Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

This is the winter of our dawah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would you? Could you?  (Read 939 times)
jamicam
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
jamicam has no influence :(

« on: Sep 02, 2011 02:06 PM »

Assalamu alaykum... I participate on another discussion board and this topic was discussed. I'm very curious what people here would say about it.

Here's the scenario: You're sitting at a computer and you see that someone you know has left their email open. They won't be back for a few hours, you're all alone. You suspect that this person has been gossiping about you and are very curious as to what they have been saying. You do a quick search for your name in their email and read all the emails in which you are mentioned. You don't read any other emails. You finish before the person comes back and the person has no idea what you've just done.

What do you think? Be honest -- would you have done this? I'm very interested in your responses!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2011 05:56 PM »

salam

Nope I wouldn't. There's a saying 'if you go looking for evil you will find it.'

I have been in the position where friends/siblings email passwords have been saved on my PC, I do a quick clean out of saved passwords (which irritates me as I have to re-save mine too) & I tell them not to save their passwords on my machine, do you think they listen, do they heck!

It's just not me.

Some of the most distasteful people I know spend their lives snooping, they are very unhappy people as they never hear anything good.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
moderatesufi
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2011 08:05 PM »

No
And for some reason people I know, know I wouldn't so don't bother logging off before I use a computer they had used.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2011 10:08 PM »

Honestly speaking I have done that couples of time in the past and I learnt lesson from that act. I did check some people's inbox that I was not even suspecting of anything. At one occasion I found out a secret that I regretted knowing. It gave me lesson. From then on I promised not to check somebody's mail or any form of secret and I never do it again.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2011 12:06 AM »

I wouldn't peek for the reasons already given by Fozia, sadah and moderatesufi.  You might not like what you learn, and "What has been seen cannot be unseen." If the person wrote unflattering things about you, you will always remember it and wish that you hadn't looked.

Then, there's always the possibility that the person will return earlier than you thought. If they catch you in their email account, what will you say?  And after they tell all your mutual acquaintances what you did, it would be pretty embarrassing!
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2011 01:38 AM »

wsalam,

i might glance at what's right there in front of me... cuz i have yahoo and gmail as well and read some of the email subjects!! but usually when i realize it's not mine i'll close it. if the person is right next to me i might comment and say oh ur email u got one from ... but i definitely wouldn't start reading inside other ppls emails!!

and i hope they wouldn't be reading mine either Sad it's not like i have anything to hide but just privacy u know...

now the real question is what if it's a spouse!! and what if there was a subject like "hey baby how r ya" then i think all bets are off Wink

updated: sorry i got all d/c earlier with the kids distractions!
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2011 08:52 AM »

salam

Bizarrely I wouldn't if it were a spouse. I never did when I was married. It would have to be very very blatant for me to sit up and notice.

I wouldn't marry a guy I felt was untrustworthy, at the end of the day people are not posessions so if I were married he'd be very clear that the door is wide open & should he feel the need to do so he could leave anytime..... The door would be shut & locked firmly so he would never be able to come back tho.

I cannot live a life where I'm always second guessing another persons actions, where I'm constantly praranoid & checking up on my partner.

So no I still wouldn't do it.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2011 05:11 PM »

See now this really depends.... My little sister is only 9 and has just got her first email account, so I would not feel guilty about checking her account so that I could teach her proper email/internet usage rules... And in some cases I wouldnt feel guilty about checking my teenage brothers accounts either just because I know that the kids of today send each other some really weird stuff that I just want to remind my brothers to stay away from...

that being said... once a person gets to a certain age/maturity, they need to be trusted to do the right thing and should be left to monitor themselves so for anyone above 16 I would definately not read.
moderatesufi
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2011 05:36 PM »

How would you feel in your brother and sister had a look at what you email?

[Edited by Admin: Don't insult women]
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2011 05:58 PM »

salam

Out of four women one has said she would check emails of her own siblings... how does that make 'poking nose into things' a female trait?

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: