// Question on Intercession?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "I will demonstrate to the world that the Qur'an is a spiritual sun that shall never set and shall never be extinguished." - Bediuzzaman Said Nursi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Intercession?  (Read 1752 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Mar 10, 2008 04:23 AM »

If someone believed that a fundemental principle in Islam is that there is no
 intercession nor intermediary between humans and their Lord, how can that be reconciled
 with the fact that the Prophet peace be upon him will intercede on our behalf in the
 hereafter?

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2008 11:50 PM »

Asalamu alaikum wrt,

All praise be to Allah.

Respected brother,

In Islam, there is no intermediary between a servant and his Lord.  Some bedouins asked the Prophet (s):  "Is our Lord close, so we may have close personal discourse with Him, or is He far away, so that we may call out to Him?"  On this occasion, the following verse of Surah Baqarah was revealed (translation of meaning):

002.186 When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, listen to My call, and believe in Me: that they may walk in the right way.

This verse is clear evidence that there is no need for a believer to take an intermediary to seek a means of "closeness" to Allah, as He is already near to us, and all that we need to do is call on Him.

As for the concept of Shafaa' of the Prophet (s) on the Day of Judgment, when all the people will be waiting for the Judgment to start, suffering from the heat of that Day, they will go to the Prophets, who will each turn away from them and say "Myself, Myself!", the people will finally turn to our beloved Prophet (s), who will prostrate under the throne of the Lord of the Universe, for a long time, until Allah will say to him:  "Arise and ask!", so the Prophet's intercession will be accepted and the Judgement will begin.

Indeed this is a great honor for our Prophet (s), and a sign of his high status with Allah.  However, this honoring is not evidence for someone to take the Prophet's (s) status with Allah as a means of approach to Allah, such as saying "Oh Allah, I ask you by the honor of so-and-so", as the Ulema have pointed out the danger of shirk in such statements.  Benefit and Harm belong to Allah alone.

However, a person may seek a means of approach to Allah using His Beautiful Names, calling out "Ya Rahmaan, oh Merciful One!" for example, or by his righteous actions, such as the 3 who were entrapped in a cave by a rock, and they each turned to Allah asking by some good sincere action thay had done, until the boulder moved.  One may also seek the dua of a living righteous person, by saying "Please mention me in your dua'."

But as for calling on Allah by the dead, saints, or Prophets, this has not been authentically narrated from the Prophet (s) and may lead one to fall into the misguidance of calling on others besides Allah, Most High.

May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon our Noble Prophet Muhammad, and his family, and companions.

And Allah knows best.

Shaykh Abdurahman

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2008 07:20 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

In addition to the above, please also bear in mind that there are many verses in the Qu’ran where Allah swt mentions that permission will be given to some in respect of intercession on the Day of Judgement.

"No intercession can avail in His Presence, except for those for whom He has granted permission.[34:23]

There is also the well known Hadith about the reward for a Hafiz who learns the Qu’ran *and* practices upon it.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2008 03:17 PM »

Salaams,

Intercession/Tawassul:

Legal form of Intercession

There are different scholarly opinions on this subject Smiley

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2008 09:47 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt,

Honorable brother,

All praise be to Allah.

To get back to the original question about intercession, I think it needs further clarification.

Dr. Booti explains it thus:

If one goes to a doctor, and receives medical treatment, and finds a cure to his or her illness, this cure should be attributed to Allah.  The doctor is only a means by which Allah cures His servants. 

If a person thinks that the doctor himself cured him, then this is a type of shirk.  Harm and benefit come only from Allah.

Likewise, Dr. Booti explains: if a person receives intercession on the Day of Judgment, this is a result of Allah's Mercy.  Allah may choose that the vehicle for His Mercy be His Prophet (peace be upon him), or the Quran, or righteous actions.  They are the means that Allah chooses to show His Mercy to His creation.

However, if a person believes that Prophet (peace be upon him) is the one who actually grants him success in the afterlife, then he has committed a type of shirk.

End of comments by Dr. Booti.

I hope this makes things clearer  Smiley

May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Messenger Muhammad, his family, and companions.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2008 12:12 AM »

Yes you are right. It is a fundemental principle in Islam that there is no NEED
 for anyone to come between a servant and his/her Lord IN THIS LIFE.

However, the rules for the hereafter are not the same as the ones laid out for us now.
 For example, we are encouraged to "ifsha' assalam" to spread peace by greeting other
 Muslims in this life. In the hereafter it is said for three days when the believers enter
 Jannah all they can say is Salam. It is also one of the names of Allah. So is it worship just
 as it was in this life? There is no more reward and punishment. Allahu A'alam my guess it
 will be given to us more as a gift. Can you imagine how you must feel in order to be at
 that state?

Similarily, we will be given a gift on the Day of Judgement which is the intercession of
 whomever Allah allows. Especially that of Prophet Muhammad peace and blessings be upon
 him as it will be for those who will need help (the people of Major sins). There is no
 conflict here...you aren't allowed to drink alcohol in this life yet, in the hereafter Allah
 provides rivers of wine in paradise. Different drink all together. The more I contemplate
 this I feel it is a gift. Look at the shaheed who gave up his/her life for the sake of
 Allah, will be given if Allah allows it the ability to save the lives of 70 people they
 care about.

Moreover, one of the names of the prophet peace and blessings be upon him is Al-Hashir
 ("AlHâshir since all people gather under me at the day of Judgment"). It is said and Allah
 always knows best, that he will be the first one to be resurrected after the blow of the
 trumpet.  So if he is a MERCY to all of humankind....how can you not expect him to ask
 Allah for mercy for us? And how can The MOST Generous not honor his request?

Allah is Al-Haqq the Truth and he has told prophet Muhammad (93: 5) And verily your Lord
 will give to you so that you will be content. I feel it is more about honoring the best
 of creation and reinstating that he is a mercy giving us more reasons to love him.

That Allah is the Most Merciful...He has told us that He saved 99 portions of His mercy
 for that day (all the mercies, including animals' to each other is all part of the only
 one which He has sent to our world)... Truely He is ArRahman ArRaheem!

What it comes right down to…in the hereafter there are people whom Allah will want to
 shield from His sight and will not talk to them nor purify them. And out of His Mercy will
 give those people a way out. The intercession of Prophet Muhammad peace and blessings be
 upon him.

I can go on and on about how this one little fact of the prophet's intercession, to me
 only indicates the Truthfullness of this deen. How the sharee'a is hard work but it is
 perfect in order for things to work smoothly in this life ; and how what we are told about
 the akhira is enough to invoke not only fear but also hope in order to be motivated to work
 for it.

Some useful questions here include who are those believers who will need the intercession
 of Prophet Muhammad peace and blessings be upon him? And are we among them?

If I am wrong in anything I said here it is fully from my own shortcomings. All khayr is
 from Allah.

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: