// Juz my concern about "divisive and inflammatory" posts and styles of posting
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The essence of knowledge is to know what obedience and worship are - abu Hamid al-Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Juz my concern about "divisive and inflammatory" posts and styles of posting  (Read 1426 times)
UmmWafi
Sis

Reputation Power: 12
UmmWafi has no influence :(

« on: Aug 23, 2011 04:00 AM »

Assalamu'alaikum wr wb

I am concerned about divisive and inflammatory tones and words creeping into our posts. Insha'Allah this is also a reminder for me as much as me sharing with my brothers and sisters.

Unity is one of the greatest objectives of Islam. There are many verses in the Qur'an that urge Muslims to unite. In Surah al-'Imran, Ayah 103, Allah says:

And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allah (which is Islam) and be not divided among yourselves.

This is a very well-known verse to Muslims. In Surah al-Taubah, Ayah 71, Allah says:

The believing men and women are 'awliya' (loyal) to one another.

There are many other verses in the Qur'an that urge joining unity, as well as verses that forbid disunity. We can see this in the same Surah al-'Imran, Ayah 103, in which Allah says:

….and be not divided among yourselves.

So in the same verse the Muslims are asked to be united and prevented from disunity. The Qur'an contains many such verses, for example: Surah al-'Imran Ayah 105-107; Surah al-Hujurat Ayah 10; Surah al-An'am Ayah 153 and 159; and in Surah al-Rum Ayah 31-32. All of these verses and many others in the Qur'an forbid the division or split of the Muslim community.

Moreover, we have many hadiths that command the Muslims to be united. One hadith is recorded by Imam Muslim: "Verily Allah likes three things for you and disapproves three things for you: He is pleased with you but you worship Him and disassociate anything with him; that you hold fast to the Rope of Allah and not to be scattered (disunited); and He disapproves for you irrelevant talk, persistent questioning, and wasting of wealth."

We find that Islam commands the Muslims to practice things that will bring unity - there are conditions and actions where the Muslims need to perform to accomplish this. At the same time, we also find that there are many actions that Islam forbids because these actions may lead to the disunity of the Muslim ummah. This Hadith 35 falls in the latter category.

Wassalam
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2011 04:50 AM »

wsalam,

jazakiAllah khair for the reminder for all of us. if you see any posts like that please let me know inshaallah. you can also use the "report to moderator" link at the bottom right of the post as well.
maya
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
maya has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2011 12:31 AM »

Is reporting to administrator the same as 'repping?' ...im confused, some seemed proud of their # time repped...is this a good or a bad thing.

I appreciate the OP.

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands,
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2011 05:20 AM »

Is reporting to administrator the same as 'repping?' ...im confused, some seemed proud of their # time repped...is this a good or a bad thing.

I appreciate the OP.

Explanation about reps is here: http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=63.0
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2011 02:28 AM »

Assalamu alaikum
I dont know the kind of division you guys are refering to. Islam does not probit us from discussing issues in order to find the truth. What it commands is, we should always make Qur'an and Sunnah as our final resort. If we expect everybody to go with what one particular person says, then I will say we are leaving the path of the pious predicessors. For me, if people are allowed to post on religious issues then they should also be allowed to be corrected( we are all humans) if need arises. You may mandate that any opposing opinion be mail to the author's inbox instead of replying directly.

Ws.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2011 06:45 AM »

wsalam,

I'd urge ppl to read our constitution which defines the purpose and practice of this forum. Basically our goal is to be a supportive website in helping each other in our deen and everyday lives. What we are NOT is an Islam Q & A site or an Islam debate site. There's tons of issues that are very divisive in Islam and are very controversial. There have been many times where this has led to extreme disunity and even ppl leaving Islam, and believe me it doesn't just happen in the Ummah it has happened here too in the past. Never again inshaAllah. So, it is our responsibility to give people support and resources, but we are not aalims or imams, we don't have the knowledge or even their wisdom to completely guide people in fiqh answers. These types of controversies and questions are best taken to people of knowledge in their own communities where they can be guided one on one to their situation and get the help they need. Hope this helps explain a little why certain things are allowed and other's not. If anyone has any questions about this please ask.

ws
sadah
Brother
Bro

sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2011 07:29 AM »

Salam
I understand all that. I read the constitions before becoming active. I just want you to redefine the term. When in trying to help the Ummah I say sth that contradicts an authentic hadith, should I be alowed to go with it? If you do that you have not helped me. For example, I posted a topic here on da'awah last week. I narrated our meeting with some malams, and from how they appeared to me I was impressed by their way of Jihad wch I would have followed them if I am not in school. Bro Akhan knew sth abt them and when he called my attention on who they might be, it helped me. I'm not in support of debates here, but I want you to knw that, not all arguments are imflammatory. My last statement above says that. Sb may know an authentic hadith that could benefit others even though he's not sheik. If we are still banning any opposition reply then I suggest direct msg. If u still think I'm in support of dispute then you misunderstand me.

Ws.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2011 08:29 AM »

wsalam,

yes bro i agree with you. genuine and sincere questions are usually not inflammatory and usually ppl can give good answers from quran and hadith. it just depends what it is and depends on what ppl are talking about and depends on what the moderator thinks about it!

sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2011 08:53 AM »

Thanks, I appreciate that. May Allah reward you for all you are doing..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: