Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Food for fuel  (Read 2039 times)
Eleanor
Sis

Reps: 81

« on: Aug 05, 2011 10:57 PM »

Salaam alaikum  Grin

Long time, no see.. hehehe..

Just a quick question. We eat suhoor at 3.45am here and iftar is after 9pm. I've been eating stuff like wholemeal toast with peanut butter, banana, dried fruit and nuts for breakfast. Just wondering does anyone have a better suggestion that might stop the blood sugar slump I get in the afternoon which makes my kids and husband hide from me till I feel better?
I'm thinking tomorrow I'll try porridge instead of the toast and add fruit and nuts. Eggs would be good but I cannot face either cooking or eating them at 3.45am.

What does everyone else eat and how long is the fasting day where you are?

wasalaaaaaam
eleanor
 Grin

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2777

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2011 06:07 AM »

walaikum salaam eleanor!!!

wow we have an eleanor sighting!!! i think u haven't posted since 2000 or something Wink welcoem back... how many irish-pak kids do u have now like 6? Smiley alhamdulillah nice to see u posting this ramadan... we had a bhaloo sighting a while back and maybe we'll have a abu khaled sighting too to complete everything Smiley

Anyways yess for suhoor i think they say the best foods are like breakfast foods that fill you up and keep you from craving a lot of stuff... ie oatmeal and cereals, bagels, that kind of stuff... i just received a good email on this subject i'll post it here!!

take care iA

----------------
Health Tips for Ramadan

This article provides useful tips on how to avoid some common problems encountered in Ramadan. If followed, it would enable one to fast comfortably and enjoy fully the spiritual benefits of Ramadan. During the holy month of Ramadan, our diet should not differ very much from our normal diet and should be as simple as possible. The diet should be such that we maintain our normal weight, neither losing nor gaining. However, if one is over-weight, Ramadan is an ideal time to normalize one's weight.

Consume Slow Digesting Foods

In view of the long hours of fasting, we should consume slow digesting foods including fibre containing-foods rather than fast-digesting foods. Slow digesting foods last up to 8 hours, while fast-digesting foods last for only 3 to 4 hours.

Slow-digesting foods are foods that contain grains and seeds like barley, wheat, oats, millet, semolina, beans, lentils, whole meal flour, unpolished rice, etc. (called complex carbohydrates). Fast-burning foods are foods that contain sugar, white flour, etc. (called refined carbohydrates).

Fibre-containing foods are bran-containing foods, whole wheat, grains and seeds, vegetables like green beans, peas, sem (papry), marrow, mealies, spinach, and other herbs like methie, the leaves of beetroot (iron-rich), fruit with skin, dried fruit especially dried apricots, figs and prunes, almonds, etc..

The foods eaten should be well balanced, containing foods from each food group, i.e. fruits, vegetables, meat/chicken/fish, bread/cereals and dairy products. Fried foods are unhealthy and should be limited. They cause indigestion, heartburn, and weight problems.

AVOID

*Fried and fatty foods.
*Foods containing too much sugar.
*Over-eating especially at sehri.
*Too much tea at sehri. Tea makes you pass more urine taking with it valuable mineral salts that your body would need during the day.
*Smoking cigarettes.  Smoking is unhealthy and one should stop completely.

EAT

Eat complex carbohydrates at sehri so that the food lasts longer making you less hungry. Haleem is an excellent source of protein and is a slow-burning food. Dates are excellent source of sugar, fibre, carbohydrates, potassium and magnesium. Almonds are rich in protein and fibre with less fat. Bananas are a good source of potassium, magnesium and carbohydrates.

DRINK
As much water or fruit juices as possible between iftar and bedtime so that your body may adjust fluid levels in time.

CONSTIPATION
Constipation can cause piles (haemorroids), fissures and indigestion with a bloated feeling.

Causes: Too much refined foods, too little water and not enough fibre in the diet.

Remedy: Avoid excessive refined foods, increase water intake, and use bran in baking, brown flour when making roti.

LETHARGY ('low blood pressure')

Excessive sweating, weakness, tiredness, lack of energy, dizziness, especially on getting up from sitting position, pale appearance and feeling faint are symptoms associated with "low blood pressure". This tends to occur towards the afternoon.

Causes: Too little fluid intake, decreased salt intake.
Remedy: Keep cool, increase fluid and salt intake.
Caution: Low blood pressure should be confirmed by taking a blood pressure reading when symptoms are present. Persons with high blood pressure may need their medication adjusted during Ramadan. They should consult their doctor.

HEADACHE

Causes: Caffeine and tobacco-withdrawal, doing too much in one day, lack of sleep, hunger usually occurs as the day goes by and worsens at the end of the day. When associated with "low blood pressure", the headache can be quite severe and can also cause nausea before Iftar.

Remedy: Cut down caffeine and tobacco slowly starting a week or two before Ramadan. Herbal and caffeine-free teas may be substituted. Reorganise your schedule during the Ramadan so as to have adequate sleep.

LOW BLOOD SUGAR
Weakness, dizziness, tiredness, poor concentration, perspiring easily, feeling shaky (tremor), unable to perform physical activities, headache, palpitations are symptoms of low blood sugar.

Causes in non-diabetics: Having too much sugar (i.e. refined carbohydrates especially at suhur (sehri)). The body produces too much insulin causing the blood glucose to drop.

Remedy: Eat something at sehri and limit sugar-containing foods and drinks.

Caution: Diabetics may need to adjust their medication in Ramadan, consult your doctor.

MUSCLE CRAMPS
Causes: Inadequate intake of calcium, magnesium and potassium foods.

Remedy: Eat foods rich in the above minerals (e.g. vegetables, fruit, dairy products, meat and dates).

Caution: Those on high blood pressure medication and with kidney stone problems should consult their doctor.

PEPTIC ULCERS, HEART BURN, GASTRITIS AND HIATUS HERNIA

Increased acid levels in the empty stomach in Ramadan aggravate the above conditions. It presents itself as a burning feeling in the stomach area under the ribs and can extend up to the throat. Spicy foods, coffee, and Cola drinks worsen these conditions.
Medications are available to control acid levels in the stomach. People with proven peptic ulcers and hiatus hernia should consult their doctor well before Ramadan.

KIDNEY STONES

Kidney stones may occur in people who have less liquid to drink. Therefore, it is essential to drink extra liquids so as to prevent stone formation.

JOINT PAINS
Causes: During Ramadan, when extra salah are performed the pressure on the knee joints increases. In the elderly and those with arthritis this may result in pain, stiffness, swelling and discomfort.

Remedy: Lose weight so that the knees do not have to carry any extra load. Exercise the lower limbs before Ramadan so that they can be prepared for the additional strain. Being physically fit allows greater fulfillment, thus enabling one to be able to perform salah with ease.

You should always consult with your own personal doctor or healthcare provider for appropriate advice concerning your specific health needs and care during Ramadan.

Regards
Shahid Khan

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2011 03:07 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Good to see you Sr Eleanor, Ramadhan Mubarak to you and the family bro

We eat suhoor at 3.45am here and iftar is after 9pm

London is a bit further East so Suhoor is around 3:30am with Iftar around 8:45pm.

Back in the day we used to drink Horlicks at Suhoor. I wonder if anyone still drinks Horlicks/Ovaltine/Milo before fasting Huh?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

Eleanor
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2011 03:40 PM »

Salaams,

2000 jannah?!  Cheesy

Thanks for the article. It's exactly what i was looking for. It seems I was eating the right stuff after all - bananas, dates and almonds being in the top 4. I'm going to try some turkey slices tomorrow also and see how that goes. I didn't make the porridge this morning - I'm always way too bleary-eyed at 3.30am to do much more than make tea and toast.

The article also makes so much sense about the headaches (husband didn''t cut down his espresso habit and was crucified with headaches for the first few days) and also about the tiredness/low blood pressure.

Insha Allah it's going good this year so far. I'm working on the "not being an irritable grumpy person while fasting" at this point as the food and drink thing is in the bag, insha Allah.

BrKhalid, are you back in England now? I have never drunk Horlicks or Ovaltine in my life and not about to start now!
What is even in that stuff?

waslaam
eleanor.

OUMFIRDAOUS
Sis

Reps: 2

Praise be to Allah.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2011 04:56 PM »

salaam
Well as you said sister eleanor  you're eating the right stuff.here in Morocco , we eat suhoor around 3:30 and iftar at 19:37 . concerning suhoor , It consists of juice , tea , bread and olive oil or cheese , some dates , a slice of cake and 'sfouf' a special moroccan dish in Ramadan made of a mixture of  ground almonds , sesame ,flour , butter, cinnamon , anise,  gum acacia and powdered sugar. As for iftar, We have Moroccan soup , tea or coffee , pancakes , cake , bread and olive oil , honey , eggs , 'sfouf' and 'shbakia' very special Moroccan sweet cakes in  Ramadan.
     Sister Jannah 's article is quite interesting , It made everything clear.Excellent help tips for Ramadan.

Eleanor
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2011 09:03 PM »

Cake for breakfast? I like! 17 mins to Iftar here.. table is set, all ready... tick...tick...

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2777

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2011 10:12 PM »

Milo is chocolate powder for milk I think?? At least it was in Syria. Milk is probably a nutritious thing to drink. Glad the article helped ppl Cheesy Yayy for iftar time bottom's up Sláinte!  (can we use that for bebzi as well?)  bebzi

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2011 10:18 PM »

salam

For suhoor, I either eat left overs from the night before, or porridge and a cup of tea. And about a gallon of water ( I swear I drink my entire years quota of water during ramadan)

Last night/this morning I had cheesecake with my tea, I think cheese staves off hunger....so this is going to be our next experiment (given the less than enthusiastic repsonse to the cow one), can everyone eat cheesecake at suhoor and then report back during the day as to how hungry or not they are please. Thank you!

I'll post up the cheesecake recipe at some point.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Eleanor
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2011 10:46 PM »

Well I can eat cheese I suppose. I have some cheddar and some feta there.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2011 12:47 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Horlicks is a malted milk drink which is claimed to help with sleeplessness.

It's been around for years and according to Wikipedia very big in India (perhaps Br akhan can give us more insight there!!)

Cheesecake for Suhoor Huh?

Do we at least get a choice of lemon, strawberry or vanilla? Wink

On the topic of good fuel foods, what about pumpkin?

PS Yes back in London Sr Eleanor and enjoying the 'summer' !! bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2011 02:09 AM »

Horlicks used to be very big in India, but now children aren't drinking milk in the first place, forget about Horlicks. I never drank Horlicks when I was a kid. In Jeddah, I used to drink Ovaltine and when I moved to Hyderabad, it was plain milk until Milo was launched, from there it was Milo for a very long time. Actually I never cared about what went into my milk. It was the free gifts that came with Milo which were very attractive. I still have the cricket stumps that once came with it, plus there were bats and tennis balls and frisbees and a lot of other things Smiley Good ol' times Smiley

Shahida
Sis

Reps: 477

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2011 01:45 PM »

Salam alaikum

Woohoo Elli's back!  Glad to see you around mashaAllah, and ramadaan kareem Smiley

I dont eat much at suhoor, but notice that if i have protein instead of cereal, i feel much better.  Had toast with cheese and polony this morning and doing well alhamdulillah.

Suhoor at about 5am, iftaar at 5:47 or so...not a long day, but chilly cold taraweehs.  The heater in the masjid keeos tripping the electricity, but we do need it Wink

InshaAllah we will all have a great ramadaan.
How are your kiddies?  princesssis and  desibro
Salam
S purplehijabisis

Eleanor
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2011 11:44 PM »

Walaikum assalam!
Kids are good, Alhamdulillah. Ali's started to learn Arabic and fasts for portions of the day and for meals that he doesn't really like. "Oh, I'm fasting"  Roll Eyes  sudanibro
Ayesha is a law onto herself. She's a real Daddy's girl. Seriously, are there any Ayeshas in the world that are quiet and docile? We named her for the Prophet's wife and man, is she a fiesty girl!  princesssis

I think I found a secret missing ingredient from Sehri - Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (aswell as the banana, dates, almonds, pb toast etc). I felt so, so good all day today. No hunger or tiredness at all until after 6pm. Or maybe just my body has realised that this is how it's going to be, so deal.  Cheesy

Either way, I'll be having the CNC's in the morning too, insha Allah.

Where are you now Shahida? What field are you working in?

Yes jannah, Sláinte!  bebzi  Grin

akhan
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2011 01:58 PM »

I have all the "you shouldn't have that" stuff Smiley
Spicy and oily curries with roti or rice..once had biryani too. The way we're used to it, it's not that bad. No headaches, no acidity, nothing..Alhamdulilah.

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2011 02:04 PM »

salam

I've been experimenting with this, riiillly spicy food at suhoor gives me heart burn as my stomach empties, it also does not help with the breath, rice makes me hungrier about two minutes after I've eaten it (what's with that?)!

I've found eating porridge, fruit, cheesecake (Vanilla flavour Br Khalid) and cheese is filling and my breath is ok for work. I hate the thought of smelling bad and causing others discomfort in being around me.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me they've begun the cow experiment.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

akhan
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Aug 09, 2011 03:40 PM »

Last year, in Saudi, I used to have cereal and milk for suhoor because by the time we returned from taraweeh in Makkah, it would be too late and getting up in a couple of hours to cook was not a very good idea. I had bad breath problems with that! And I also felt hungry two minutes after having it Smiley We need heavy duty food all the time Grin We switched to Ful after a few days and felt much better, not perfect though Smiley

tq
Sis

Reps: 189

« Reply #16 on: Aug 09, 2011 03:54 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Welcome back Sr.Eleanor ! WOW I still remember when you got married and then when you had your first baby Ali, and now he is trying to fast!!
As somebody mentioned, try eating comples carb and protien - they stay longer in the stomach Smiley
The best is whole wheat with less oil paratahs and eggs Smiley easily made and available.

Wasalam
tq

Eleanor
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2011 11:21 PM »

The best is whole wheat with less oil paratahs and eggs Smiley easily made and available.

I know! But I cannot cook stuff at 3.30am. I just can't!! And husband is useless. He tells me to wake him 5 mins before azhan and he drinks some milk and scarfs some dates.

I made a fruit cake today. Mostly dried fruit in there with some flour and an egg. I think a slice of this would be good.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying it this year. Alhamdulillah. I think it's because I became more aware of what I eat about a year ago and lost around 35lbs. So now I'm more concious of food choices etc and don't just reach for whatever tastes good.

Br. akhan, that's good that you can eat your normal stuff with no side-effects.  Kiss

Still have to try the cheesecake, Fozia!

blackrose
Sis

Reps: 31

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2011 03:42 AM »

salaam

Welcome back sister Eleanor!!!! (I was silverose before:)

Your husband sounds like me that is exactly what I like to do! Eat a few dates and drink tons right before Fajr!

Fozia I have tried cream cheese before and it is filling for sure, you don't feel as hungry!

ruqayyah
Sis

Reps: 1

« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2011 04:21 AM »

Salams,

In scotland we've been keeping 20 hour fasts...sehri has been at 1.33am and Iftar started at about 21.31...

It's strange though...when I was at school, I remember getting really hungry even though fasts used to open at 1630 then - seems like kids play now! I was always in the old school gang with my parents eating a pratha at sehri time...but the longer the fasts get, my body just can't do it! You have barely digested Iftar when it is is time for suhoor...this year I even had one day when I only ate a date and had some water for suhoor! That is unheard of from me lol.

Generally, ive found a seeded toast with scrambled egg works for me and as much water as I can drink! Keeping hydrated is really important moreso than keeping full...

I did buy some pistaschio nuts and figs as heard they would keep you full but cant say im a huge fan of the latter! Vanilla cheesecake sounds good though - will have some tonight Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: