Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 16, 2014 05:17 PM

News:

What's in a name? That which we call a zahra. By any other name would smell as shariah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye  (Read 2659 times)
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« on: Mar 11, 2008 09:37 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I finished reading this book a while ago... I'd give it 3 stars (out of 5) among fiction written by non-Muslims.  It's an adventure novel that brings you straight into British India and really makes you feel like you are part of it, the intrigues of the Indian princes's courts, the British soldiers compounds and their love/hate relationship with the 'natives', the imagery of India, mountains, rivers, the desert, the heat etc... and the story line is interesting...  The constant struggle of the main character, Ash, to find his real identity, British by blood but Indian in his soul, makes it a deeper novel than just a love story.  At the same time, the love story is great, and if you just skip over about two pages, the whole thing remains cool and G-rated Smiley

My major complaint which knocks two stars out of the five is the complete hack job the author does on the religions of India.  With the exploration of Ash's identity comes his exploration of religion, namely Hinduism and Islam and his eventual rejection of both for their seeming defects/prejudices.  Basically, Hinduism is an easy target with its strict discriminatory caste system and its misogynistic traditions like the setti, where a widow throws herself on the funeral pyre of her husband; but the charges against Islam, and Ash's turning away from it were a little bit strange to me and something of a stretch.  (Interestingly enough, Christianity seems to be spared any such analysis, and the only time it's discussed is in a short few pages where the idea of the trinity is explained using a descriptive example and in a positive light).  A troubling scene for me was towards the end of the novel when Ash stands behind a Muslim friend, Zarin, during fajr prayer in order to imitate his movements (something he's done many times in the past, as someone who has engaged in and experimented with the practices of many different religions).  His friend turns to him in an annoyed way and tells him not to do that.  Ash feels hurt by this, and in a few short paragraphs dismisses Islam completely, saying "the look on Zarin's face explained many things: the Mogul conquest of India and the Arab conquest of Spain, and all the many Holy Wars - the Jehads waged in the name of Allah - that have drenches the long centuries with blood... it had thrown a white light on... the fact that religion had not brought love and brotherhood and peace to mankind, but, as was promised, a sword."  I understand that the author wishes to show that Ash was turned off by all religions, but there was no incident or occurence that happened in the novel that should have turned him off of Islam.  All of the Muslim friends he had were quite good to him and did him no harm.  So it was odd to find Ash turning so resolutely away from Islam, with what was obviously an injection from the author's own feelings instead of from the character's own experiences!

In the end, in something similar to the film 'Kingdom of Heaven', Ash choses to make up his own religion.  Roll Eyes  From a practical perspective it's quite amusing for a person to think that they are somehow free from the prejudices, inclinations, and skewed perspective that they find so apparent in the rest of the world.

Another negative was that the last like 150 pages of the novel were completely unnecessary for the story line, a very very VERY detailed description of a battle fought by the 'guides' (British soldiers) and really showed the author's love and bias towards the British military.  I think it really took away from the novel and should have been edited out.

In any case, what I really loved is that I felt like I got to discover a lot of India through the book.  A lot of things take place in a palace called the 'Hawa Mahal' which I thought was fictional until I heard people talking about it on a recent trip to Pakistan!  It gives me a desire to travel to India and see some of the beautiful, historical and interesting places mentioned in the novel.

salaam and happy reading Smiley

bebzi
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2008 05:18 AM »

wsalam,

wow you just finished it now!! cool. I think it took me like 6 months to a year to read that book too. I wrote a review too I'll look for it. Here's an old blurb I wrote

"Far Pavillions I think i wrote about before too. I found the first half amazing... what an adventure I was just blown away by the story. It's really scary and dark at parts too. But towards the end when you're like on page 600 just dying for the end...the hero gets into his anti-islam/pantheistic/atheistic thing I was just like   Angry

So... still a very interesting great book to read but disappointing to get so far and not have  satisfying closure!!"

The interesting thing is that MM Kaye was born and grew up in India as a daughter of British white colonialist settlers, so what is she talking about the "muslim jihadists". uh huh.

Oooh I found it! 2005:

Calling all bookworms...new book recommendations??

i read Far Pavillions.. which at first was so good I couldn't put it down...and this is an 800 page book so is no mean feat!! luckily there were a couple 5 hour flights in there so the book was put to good use

but eventually i just don't like where the author took the hero... kinda renouncing everything around him and becoming an atheist or just believer of something not knowing what it was...and she kinda goes on these long winded diatribes against religions: hindu, muslim, chirstian (altho not so bad on her own i guess). i mean the whole book is pretty shocking if u thought muslims at the time of the raj were good muslims... realistically there were alot more things going on politically, killing each other for the crown etc and that was brought out which was kinda amusing if u don't think about it too much... but after the climax of the book where the hero and heroine get together u can just rip out the last 200 pages. it just gets boring and into alot of politics with one of the lesser characters or maybe i'm an incurable romantic and after they get together whats the point Smiley

then the other book i'm reading is Regards from the dead... this book is kind of painful to read in that it really brings home how the ottoman empire was destroyed by the superpowers of that time and divided up as spoils.  and seriously the evil way they went about it by playing muslims off against each other just makes me want to grind my teeth even now. the sad thing is we keep making the same mistakes.. never uniting to fight the outsiders so they just take us down one by one...and never taking advantage of our strengths like our lack of race, our women, etc etc

anyway its definitely fiction even if its based loosely on someone's life..yeah it does have some wack things (she has this unbelievable hatred of hijab like something i would expect for a missionary not a muslim).. and certain scenes...but what ethnic fiction book doesn't have some wackness... wackness is what sells.. if u write a politically correct book i think they call that 'non fiction' Wink

i can't say i would recommend either book.. they are rather... disturbing and at times almost a tiny bit traumatizing.. i'm too hesitant to take up the Kite runner... maybe in a few months after i recover Cheesy

aiite fellow bookworms.. over and out...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: