Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping the Faith in the Face of Famine  (Read 301 times)
Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« on: Aug 07, 2011 02:07 AM »

Keeping the Faith in the Face of Famine

Already weakened from months of hunger, many Somali Muslims struggle to observe Ramadan.
By Hortense M. Barber
Posted: 08/03/2011 03:57 PM EDT
Filed Under Somalia, Africa, Islam

Ramadan began Monday, but for some in the world, observing the Muslim holy month will be a particular challenge this year.

In recent months, the Horn of Africa—which includes Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia and Djibouti—has been slammed by a brutal drought that has left about 12.4 million people needing aid due to widespread famine, according to the United Nations.

So, in a nation like Somalia where most people practice Islam, observing Ramadan’s fast (which includes abstaining from food and water from dawn till dusk and breaking the fast at sundown with a meal to regain strength for the next day’s fast) is going to be very difficult if not impossible.

For one, during the past several weeks and months, many have already been forced to fast due to the lack of food and are weak. And now, keeping them from being in accordance with Ramadan, there is no food with which to break their fasts.

Still, some in the nation suffering the ravages of famine are choosing to fast anyway.

http://www.bet.com/news/global/2011/08/03/keeping-the-faith-in-the-face-of-famine.html.html

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: