// Last names ?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Only the sincere one (mukhlis) knows hypocrisy (riya')." - Imam Shafi'i
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last names ?  (Read 1548 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Mar 15, 2008 06:22 AM »

Asalaam Alaikum

I remember on the old board there was something about changing names .... and how women
 were suppose to keep their last names (usually those being the same as their fathers).

When I was born I was given my mom's last name instead of my dads, and when my dad tried
 to change it there was supposedly some sort of conflict.

I want to change it to my dad's last name now but its kind of costly... so I was
 wondering if it was okay to just stick with my mom's last name ... unless my dad decides to pay
 Tongue

Thanks Smiley

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2008 10:06 AM »

salam

maybe you should ask a scholar about this? 

post a question at islamonline.net.  they usually have weekly ask-a-scholar event.
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2008 09:44 PM »

Asalamualaikum wa rahmatallahi wa barakatuhu,

All praise be to Allah.

Honorable Sister in Islam,

Protection of lineage is one of the intents and aims of the Shariah.  Thus, it is forbidden for someone to claim lineage to someone who is not his or her real father, or to adopt a child and claim that he or she is one's son or daughter.

The tradition of the wife adopting the husband's last name after marriage is not from Islam.

Regarding your last name, it is important Islamically that you preserve connection to your family name, that is the name of your father.  This is so you and your progeny will know who their ancestors were and this will also preserve honor and dignity amongst society.

Regarding the legal issues and related fees, what I have heard from the Ulema is that you are not responsible for what is beyond your ability, so if your parents disagree about it or it is too costly, you may leave what is on paper aside.  You will not be held accountable inshaAllah, as Allah says:

"And fear Allah as much as you are able too."

and He also says:

"Allah wishes for you ease, and does not wish for you hardship."

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: