Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

The dhulan doth protest too much.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Model UN  (Read 1031 times)
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« on: Aug 23, 2011 11:37 AM »

Has anyone been part of an MUN conference? I am going to one in a week and I have no clue whatsoever Tongue it's gonna be my first time.

Any advice?
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2011 05:26 PM »

Yes, I went to one this year! (But it wasn't really an international one, just between schools)

First of all, it can be reeeeeaaaaally boring, so bring loads of notes to keep occupied.

REALLY study your country and its allies so that you aren't totally alone when you go.

Even if you don't really have a stand on something for your country, make it up! Be really passionate and impress the other people.

Make sure you have comebacks ready before you stand up to speak, and try to speak as much as possible when you can. Remember you have to sort of speak in third person..."the delegate of india wishes to state"...

Maybe this is obvious but have your resolution written out and ready! Also you'll probably have to edit it a lot to come down to other allies' wants so maybe bring a laptop or flash?

Learn the other people's names so that you're not all "Hey Brazil!!!" to other people all the time.

Be professional as possible, if you have a speech to make then practice it and be really passionate about what you're saying!

And - really you have no clue??? You should probably look up their official site and see what the dress code is and the country + position papers that you have to write....fast! They have a really good worksheet that you can do to back you up with your basic info.

Make sure that you have time for salah in a non-distracting place.

And of course have a good time! The Model UN is a great thing to make you understand how the UN works, and it really made me realize why nothing seems to get done. VERY bureaucratic!

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2011 06:18 PM »

'Anonymous' has captured the essence of MUN pretty well. That is truly what it is about. My sons attended in High School - the eldest, 3 years in a row and the youngest, 2 years in a row. And yes, the UN is extremely bureaucratic.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2011 07:38 PM »

I am not like completely clueless, I know the dress code and the country Tongue

I don't know if the OC has something against first timers but they gave me Yemen of all places and the agendas are about Libya,Afghanistan and Syria. Now, what kind of stand could Yemen possibly have on those agendas?? It's in total chaos itself!

Yes, I went to one this year! (But it wasn't really an international one, just between schools)
Well, the one I am going to is sort of international. I know there is somebody coming from Lebanon and somebody else from Indonesia.

First of all, it can be reeeeeaaaaally boring, so bring loads of notes to keep occupied.
I am having second thoughts now Tongue On a more serious note, you mean notes about my country? Or just some stuff to keep myself entertained? Grin

Maybe this is obvious but have your resolution written out and ready! Also you'll probably have to edit it a lot to come down to other allies' wants so maybe bring a laptop or flash?
Be professional as possible, if you have a speech to make then practice it and be really passionate about what you're saying!
Dude, apart from the country,dress code,position papers I know nothing. Literally nothing! What kind of resolution would I have to write? And speeches? I never made a speech my entire life!

lol...I guess this whole thing is gonna be really exciting Grin

PS - Just to be on the safe side...are there people who are like Huh? , Shocked, Roll Eyes and Undecided in it? I have a huge gut feeling that I am gonna be one of those.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2011 07:42 PM »

Somebody on the MUN's forum was talking about sponsoring a resolution, voting on it, amendments .. blah blah blah Grin

Can you tell me what those things mean?

I am sorry if I am pestering you, but I really have no clue about a lot of things.
Good chance for you to get some extra reward by helping out a fellow muslim bro in Ramadan Wink
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2011 05:08 PM »

Yes I was very clueless at first! However I caught on really quickly and surprised the other delegates who had been working on theirs for months!

I know, it’s terrible getting a country that has no clear stand on anything, but basically you have to start guessing and figuring out what their stands would be on the issues being argued.

Okay bro here's some more info: (by the way I'm a girl)

http://www.unausa.org/munpreparation

This basically covers everything. READ EVERYTHING!

http://www.unausa.org/munglossary

This is a glossary of all the different terms that you should know/be familiar with.

A resolution is basically what you (as your country) come up with as a solution. You have demands that you make in it about what you want to happen with the issue being discussed. Here's a sample: http://www.unausa.org/munpreparation/resolutions/sample

And here’s some help on writing them: http://www.unausa.org/munpreparation/resolutions

Check out the other links on that page if you want to know more. When you sponsor a resolution, that means that you as a country decide that you like what’s in it and are going to support it as your stand on the issue. You can argue for amendments to be made that are in your country's favor on the issue.

A position paper is "an essay detailing your country’s policies on the topics being discussed in your committee." Do you know what committee you’re going to be in? (general assembly, security council, etc?)

I can’t see what this is as I no longer have adobe reader but I remember it being a supremely useful worksheet. http://www.unausa.org/Document.Doc?id=15

And please go, its so useful and really teaches you a lot, even if you don’t participate too much.

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2011 05:34 PM »

Okay bro here's some more info: (by the way I'm a girl)

That made me smile!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
akhan
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2011 06:20 PM »

However I caught on really quickly and surprised the other delegates who had been working on theirs for months!
I am hoping to do the same because I am really passionate about international affairs and economics, but again, clueless about the logistics of an MUN Smiley

(by the way I'm a girl)
Oops..sorry about that Embarrassed

JazakAllah for that website Smiley It seems to have everything I could need
akhan
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2011 05:15 PM »

JazakAllah Khair for all the advice anonymous Smiley
It went great and the experience was totally AWESOME!!!
The first day, I spoke very little coz I was still trying to get the hang of speaking and listening to somebody speaking in third person. That seriously needs to be changed.

The best part was that they had a crisis in the middle of the night we were taken to the conference hall in our night clothes Smiley They drew the analogy from the UNGA when Iraq invaded Kuwait. Apparently the UNGA was convened at 3AM(we were woken up at 12ish and the session went on till 5AM).

However, it was really really wonderful and now I am seriously thinking of taking up MUNing as a hobby Smiley
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2011 07:06 AM »

wsalam,

akhan did you come to new york and not tell us!!  oldshaykh

i think i once applied to something at the UN but they had so many requirements and restrictions!! but if ur still in school, they have a lot of interesting internships and things!
akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2011 07:19 AM »

akhan did you come to new york and not tell us!!  oldshaykh
I wish Embarrassed but that is Hyderabad Smiley I told you our city is on par with global standards Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: