// It's embarrassing to be named an icon: Bachchan
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tzu
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's embarrassing to be named an icon: Bachchan  (Read 1948 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Mar 15, 2008 01:51 PM »

Hmm... The first time I got to know that India has had a Mulsim as President was through the movie - Namastey London!

________________________________________________________________________________________
Indo-Asian News Service
New Delhi, March 13, 2008

Superstar Amitabh Bachchan unveiled a book on India's icons by columnist and film critic Anil Dharker here on Wednesday, but said he was embarrassed to be included among India's top 20 iconic people.

"I find it embarrassing to be one of the 20 icons. I shouldn't be there," said Bachchan, who had come with his wife Jaya for the launch of "Icons: Men & Women Who Shaped Today's India".

However, Dharker dismissed the star's remarks. "Amitabh is just being modest. Humility is important and it comes from knowing that you have achieved a lot but there is so much more to achieve. And the icons know that."

He added: "The book will give you a sense of our country and where it is headed."

Dharker's book singularly establishes the unparalleled greatness and iconic status of men and women like former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Amartya Sen, Amitabh Bachchan, Sachin Tendulkar, M.F. Hussain, Charles Correa and Sonia Gandhi.

The book unfolds the charisma, exceptional destinies, talents and achievements of 20 men and women who continue to shape today's India.

"While choosing an icon from cricket we couldn't decide between Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar, so we decided to club them together. So actually there are 21 icons," Dharker said.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Redir.aspx?ID=dd31ff1f-0d4e-4fa6-80ca-86f1aa7dba50

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2008 06:32 PM »

The Big B and modesty?? Hmm...

The book unfolds the charisma, exceptional destinies, talents and achievements of 20 men and women who continue to shape today's India.

Does anyone think this applies to film stars?

Wassalam,

a_desert_rose
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2008 01:12 PM »

Equating acting with modesty is kind of difficult.  More often than not, modesty does not figure into acting going by what an actor is required to do in accordance with a script.

But may be there are actors who a modest when not acting.

Does anyone think this applies to film stars?

Is acting in itself an achievement?  I guess it depends on one's/people's perception.  I would consider achievements in other areas say, medicines, humanitarian, etc.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2008 09:10 PM »

salam

Amitabh Bachan is modest?Huh???

My dad used to work in Selfridges, Amitabh came shopping one day, and he asked to see every single lighter in stock, come closing time he was still dithering.
My dad closed up, to which the actor says, 'You're closing'
my dad said 'yes it is closing time come back tomorrow'
to which the modest actor replied...'Do you know who I am??'.

My dad closed his section and went home after reassurring the 'icon' he did indeed know who he was.

Maybe he has discovered this modesty late in life Roll Eyes

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2008 12:31 AM »

I don't know how you could be modest in that context. You're like the most famous well known actor in India. You're fabulously wealthy and people are screaming and fainting everywhere you go. Your children are a family dynasty and for all intents and purposes India's 'royalty'. It's like if Prince Charles walked into my store and started looking at stuff I dunno if I could be like sorry time to close get out. Then again your dad might not have been a fan Wink
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2008 01:36 AM »

dude even if i was a fan closing time is closing time, just bc he is a big actor and my being a  fan doesnt guarantee him special privelidgaes..(if I was letting everyone else shope some min extra after closing time, well then thats a diff thing) and price charles woh fighting front line in Iraq..I might close before closing time.. Wink (no matter how handsome he is;)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2008 07:32 AM »

Salaams,

Weird that I am, I dont consider these actors all that... they are just the regular people for me. And in fact, I'd do favors to a common human more, rather than actors, because the latter are usually proud.

Speaking of indian icons, I think Shakti kapoor shaped india better than amitabh.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2008 01:53 PM »

salam

Prince Charles could never be described as handsome. It was his son who was recently serving in Afghanistan Prince Harry (also not all that imo). Prince William (the elder son of Charles) used to be good looking when he was younger and looked more like his mum, but now sadly he appears to be morphing into his father complete with receding hair line....

Wassalaam

PS, my dad's a complete film buff, and this story only came to light oneday, when I saw an interview with the big B, who insisted he always gave his autograph as he was refused one by some famous actor once who was too busy and he felt heartbvroken about it....my dad said he's not as nice he pretended, he was pretty arrogant in real life.
Dad met lots of Indian film stars when he worked in Selfridges in the 70's, apparantly it was the department store the Indian stars shopped in, nowadays I would imagine they head towards Harrods and Harvey Nicks instead.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2008 08:54 AM »

Assalamualaikum,

My dad closed his section and went home after reassurring the 'icon' he did indeed know who he was.

I think if everyone treated these "stars" the way your dad did, sis Fozia, they wouldn't really get a chance to get so arrogant and big-headed. But I guess it's easy to let everything go to your head when you have thousands of hysterical fans screaming and fainting wherever you go Wink  I think out of today's actors, only Aamir Khan can be said to be truly humble:

Aamir Khan, despite being one of the most talented and most loved actors in Bollywood, doesn't find presence in Madam Tussauds wax hall of fame, and we have always wondered why the Brits have given Aamir a go-by.

Well, now it can be told; Khan was approached, but he chose to politely decline. And why so? Simple, he's just not interested.

Here's what Aamir has to say: “It's not important to me. I have been approached but I am not interested. People will see my films if they want to. Also, I can't deal with so many things, I have bandwidth only for that much. So things that don't interest me, I just let them pass. Each one has their own priorities on what interests them.”

http://www.indiatarget.com/cgi-bin/detailnews.cgi?id=5658

He's hardy ever in the media spotlight as well, and keeps his private life very private.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2008 01:28 AM »

and their is this big joke about amir khan how he never goes to the indian awards, only to the oscars...

on that note the filmfare awards this years are really funny, maan saif and sharukh can be mean;)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2008 07:49 AM »

Salaams,

on that note the filmfare awards this years are really funny, maan saif and sharukh can be mean;)

Blame it on the script.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2008 06:39 PM »

Haha I found them hilarious too, although it was a bit embarrassing for the peeps they made fun of (Hrithik for one looked distinctly annoyed).

Bro.H2H: yes, the script is there but the timing and delivery is also important Smiley

Wassalam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: