Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 17, 2014 10:39 PM

News:

Such stuff as dreams are made of...interpreted by Ibn Sireen.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Book : Minaret by Leila Aboolela  (Read 1924 times)
cat
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
cat has no influence :(

« on: Mar 12, 2008 08:39 AM »

slm, thought i'd share some info on this book i just finished reading.  It's a story of a Muslimah, Najwa (from a well-to-do but not practicing family) who lives in Khartoum and finds herself living in exile in London where her circumstances change.  It follows her baby-steps to a spiritual understanding and fulfillment withouth taking away the fact that she still experiences the daily and familiar struggles of daily life.

A synopsis may be read here

Out of 5 Bebzis this book gets  bebzi bebzi bebzi bebzi bebzi
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2008 09:26 PM »

I believe there was something mentioned about the author on the old board, as I recall mentioning this book in passing there.  Although the book was a good read, I had felt disappointed by the end of it, simply because I'd been looking for something which had more of a spiritual element to it, as that's what I'd been searching for at that time.

There is a book 'Sweetness in the belly' by Camilla Gibb which I absolutely love and that definitely gave more of a spiritual feel to the novel.  There is a lot of stuff in there which you know isn't mainstream Islam and heck, I don't know how much of a true representation it really is about how Islam is practised in Ethiopia, but the author herself has actually mentioned at the end of the book that she has exaggerated certain things, so I'm kind of assuming that certain practices may not be practised as  much as she's protrayed in the novel or they may not even exist at all.  I was really drawn in to this novel, so much so that I actually felt incredibly let down by the main character by the end of it.  To experience that as strongly as I did I feel is a real testament to how good the book is.  Smiley

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: