no more than that so that by the time Ramadan ends i would have completed the Qur'an in arabic as many times as possible and to complete the Qur'an in English just once.

REMEMBER: EVERY letter recited of the Qur'an in this month is 100 to 700 good deeds for each letter. Subhanallah!

When you do read it in English then savour the beautiful words and contemplate over the verses of Allah. Try your best to implement whatever you read for that is hwre the true reward of the Qur'an is. 

I would personally leave out the word for word english-arabic in this month as it is far too time consuming and you will not be as productive as you would like to be regarding rewards. You can do that throughout the year but in this month we need to be as productive as possible. Reading the translation would suffice. But it is upto you.

May Allah enable us to complete the Qur'an as many times as possible for the pleasure of Allah. Ameen

the_truth
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2011 05:59 AM »

like sr. jannah i am also conflicted in reading the quran. My arabic speed is unfortunately not too good. Not like others who get done 1 chapter everyday! So i switch to english after a while then i feel maybe its not so sawab earning if i don't do arabic recitation and thats puts me off all together Sad. But I am thinking on these lines a lot these days i.e what earns more sawab, arabic recitation or understanding. Any insight would be helpful Smiley

Asalaamu Alaikum,

My Sister do not worry if you recite slow EVERY letter you do recite of the Qur'an in Arabic in this month is 100 to 700 good deeds for each letter. Subhanallah!

So even at your slow pace you would be earning thousands of good deeds every few seconds. The more you struggle and the greater your intentions the bigger your rewards!

Because many of us do not read the Qur'an throughout the year then we will be very slow and stutter a lot at first but don't let it affect you. Your still earning thousands of good deeds every few seconds. So continue with your pace and imagine Allah watching you. Savour each word and imagine Allah beig pleased with you.

What you can do is to break it down so you read 2 pages of Arabic Qur'an and then take a break and then go back and read more. try to complete a chapter in a day. It is possible if you do 2-4 pages at a time. You will eventually get faster. It just takes a bit of time. So do not get frustrated about it but enjoy thousands of good deeds every few seconds even with reading very slowly. Subhanallah.

You can also try to read one chapter a day in your own language so that you can understand what you are reading. When you do read it in English then savour the beautiful words and contemplate over the verses of Allah. Try your best to implement whatever you read into your daily life because that is wheree you will gain the true reward of the Qur'an. 

May Allah enable us to complete the Qur'an as many times as possible for the pleasure of Allah. Ameen

morningdew
Sis

Reps: 4

« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2011 06:10 AM »

I too am one who insists on reading Quran in my mother tongue - English.
I want to learn the meanings and know them deep in my soul.
However, I also agree to hear the Arabic Quran is so beautiful I also listen to that.

I have a system that I do at the start of every year. I do not read Quran from from to back. I find if I do that I usually cannot finish reading the whole quran. So in my small pocket calendar in the back somewhere I number from 1 -114. Everytime I finish a chapter I cross off that number. To finish this Ramadan I need to read chapters 5,6,7,9,17.18,19,20,26 and I will have read the whole Quran this year.

I know it is not finishing in the month of Ramadan. But, it is finishing the whole Quran in a year. So I do have a satisfying feeling. I will start over next year doing this same system. 

Today at Mughrib I read chapter 25.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2011 06:54 AM »

wsalam,

thetruth i moved your general tips posts into a new thread, so this could be more of a discussiony type thread.

I would personally leave out the word for word english-arabic in this month as it is far too time consuming and you will not be as productive as you would like to be regarding rewards. You can do that throughout the year but in this month we need to be as productive as possible. Reading the translation would suffice. But it is upto you.

yes that's for sure, but what happens when you start studying arabic and grammar, is that you already know at least 50% so u can't help looking up various words you don't know so it ends up being extremely slow despite yourself. So you can't really do both unless you have hours available to you or are very disciplined.

morningdew i really like your idea... definitely could work and gives ppl a sense of completion and also that they are continuing their ibadah throughout the year. cuz it's so easy to pick up the quran only in ramadan!!

and there is no doubt there is a reason why ppl who find reading the quran difficult get double the reward, when you know Arabic you are reading words, otherwise you're reading letters... big difference!

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2011 11:12 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Another perspective on the issue of studying the Qur'an.

How the Salaf studied the Quran

Abdullah b. Mas’ûd – Allâh be pleased with him – said:

When a man amongst us learned ten verses [of the Quran], he would not move on [to the next verses] until he had understood their meanings and how to act by them.

Al-Tabarî, Al-Tafsîr 1:80. Shaykh Ahmad Shâkir graded its chain of transmission sahîh.

Abû ‘Abd Al-Rahmân Al-Sulamî said:

Those who used to teach us the Quran (the Companions) told us that they used to learn the Quran from the Prophet – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him; when they had learnt ten verses they would not move on until they put into practice what was in them. So we learnt knowledge and deeds (implementation) together.

Ibid. Shaykh Ahmad Shâkir graded its chain of transmission sahîh also.

http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/index.php/how-the-salaf-studied-the-quran/

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

JustOne
Sis

Reps: 172

« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2011 05:15 PM »

My goal for this month inshallah is to read the Quran once in Arabic, and to read the tafseer of surah bakarah. This is ambitious for me because I'm a painfully slow Arabic reader and I really need peace and quiet to read in Arabic.

And of course I'm already behind.

the_truth
Bro

« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2011 05:35 AM »

My goal for this month inshallah is to read the Quran once in Arabic, and to read the tafseer of surah bakarah. This is ambitious for me because I'm a painfully slow Arabic reader and I really need peace and quiet to read in Arabic.

And of course I'm already behind.

Asalaamu Alaikum, don't worry if your behind. Forget tomorrow concentrate on the present. Today is a new day and a new beginning. It doesnt matter how slow you are for every letter that you recite in Arabic is worth a minimum of 100 good deeds. So your still earning 1000's of good deeds every 2 minutes and on top of that those who struggle reading but are trying their best will get double reward. Lucky you!. So the speed is irrelevant.

Just do the best you can each day to achieve your target. Once you have reached your daily target then try to do more. Try to do dhikr as well and long dua's. Pray Tahajjud and as many Sunnah's and nawafil as you can on top of the fard prayers for each nawafil prayer is rewarded of that of a fard prayer.

If you need anymore help then please do not hesitate to ask.

the_truth
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2012 01:53 AM »

Have you Prepared for the Big Arrival?

Many people don’t understand or misunderstand the true essence of fasting, and they make it an occasion for eating and drinking, making special sweets and staying up late at night and watching shows on TV. They make preparations for that long before Ramadan; they look through aisles of grocery stores and skim through the satellite TV guide to plan their meals and accompanying TV shows! Ramadan is the month of fasting, a month of training and recharging, a month to be filled with worship; not a month of feasting and reclining!

Here are some practical tips on the best ways of preparing for the month of Ramadan like no other:

1. Feel Sincere Regret:

Actually repentance is necessary at all times, but as this amazing blessed month is approaching, it is more incumbent upon us to hasten back to Allah, to regret our sins, to fix our relationship with Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala), to amend relations with people; this is so when Ramadan begins you may work on yourself and perform acts of worship with a clean heart and mind inshaAllah.

Allah says what means:[COLOR="red"] “And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful(24:31)

The Prophet (peace be upon him), a man of exalted character, was reported seeking forgiveness from Allah seventy times a day. (Muslim)

The fact of the matter is that we have committed so many sins, major and minor, and those are just the ones we are aware of; what about all the sins we commit which we don’t even recognize, forget, or overlook? This Ramadan is an opportunity to turn back to Allah, begging for forgiveness for our sins, major and minor, intentional and unintentional, those we’ve commited once and those we’ve done repeatedly. Now is the time to repent.

2. Du’aa’ (Supplication):

It is reported that the Salaf would approximately pray to Allah for half the year that they would live until Ramadan, and then they would pray almost the other half that He would accept it from them, SubhanAllah!

As Muslims, we should ask Allah to let us live until Ramadan with a strong religious commitment and good physical health, and should ask Him to help us in obeying Him during this month and in asking Him to accept our good deeds.

3. Rejoice at Ramadan

The arrival of Ramadan is a great blessing that Allah bestows upon Muslims, because Ramadan is one of the occasions in which the gates of Paradise are opened and gates of Hellfire are closed. It is the month of the Quran and of decisive battles in Islamic history.

As mentioned in the Quran: [COLOR="red"]“Say: In the bounty of Allah and in His mercy – in that let them rejoice; it is better than what they accumulate.” [/COLOR](10:58)

4. Complete Qada Fasts

This is particularly important in preparation for Ramadan as often those who missed fasts in the previous year may have to rush in making them up before Ramadan. It is of great importance for women, the old, or those who were ill last Ramadan. You should complete any outstanding obligatory fasts from the previous Ramadan before this Ramadan arrives.

5. Seek Knowledge

Seek knowledge from your local mosque, trusted scholars, authentic books/Cd’s etc in order to understand and follow the rulings on fasting; otherwise like many a Ramadan you may not attain the spiritual sustenance and learn the key to fulfilling fasting. This will also help you understand the virtues of Ramadan, and to increase your knowledge, love, fear, good deeds. Then sit with your family to tell them of the rulings on fasting, and other things you learned – get them in the Ramadan mode early!

6. Fast in Sha’ban: Preparation for Ramadan

The Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) was reported to have fasted the most in Sha’ban.
(Bukhari, Muslim)

Therefore we should take advantage of opportunities to fast in this month.

7. Read Quran

The Salaf used to read Qur’an in preparing themselves to Ramadan:

• When Sha’ban began, ‘Amr ibn Qays would close his shop and free his time for reading Qur’an.

• Abu Bakr al-Balkhi said: [COLOR="red"]“The month of Rajab is the month for planting, the month of Sha’ban is the month of irrigating the crops, and the month of Ramadan is the month of harvesting the crops.He also said: [COLOR="red"]“The likeness of the month of Rajab is that of the wind, the likeness of Sha’ban is that of the clouds and the likeness of Ramadan is that of the rain; whoever does not plant and sow in Rajab, and does not irrigate in Sha’baan, how can he reap in Ramadan?Source:http://www.productiveramadan.com/have-you-prepared-for-the-big-arrival/

May Allah enable us to make the best of now in order to prepare for the arrival of ramadan.

We still have a week left so let us finalise our preperations so that we can be ready to make the best of every second of Ramadan upon its arrival in a weeks time.

tahirah
Sis

Reps: 199

« Reply #21 on: Jun 30, 2012 01:56 AM »

salaam

Reciting the actual Qur'an (i.e. in Arabic) has inherent benefits, but it should not necessarily be done at the exclusion of understanding and/or reflection.

I had an experience several Ramadans ago that has shaped my perspective. When I was reading the mushaf in a clinic waiting room, a nurse asked me if I understood what I was reading. I had to tell her that I didn't. I didn't even have the translation with me, because I felt the reading would go faster if I just had the mushaf. I realized I was so intent on finishing the Qur’an, that I wasn't taking out time to reflect on the verses, whether with the translation or tafseer or contemplation. I decided I really needed to rethink my relationship with the Qur’an.

We had an amazing Imam at the time who, when asked about finishing the Qur’an in Arabic vs. reading with the translation or tafseer with the risk of not finishing, reminded us that the salaf who finished the Qur’an 1, 2, or 3 times in Ramadan also understood what they were reading. They knew the language; they understood the tafseer from Ar Rasul saw, etc.

I don't think people should feel guilty about not being as fast as others, or not having as much time at their disposal. Nor should they feel like they have to finish reading the Qur’an in Arabic every Ramadan, especially if outside Ramadan they don’t read or reflect at all. I think it is more important to focus on establishing a good relationship with the Qur'an than to merely try to reach certain goals. The Qur’an was meant to be recited, but it was also meant to be reflected upon and implemented in our lives. Whatever our skills, abilities and personal circumstances are, we can tailor our goals around them with the main purpose in mind of improving our relationship with the Qur'an.

For example:

• A person who reads Arabic at an ok speed but not fast enough to finish the Qur’an in Ramadan, can start before Ramadan. We have almost 3 weeks before Ramadan, so we can start implementing some of our schedule now so that when Ramadan starts we don't spend the first few days struggling to adjust.

• The person who can't read Arabic at all can try to finish the translation during Ramadan, spend time reading tafseer, and if possible even look for opportunities to learn Arabic and Tajweed, so that in the future they will be able to transition into reading more and more Qur’an.

• A person who likes to memorize surahs, but has forgotten what they have memorized, they can slow down and focus on reviewing forgotten surahs before memorizing any new ones.

• A person who can read Arabic at a decent speed, but doesn't spend time reflecting, or doesn't understand what they are reading, can try to shift their focus to reading with translation or tafseer. It is slower and you may not finish all of it, but reflecting on how His Words relate to us has an incredible impact. And maybe it will help you to continue the practice outside of Ramadan.

• A mother who doesn't have as much time because of kids, etc. can make some personal time for the Qur'an, and also spend time helping her kids develop a love for the Qur’an. Helping others develop a relationship with Allah's Book has sooo many rewards, that we should not feel deficient for not having time to finish our goals (whether it is finishing the Qur’an or a certain amount of tafseer) – as long as we made a sincere effort to spend our time in beneficial way.

May Allah grant us a Ramadan filled with Baraka, save us from the Fire, and bestow on us the best reward in the Hereafter
tahirah

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2012 03:57 AM »

That was such an amazing post Tahirah!! JazakiAllah khair for that wonderful thoughtful reflection on our relationship with the Quran and all the examples you gave!! I totally agree with all of them!!  flowersis I find myself doing something a little different every year. Sometimes I'll follow our Shaikh exactly by reading the English of what he will read in Taraweeh. Or I'll read the entire translation on year, or the entire Quran in Arabic only, or half the Quran in Arabic only with meaning and so on Smiley The key is to try the various things!!

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2012 05:21 PM »

salaam

Reciting the actual Qur'an (i.e. in Arabic) has inherent benefits, but it should not necessarily be done at the exclusion of understanding and/or reflection.

My thoughts exactly. What is the point of reading it if you can't understand. Thanks for valid examples too.

I had an experience several Ramadans ago that has shaped my perspective. When I was reading the mushaf in a clinic waiting room, a nurse asked me if I understood what I was reading. I had to tell her that I didn't. I didn't even have the translation with me, because I felt the reading would go faster if I just had the mushaf. I realized I was so intent on finishing the Qur’an, that I wasn't taking out time to reflect on the verses, whether with the translation or tafseer or contemplation. I decided I really needed to rethink my relationship with the Qur’an.[/color]

I remember visiting Southern Sudan in 2003 for official business. Though the population was Christian in the South, they spoke Arabic fluently as it is/was the official national language. One of the Sudanese colleagues spoke to me in Arabic and he saw the blank expression on my face. I told him I don't speak or understand Arabic. His response was: "But you are Muslim!" He then wanted to know if I could read the Qur'an and I said yes and went on to tell him that it was through memorization. It was the first time I felt embarrassed about not speaking or understanding Arabic.

As far as understanding the Qur'an goes, I now listen to the recitation as well as the meaning online (though I have the Arabic/English Version for reading as well). And the best sight I use is Qur'an Explorer where the each verse recited is translated. I can choose from a number of Sheikhs for the recitation - though I prefer Huzaifi (Hudeyfi). Here is the link:

http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

tahirah
Sis

Reps: 199

« Reply #24 on: Jul 02, 2012 03:34 AM »

Halima, it's amazing how one brief conversation can have such on impact!

What is the point of reading it if you can't understand.

I didn't want to suggest that there is no point in reading the Qur'an without understanding it. If we only read the Qur'an (no translation, no tafseer, etc.), we can get at least 10 rewards, not per Ayah, but per letter. This is whether we understand or not. So a person who does just that will, insha Allah, still have a tremendous reward with Allah. My point was only that we shouldn't feel guilty if we slow down in order to understand and reflect on the verses. But I think there is value in both approaches.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: