// Is a Belated Debt Repayment a Cheat?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: When many astronauts go to space, they see the insignificant size of the earth and vastness of space, and they become very religious, because they have seen the Signs of Allah. --Cat Stevens
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is a Belated Debt Repayment a Cheat?  (Read 763 times)
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« on: Aug 18, 2011 05:31 PM »

I wonder if anybody observed this thing about a prolonged payment of a debt. Whenever I lend money to somebody, and for a reason that person could not pay me on time, I will begin to loss interest on that money and could then easily tell the person to go with it. Can that be a genuine sadaqah since I didnt intend it initially? And is the debtor not cheating by prolonging the payment?

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
moderatesufi
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2011 05:41 PM »

You do know interest is Harram don't you?
sadah
Brother
Bro

sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2011 06:00 PM »

Very well of course. My question is people now a days dont take quick pay off of debt serious, they will borrow someone's money and would not pay back untill he lost interest in the money( I dont mean usury here. Oh I used it there in ambiguity).

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2011 06:36 PM »

ws,

I think that's the definition of interest non? To lend some money to someone and to ask for more back? (regardless of the time) You know what's interesting about Islamic economics is you realize there's a major concept there that ALLAH is the one that owns time no one else, no one else can control and own it and make money off it. So interest over time is Haram, futures are haram, trading short is haram....
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2011 06:42 PM »

lol..lemme sort out a few things for you

Br Sadah means - he lends people money and whoever that dude/dudette is, takes a long long time to repay him and by then sadah is no longer interested in taking back the money. Instead he wants to forgive the debtor. Get it now?

Sadah, forgiving debt is of course an act of sadaqah..you don't have to worry about the intention in the beginning Smiley

sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2011 06:47 PM »

OMG! You guys do not understand my post. Do I need to edit it? What I mean by loosing interest is when the lender becomes not counting on the money again and therefore forced to leave it as sadaqah to the debtor. My question is, what do you think about a person who delays payment of debt?

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2011 07:10 PM »

lol sorryyyyyyy we are all fasting you know!!

yeah that person is wrong to break their promise!! if you forgive them the debt yes indeed it is a charity and a good deed...

“If the debtor is in difficulty, grant him time till it is easy for him to repay. But if ye remit it by
way of charity, that is best for you if ye only knew” (2:280)

Similarly, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, “If anyone would like Allah to save
him from the hardships of the Day of Resurrection, he should give more time to his debtor who is
short of money, or remit his debt altogether.” (reported by Muslim)

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) reported that once there was a merchant who would lend money to people. If he saw anyone in difficult circumstances he would say to his children, “Pardon him his debt, perhaps Allah will pardon us.” Then Allah did pardon him.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2011 08:41 PM »

lol..lemme sort out a few things for you

Thanks brother for helping me out.

lol sorryyyyyyy we are all fasting you know!!

lol..... Plus my naive non native English...lol

Similarly, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, “If anyone would like Allah to save
him from the hardships of the Day of Resurrection, he should give more time to his debtor who is
short of money, or remit his debt altogether.” (reported by Muslim)

Good reminder.

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2011 12:31 AM »

You're welcome bro..anytime Smiley
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2011 02:10 AM »

/dudette is,

Correct but just sounds so odd!

Sr jannah covered the points well with the Ayah and Hadith.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: