// Is Drawing Haram?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: What is this precious love and laughter Budding in our hearts? It is the glorious sound Of a soul waking up! -Hafiz
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Drawing Haram?  (Read 1559 times)
SlaveOfAllah
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
SlaveOfAllah has no influence :(

« on: Aug 25, 2011 01:42 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum. I am a 15 year old and an outstanding drawer. I have a problem though, is it haram? My drawing could help me alot in my future but some say its not haram and others say it is. I need answers and proof. Asalaamu Alaikum.

Asalaamu Alaikum
                             -SerigneBabs99
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2011 02:40 AM »

I wonder if the Admin here will tolerate the kind of discussions that would follow this your question.  I believe you have heard some hadeeths that prohibit it and possibly the reverse. What I wl advise you is to do 'istikharah,' God willing if it'snt good for you the passion you have will fade away. Prophet(pbuh) used to teach the sahabah that du'a as he does teach them the qur'an. May Allah show you the right thing.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
maya
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
maya has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2011 03:13 AM »

Perhaps the drawing of peoples faces and forms could be haram. But, I think you could always focus on nature, there are plenty of artists capture beautifully flowers, landscapes, city scenes. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an imam that said that you were not allowed to appreciate the beauty in God's creation. I have heard that photographs of peoples faces were haraam but to be honest I still have pictures of our family in our house, Allah please spare us judgement (not on walls in the room where I pray). Not that I am encouraging to any extent this but..bottom line I think drawing non human forms should be acceptable. definitely pray istikharah about it tho

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands,
SlaveOfAllah
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2011 04:27 AM »

thanks...by the way what is istikharah?

Asalaamu Alaikum
                             -SerigneBabs99
maya
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2011 07:31 PM »

thanks...by the way what is istikharah?

http://makkah.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/how-to-pray-salat-ul-istikhara.pdf

Say: after praying 2 rakahs..
‘Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi’ilmika, Wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, Wa asaluka min
fadlika al-’azim Fa-innaka taqdiru Wala aqdiru, Wa ta’lamu Wala a’lamu, Wa anta
‘allamu l-ghuyub. Allahumma, in kunta ta’lam anna hadha-l-amra Khairun li fi dini wa
ma’ashi wa’aqibati amri (or ‘ajili amri wa’ajilihi) Faqdirhu li wa yas-sirhu li thumma
barik li Fihi, Wa in kunta ta’lamu anna hadha-lamra shar-run li fi dini wa ma’ashi
wa’aqibati amri (or fi’ajili amri wa ajilihi) Fasrifhu anni was-rifni anhu. Waqdir li alkhaira haithu kana Thumma ardini bihi

it means

“O Allah, I consult You as You are All-Knowing and I appeal to You to give me power as You
are Omnipotent, I ask You for Your great favor, for You have power and I do not, and You
know all of the hidden matters . O Allah ! If you know that this matter (then he should
mention it) is good for me in my religion, my livelihood, and for my life in the Hereafter, (or
he said: ‘for my present and future life,’) then make it (easy) for me. And if you know that this
matter is not good for me in my religion, my livelihood and my life in the Hereafter, (or he
said: ‘for my present and future life,’) then keep it away from me and take me away from it
and choose what is good for me wherever it is and please me with it.”

Istikhara (Arabic) means to ask Allah to guide one to the right thing concerning any affair in one’s life,
especially when one has to choose between two permissible alternatives, e.g. a career choice, getting married,
etc.  Similarly, a traveller should consult good righteous persons before setting out on a journey, because Allah
says, “And consult them (O Prophet) in affairs (of moment),” (Qur’an, 3: 159) and one of the characteristics of
the believers is that “they (conduct) their affairs by mutual consultation” (Qur’an, 42: 38). Qatadah said, “Every
people who seek the pleasure of Allah and consult with one another are guided to the best course in their
affairs.” The traveller should also make istikharah and seek guidance from Allah.

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands,
SlaveOfAllah
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2011 03:29 AM »

jazakallah khair everybody for replying...especially maya

Asalaamu Alaikum
                             -SerigneBabs99
maya
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2011 07:37 AM »

jazakallah khair everybody for replying...especially maya

Awh Smiley No problem. I still encourage you to research this issue. Here is a link I found on it: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45461

Sahih Al-Bukhari: Volume 3, Book 34, Number 318:

Narrated Aisha:
(mother of the faithful believers) I bought a cushion with pictures on it. When Allah's Apostle saw it, he kept standing at the door and did not enter the house. I noticed the sign of disgust on his face, so I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah and H is Apostle . (Please let me know) what sin I have done." Allah's Apostle said, "What about this cushion?" I replied, "I bought it for you to sit and recline on." Allah's Apostle said, "The painters (i.e. owners) of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection. It will be said to them, 'Put life in what you have created (i.e. painted).' " The Prophet added, "The angels do not enter a house where there are pictures."

Now, sometimes these things are difficult to interpret. It is difficult to know what image was on the cushion? If it was a design without a face? Then are we to wear clothes that are not embroidered for in embroidery there is design. Are we not to keep rugs in our houses for those have designs?

If art and drawing moves you, then continue it, however continue it in the most halal way possible. It may be that you will create a special niche of that which is safe for you to focus on, Allah has given you this talent. Perform it in a way that glorifies him. In mosques alone there is so much artistic beauty to admire...is this not art?

Bottom line : Again, no faces, no forms. Not even animals, for some are worshipped in other religions, like Hinduism

Allahu alam

SlaveOfAllah
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2011 08:17 AM »

thanks again maya...may allah bless you

Asalaamu Alaikum
                             -SerigneBabs99
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2011 10:10 AM »

Salam
Sis Maya has sum it all up. And it's important to know that istikharah is performed to choose btw ligitimate errants as she cited. If u are satisfied that drawings of living creatures is haram, then u dont need to perform it on that,  just try and run away frm such.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: