Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramadhan - A windfall for beggars in Hyderabad  (Read 661 times)
akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« on: Aug 09, 2011 08:59 PM »

Article in the local newspaper (The Hindu)
============================================================================================
As soon as the holy month of Ramadan has begun the number of beggars coming to Hyderabad from various parts of the country increases day by day. Though the beggar is either a Hindu or a Muslim he adopts his family profession of begging but in the age of development, the mode of begging has also witnessed a revolutionary change.

Even young and healthy men are also seen spreading their hands for alms without hesitation. Similarly Lambada women who can speak Urdu fluently use burqa to fool public. On the other hand beggars coming from other states especially from Chattisgarh have adopted shrewd measures to get alms, lending the local beggars in trouble.

A beggar of Chattisgarh produced his 2 year old girl in such a condition that brought tears in the eyes of spectators. The girl had deep wound but in reality it was not wound but a solution was applied. The solution has such an effect that when applied it looks as if the area is scorched by burns.

On one signal a beggar with innocent children with plastered hands collected large amount of alms from the passersby. When asked why his children have been plastered the cunning beggar told that this way he gets alms easily from people.

Some women make their children drink narcotic drugs to make believe that the children are starving to death and are in urgent need of food. Some beggars kidnap small children for beggary.

So the next time you grope your pocket for a rupee or two on your way, wait for a minute and be sure that your hard earned money which is Allah’s money entrusted upon you, is put on a deserving hand not to the fraud beggars.

lucid
Bro

Reps: 156

« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2011 09:57 PM »

brother akhan,

i am sure that you work very hard for your money, as  did your parents and relatives, and this may have made you very cynical or distrustful of beggars and very poor people.

however, what you are doing by suspecting these beggars all the time (i believe) is committing "dhun"  -- which loosely translates to suspicion.  you can discount a lot of what people say based on experience, but discount everything.  that is not the islamic way; trust is integral part of our faith -- trust in god, and trust in god to protect you from being taken advantage of.

today i even got punished for committing the same type of thing.  a streetchild approached a car i was in, which had stopped at a streetlight.  he was selling white flowers. i wanted to buy some for my grandmother (don't laugh, she loves white flowers)  and because i wanted to help the kid.  the driver haggled with the the 10 year old seller who asked for 200 taka. the driver told me the kid would actually sell them for 50 taka.  the seller said the price he bought the flowers were for 90 taka. once the streetlight turned green we left. on the way home we stopped at the same intersection and another streetchild was selling the same flowers and he said the price he had bought them for was 130 taka.  clearly this was a contradiction!  the driver tried to reason with him, but the light then turned green.  the driver turned to me and said that the flowers couldn't be bought for less than 100 taka, and asked me whether i still wanted to buy them.  because the light was green, and because i was suddenly less drawn to the kid by the obvious contradiction, i hesitated, and didn't say anything for the split second the driver was waiting for me to make a decision.  since i didn't make a decision, he drove away.  i felt bad, and knew i should have bought the flowers; it was the right thing to help the kid selling it even if he was somewhat untruthful, and actually 100 taka was not unfair according to the driver, and the extra amount he wanted was pretty trivial. 

we then drove to a shop just down the road where i bought new speakers for my computer for 950 taka.  i went home and found the box was unsealed, and that the box had been opened. they were probably returns from someone who returned them because they were defective.  and indeed they did hiss a bit, when they shouldn't have.  so i basically lost 950 taka (you can't return stuff here and get a cash refund Sad )   basically because i was too hesistant to pay a streetkid a little extra for flowers for my gran.  so instead of making 2 people happy (the kid and my grandmother), i not only achieved nothing, i also managed to swindle myself out of about 50 times what i had tried to save.

that's what happens to stupid people like me... Smiley

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2778

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2011 10:37 PM »

wsalam,

i don't think akhan wrote that article, think he was just posting it... altho i have a feeling he agrees with it  Cheesy

lucid interesting story. i think ur probably part of society over there now so hate getting ripped off. but sometimes paying a few more dollars/taka here and there to kids, certain good shop keepers, muslim businesses, is worth it. they're in business after all, and their job is to make a variable profit on top of what they paid for it. it sux to be the one paying more and not be the aunty housewife that somehow gets rock bottom prices Wink but in the end i just believe it's a better way to live for us instead of hard core bargaining and nitpicking over the price of everything. and Allah knows best. happy ramadan btw!

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2011 11:08 PM »

he was selling white flowers. i wanted to buy some for my grandmother (don't laugh, she loves white flowers) 

That is actually touching! Very thoughtful and lovely of you. Your grandmother must be quite a lady, Maasha-Allah.

I think it is your intention that counts when it comes to sadaqa of any kind. The night before in Taraweeh, we were reading a flyer posted on the wall in the sister's area of the Masjid. It was regarding fundraising for the drought in Somalia. One Somali lady asked what it was about and we told her. Her response was: "Who knows if the funds collected is really sent to those in need." The sister I was with responded: "for you or anyone willing to donate, it is your intention that counts with Allah SWT." I was thinking the same thing. The lady agreed too.

On the other hand, I can relate with the article akhan posted. In my Ramadan diary of 2009, I mentioned about women who came to the Majid during Iftar time all dressed in Jilbab. A lady called a friend of mine who was with us when were distributing food by name and he recognized her. After we were done, he told us she was Christian and only dressed as Muslim to get food. It still didn't deter us from giving out Iftar the next evening.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2011 01:47 AM »

To begin with, sis Jannah is right, I didn't write that article. It appeared in the local newspaper a few days ago. Secondly, with all due respect bro lucid, I don't think it is worth getting into beggar brawls.

Whatever kind of charity I ever give is to charities and madrasahs where I can be sure that my money will be put to good use rather than giving it to somebody I can't trust. That way it also becomes a means of Sadaqa Jariyah which I think is far better than one time charity. The way I see it, the Prophet(S) also said that only money and intention is not enough, you're supposed to invest some time to figure out that your charity is being spent on the right things. That pretty much sums it up for me. I am not nitpicking but rather donating to causes I am comfortable with and can be 100% sure that the money will be put to good use. Is that a problem?

In any case, I guess your preference with beggars and mine with other sorts of charity will keep both in business till we reach a consensus. So, don't worry too much.

sis Halima, the Somalia case is different. You certainly can't go half the world to find out if the money reaches the right people so I think the intention is enough. But, here I can be pretty sure that most beggars are deceitful and giving to madrasahs is the better and safer option.

Mubaraka
Sis

Reps: 412

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2011 09:47 AM »

Assalaamualikum

Br. lucid it was really nice of u to think of getting flowers for ur grandma..
However,u must not attribute ur loss of buying a defective speaker to not buying the flowers from the less fortunate children...u had been good enough by intending to help the child,yet u had not been unreasonable to get a good bargain...Allah knows ur intention...this is what that counts...and we never know what Allah had prevented u with by making u buy the defective speaker.. and Allah knows the best.There is always a next time Smiley..better late than never...u can get the flowers from those children some other time maybe... that will make u less regretful inshAllah and ur grandma all the more proud of her thoughtful grandson Smiley

Coming to the topic of beggars-it is really  is a cause of concern in hyderabad that beggars are actually travelling miles to 'earn' a good sum in this sacred month.Most of the beggars are not the really 'needy' ones...
Most of them are professional beggars-they make their living out of begging-a thing which is strongly disliked in Islam.
Many of them are physically and mentally sound,they can earn a decent living by working..but what can be more easy than just asking?
(At least the children in Br lucid's post were trying to work for a living..)

I will share something which my uncle had once narrated to me-There used to be a healthy and young man (just shabbily dressed)who had been begging at the very same spot everyday in the route that my uncle takes  to work...one day he asks my uncle for money.So my uncle gives him the money but asks  that  as he is young and healthy,why doesn't he work and earn like others do and he  offers him a job of a worker in his shop - the answer he gets from the beggar is worth listening to!!
It seems he asked as to how much uncle was willing to pay, knowing which he declined the job offer saying he gets more than that by begging and that he has a multistory building and a good bank balance to maintain!!!!

My friend's mom  told me once  that she knows of a beggar who once said  to her that his wife does not allow him to enter the house until he brings 1000 rupees everyday from begging!He had recently built for himself a big and beautiful house in a well developed locality!!

It is very easy to ask..but the really needy out there are the ones who are ashamed and hesitant to ask...and any body who knows the value of hard work and money earned out of it will definitely like to 
be sure that their money is going to a right place..but of course an intention of giving is what Alalh sees.May Allah help reward us all.ameen

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: