// fate/destiny?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Live life as if you will live forever, but do ibadah as if you'll die tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fate/destiny?  (Read 615 times)
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« on: Sep 15, 2011 11:34 AM »

Ive been reading a lot of quran and hadith lately, and Ive come across a concept I really cannot get my head around.

As muslims we believe Allah knows everything, past present and future. He knows whats in our hearts and the truths of everything. Allah knows what we are going to do before we do it, as he is all knowing.

We also believe that Allah has given us a choice to choose between right and wrong, good and bad.

My confusion is this: If Allah knows the future already, and knows what we are going to do today, tomorrow, next week, 10 years from now, and everything is pre-destined already, how can a person truly be responsible for our actions?

Using Abu Sufyan as an example (one of the Prophets worst enemies), he had only hatred in his heart, and could not accept the truth... but if Allah already knows the future wouldnt he already know that Abu Sufyan would not accept Islam?

I feel bad for thinking these thoughts, but I really need them answered. I cant determine the difference between free will and destiny in terms of Islam.... I feel so confused... if everything is already known by Allah how can we be held responsible?

Allah please forgive me for these doubts
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2011 06:02 PM »

wsalam,

Just because Allah KNOWS these things doesn't mean we don't have choices. Our choices and actions are what we will be held responsible for.

Allah already knew about Abu Sufyan, but Abu Sufyan in his life still had the choice in his life of whether or not to accept the truth.

Allah already knows where you will end up and where I will end up, but we still have to live out our lives and inshaAllah do our best.

So then why does Allah make us live out our life if he already KNOWS what we're going to do and choose? So that we come on the Day of J and are shown our choices and actions with witnesses including our own hands and feet etc, and we can't say we didn't do those things!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: