// FGM
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Put aside your pride, Set down your arrogance, And remember your grave. - Ali ibn Abu Talib (radiAllahu anhu)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FGM  (Read 573 times)
maya
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
maya has no influence :(

FGM
« on: Aug 23, 2011 11:42 PM »

Do you think that those who have forced their daughters into getting full circumcisions will be punished?
FGM In the Light of Islam-Questions & Answers-Bilal Philips
Is a video from Bilal Philips.
 He said that actually, Islam allows for female circumcision just not the full thing.

I apologize for the sensitive nature of this and also if this is a painful or involving subject matter for you. However, for as much as this happens to muslim women abroad, this should be talked about like we talk about hijab. If it's halal, then let's explain why so that unbelievers don't view us as barbaric. If it's haram than let's help educate and put it to an end.

I watched Desert Flower, Waris Diri's story and read the book, I was unaware (though my mom a midwife was painfully aware  Lips Sealed far too much experience) that women, when dished the full extent of FGM had to be cut open  :'( by the husbands after marriage. Why is this happening? What is the proof that it is alright?

...And yet we frown on tattoos and we are completely butchering God's perfect creation.

If we are created in God's image, why do we need to modify this creation?
Allahu A’lam.
Not wishing to offend, I tried to research this issue for myself, on here and clearly have not found much hadith help..

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands,
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2011 05:22 AM »

wsalam,

here is an excellent explanation of FGM, it's types and what Islam says about it: http://jannah.org/genderequity/equityappendix.html
maya
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
maya has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2011 04:53 PM »

Nice thank you Jannah!  Wink I have a much clearer understanding of it now. I wonder why FGM would be better for the face of the young girl:

"Cut off only the foreskin (outer fold of skin over the clitoris; the prepuce) but do not cut off deeply (i.e. the clitoris itself), for this is brighter for the face (of the girl) and more favorable with the husband."

What follows as an explanation of this hadith to me does not explain it : While the Prophet (P) did not explicitly ban this practice, his words project a great deal of sensitivity to the instinctive needs of females and their matrimonal happiness and legitimate enjoyment. Reference to the brightness of the face and to better relationship with the husband are clear indications of his senstivity and compassion.

Questions, I still need help interpreting this one  Undecided :
1) How is our matrimonial happiness increased with female circumcision? Are we just saying that the female anatomy is unattractive?
2) What is meant by the instinctive needs of females? What is an instinctive need? Sex? I'm again lost in some of these passages.

sis
Thanks in advance! I know its a sensitive subject, I just have to know how to apply an explanation when it comes up.

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: