Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 20, 2014 01:52 AM

News:

Alas, poor imam.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yooooouuuuur top 10 islamic books?  (Read 11129 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Mar 11, 2008 04:16 AM »

salam,

So recently a few friends asked me what I thought were good Islamic books for them to get. Just something to read that they would find good to get into. So I brought out my old tried and true Top 10 Islamic Books but realize it's sooo old!! I need to update cuz so many new things have come out... So what's your top 10??

The old list:

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2008 10:40 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Hmm how about a complete idiot's guide to understanding Islam by yahiya emerick?  that's a nice overview/intro to Islam type book.

And whitethread press has some nice duaa books out, there's one called 'prayers for forgiveness' that's pretty nice.

Imam Al-Ghazali's 'Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife' is really good too.

hmm can't seem to think of anything that would be a serious top then though!  shaykh

salaam
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2008 10:36 PM »

Assalamualaikum,

I really like the other Yahya Emerick book "What Islam Is All About".

Also, one of my (and many other people's) favourite books is "Don't be Sad" by Sheikh Aa'idh Al-Qarni.

Oh, and there's "Towards Understanding Islam" by Abul-A'la Maudoodi (I think! please correct me if I'm wrong)

There are more but I can't remember them right now

Wassalam
Hafsa
Sis

Hafsa has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2008 09:36 AM »

Assalamu Alaykum

'From my sister's lips' by Na'ima B Robert is a fantastic book.

Wassalam
se7en
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2008 04:41 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

good suggestions y'all... sh. A'idh's books are hugely popular in the Middle East, especially "Don't Be Sad".  They just had a huge book fair here in Cairo where Sh. A'idh was an invited speaker... a sister and I tried to attend, we got there half an hour before the program was about to start to find like 300 people waiting outside, trying to squish inside... and it was raining! talk about dedication (I guess his book must have really touched/moved ppl).  We managed to get close to the glass and see inside, he looked like a very normal dignified saudi shaykh.  arabbeardbro  When he mentioned his book 'Don't be Sad' all these people took out their copies of the book and started waving them around!! I don't think the whole celebrity-crazyness thing is good but its nice to see that Muslims are reading and benefiting Smiley

His latest book is called Muhammad As If You See Him, each chapter takes a different beautiful quality of the Prophet  saw and goes into detail about it, mentioning stories related to it etc... it looks pretty good...  I saw a translation of it so maybe one of you can read it and do a review of it...  Huh?

salaam,

bebzi
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2008 08:00 PM »

When he mentioned his book 'Don't be Sad' all these people took out their copies of the book and started waving them around!!

Cheesy

We managed to get close to the glass and see inside, he looked like a very normal dignified saudi shaykh.

We used to watch his lectures on Iqraa channel with english subtitles. He comes across really humble and has a really simple way of putting across his points whilst being humorous as well. I was really surprised the first time I watched one of his lectures with subtitles because I always thought those Saudi sheikhs were really serious and matter-of-fact.
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2008 03:23 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,
Love these books because…

1) Ash-Shifaa’ (Qadi ‘Iyad ibn Musa al-Yahsubi) – each characteristic of the Prophet that’s mentioned makes you think you’re there with him.
2) Fortress of the Muslim/Fortification of the Muslim – great reference for various dua’as.
3) The Traditional Healer’s Handbook: A Classical Guide to the Medicine of Avicenna (Hakim G.M. Chisti) –  eastern Unani medicine, western medicine, natural cures, translations of some of Ibn Sina’s work, and even some Afghani recipes while he was at it. Great stuff.
4) The Beauty of the Righteous and the Ranks of the Elite (Imam Abu Na’im al-Asfahaani) – beautifully translated descriptions of some of the sahabahs and their qualities.
5) The Dignity of Man: An Islamic Perspective and Freedom, Equality and Justice in Islam (both by M. Hashim Kamali) – I love this author and how clearly he explains the most beautiful and just qualities of Islam. I’d recommend it to non-Muslims, too.
6) Tafsir of the Qu’ran: Volumes 1-10 (Ibn Kathir) – great reference for when I want a better understanding of the Qur’an.
7) The Prophet’s Prayer Described and The Night Prayers/Qiyaam & Taraweeh (both by Sh. Al-Albaani) – I learned a lot (although I've used many different books on salaah, I go back to these).
8 ) Ihyaa ‘Ulum ud-Deen/Revival of the Islamic Sciences (Imam Ghazaali) – Genius for his time (and ours, and what an amazing period of time he lived in). For those who criticize this work, there is only one faultless book (Qur'aan), and there are plenty of scholars who have added commentary to this work.
9) Riyaadh-us-Saaliheen/Gardens of the Righteous (Imam An-Nawawi) – Love this scholar, and I use this collection of hadith aaallll the time at school.
10) Priorities of the Islamic Movement (Sh. Y. Qaradawi) – A great wake up call from one of our modern scholars.

Shocked It was really hard to condense this to 10.  Shocked
 oldshaykh purplehijabisis madinaflag Kiss fez

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
se7en
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2008 11:27 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

'The Beauty of the Righteous' is one of my all time favorite books! heart The descriptions are so moving... 

ps - one thing I wanted to note is that some of the texts in it are not strong.  Ibn al-Jawziy wrote a similar work called 'Siffat as-Safwa' as sort of response to Hilyat al-Awliyaa [Beauty of the Righteous], because he felt there were some weaknesses in it and wanted to provide an alternative to it.  This however, does not take away from the benefit that can be derived from the beautiful descriptions within it, and the inspiration that it can engender in a person... it's just something good to know especially in relation to the ahadeeth it quotes.

Here is a nice excerpt from the book:

Wahb Ibn Munbih reported that the disciples asked Jesus son of Mary, upon both of whom be peace: “It is said that God’s deputies are not subject to fear nor shall they Grieve; tell us something about them, who are they?”

Jesus replied: “They are those who look deep into the earth when others look at the surface. They observe what is hidden when others are attracted to the passing pleasures, and they focus on the consequences of this world, when others seek its immediate profits. They let die in them what may shame them, and they renounce what will ultimately leave them. They are satisfied with little and the bare necessities from this world, and they do not even waste their time in discussing what is ephemeral. What they receive from this world becomes a burden and a cause of their sorrow, and they are adamant in refusing to look at other attractions therein. What comes to them as lawful they renounce, and the success that may cross their path they turn down. When their dwellings fall apart, they do not rebuild them, and when their desire for this world dies in their hearts, they do not renew it. They use their determination and will to sustain their true comfort in the abode of the hereafter instead. They have sold the pleasure and comfort of this world for the price of their comfort in the hereafter. They sold what is ephemeral, and for such a meagre price, they bought what is eternal, and subsequently, they became the truly happy ones. They look at the people who love this world and see them as dead and toiling in between one calamity after another. They recall death and renounce the idea of occupying themselves with this life. They truly love Almighty Allah. They love to speak of him, and to constantly invoke his remembrance. They walk by his light and they invite and allow others to walk by it as well. In fact they are a true wonder, and they know the true wonder. Allah’s glorious Book is proclaimed through them, they establish it, and live by it. The magnificent revealed book speaks through them, and with it they speak. Through them the glorious Book becomes known and will live by it. They consider their trials as a vehicle for advancement despite the extreme sufferings they may endure. They find no peace except in what they seek, and they fear nothing except what should concern them most.”
Such are the true believers, and such are God’s deputies (awliyah). They are protected from looking at this abject world with arrogance, and they observe the work of their Beloved with contemplation and heedfulness.

Excerpt from The Beauty of the Righteous & Ranks of the Elite
Hilyat-ul Awliya Wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya
By Imam Abu Na'im al-Asfahani (948-1038 C.E.)
Trans. by Shaykh Muhammad Al-Akili
© 1996-2005 Pearl Publishing House

sofia
Sis

sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2008 09:44 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum, se7en!
Hope you're doing well, insha'Allah.
Thanks for the heads up and excerpt. Actually, I'm pretty sure most books on the sahabah have some weaknesses in them...I almost added the book, The Spectacle of Death (you know, the Indian print one). Love it, although I can't say how much is actually authentic. All I know is that it changes the way I think (until I forget about it and need another reminder of the hereafter again).
-sofia  :'(

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
jamilahz
Sis

jamilahz has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008 12:20 AM »

Kitaab At-Tawheed

Muhammad Abdul-Wahhaab

http://www.islamicweb.com/beliefs/creed/abdulwahab/

The Prophet said, "The people of my generation are the best, then those who follow them"
Barr
Sis

Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008 03:39 AM »

Assalamu'alaikum,

MashaAllah, se7en, that excerpt is beautiful. May Allah make us amongst them. Ameen.

I must add one of the best biographies of Rasulullah (saw) that I've ever read.

Its Footsteps of the Prophet by Tariq Ramadan.

An easy read (if you've read the rest of his books, this is the EASIEST read, mashaAllah).

He isn't into details details, but he selects significant events and he relates them to our 21st century life. And that, mashaAllah, I find amazing - a fodder for greater discussion and understanding.

Allahua'lam
jamilahz
Sis

jamilahz has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008 03:58 AM »

I read in the footsteps of the prophet too, and it was good.  The very first book I read was No god but God .... and it was what opened my eyes to islam... that is a good one too but at the end you can tell it was written by a shia muslim.. they lean towards Ali a bit.

The Prophet said, "The people of my generation are the best, then those who follow them"
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008 08:08 AM »

Assalamualaikum

I read Spectacle of Death on the plane home several years back. Not the best place for an 11-year old to read a book on death but I was morbidly curious and it was a good read.

Wassalam
Rauf
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2008 05:19 PM »

Whether there is any downloading link of above books?
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2008 10:08 PM »

"ISLAM - the NATURAL Way"   Kiss

by Abdul Wahid Hamid

and "The Ideal Muslimah" which can be found online here: http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/The%20Ideal%20Muslimah.pdf

Wassalam
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2008 11:57 PM »

'From my sister's lips' by Na'ima B Robert is a fantastic book.

Asak
Just finished this book. It is an excellent read about a convert and her relatively easy assimilation into the Muslim life style.

I think the book would be a torture to read for those converts that struggled every step of the way- personally and in the Muslim society of sisters.
The story is kind of like a 1950's TV show where the mom wears pearls, a dress and is always smiling.

What this book is good for, is for the newly interested in Islam gals. Excellent book in fact.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: