Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

This is how the world ends, not with a bang, but a day of judgement.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Say, 'Wallahi'  (Read 1257 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Sep 07, 2011 03:19 AM »

I wonder if other young Muslims in the US use that phrase when they want to confirm what a friend, a sibling, a parent, a relative is saying, is true. Its common among Somali youngsters here (all over the US).

For instance: a sister to another sister; 'You know, this and that happened today.' The other sister's response: 'Say Wallahi!' And the sister promptly responds, 'Wallahi'

Of course, the older folks are sticking to their old way of speech when using 'Wallahi' for the same purpose with the vernacular 'say' coming before 'Wallahi." So, the Somali kids have Americanized it.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2011 02:37 PM »

salam

My girls do this (tho not American obviously), say walahee & my youngest has taken to saying things & going I promise walahee mummy, mostly before I even have a chance to respond!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2011 03:51 AM »

Wow, Sr Fozia. Same thing here. Even defensive statements or promises begin or end with 'Wallahi' or 'Walahee'.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
moderatesufi
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2011 04:26 PM »

Swearing by Allah often is a sign of nifak. I never let my wife or children say it, or ask me to say it. I remember once when my daughter did say it, I punished her so harshly she never said it ever again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: