// Rabbit?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity - Ibn al-Qayyim
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rabbit?  (Read 2510 times)
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« on: Sep 20, 2011 04:46 AM »

Wasn't sure what category to list this under...

But,

Is eating rabbit halal?

Tried to look around the internet, but got some conflicting answers.  Apparently the Shias say it's haram, but the Sunnis say that it's halal....Huh?

Don't want to start a controversy or anything.  Just wanted to know if I could eat it.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2011 05:25 AM »

It's Halal! And something I liked Wink
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2011 07:06 AM »

Awww are u really going to eat this cute little thing...

j/k i know that was mean lol.

the weirdest thing i ever ate was squid!
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2011 07:57 AM »

sis J, squid is weird? lol
when I ate it for the first time, almost everyone in my family was "yucking" me
I wonder when I'll get to eat the spiny tailed lizards that my dad has been depriving me off Grin Tongue
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2011 09:34 AM »

salam

Sr Jannah I was gonna post this up, but figured it would be too mean...however as you have begun I may as well join in.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
moderatesufi
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2011 09:57 AM »

Once I went to my friends house. And he had pet rabbits, so he got one out, killed it, cooked it and we all ate it.
It tastes like chicken.

To answer your question "Is rabbit Hallal".
Only Hallal rabbit is Hallal!
Just as only Hallal beef, Hallal lamb and Hallal Chicken are Hallal.

Smiley

I didn't know shia had a problem with rabbit?
I know shia don't eat a lot of kinds of Fish. Shia believe only fish with scales are Hallal.
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2011 10:04 AM »

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=3893&CATE=107

I think this website is worth looking at

Althought I never knew that all sea creatures apart from fish arent allowed?
moderatesufi
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2011 10:19 AM »

There is a difference of opinion on this issue between the madhabs. In shafi, all sea animals are hallal.
Amongst the Hanafis, it depends on the individual and how he views the animal because of the hadith that states all animals need zabha except for fish and locusts.
So in Hanafi if the individual considers the Animal a fish, it is Hallal for him, if he considers it a non-fish it isn't.
I personally believe the term is linguistic and not biological because a whale is a Mammal, and whale is clearly Hallal because it was eaten by the Sahaba and the Prophet pbh in a very famous Hadith. So whale is linguistically a fish in regards to Hallal and Harram even though its biological classification is Mammal.
Just as whale is linguistically regarded as fish, so to are other sea creatures.
I am a Hanafi but eat all sea animals.
It is only really some Hanafi in India who refrain from things like shrimp. You will never find Hanafis in Turkey, Iraq, Burma or the many other Hanafi countries refraining from sea food.

austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2011 10:30 AM »

Moderatesufi, could you please find me that hadith where the Prophet (SAw) ate whale? I find that amazing!! Jazakallah in advance!
moderatesufi
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2011 11:48 AM »

It is the Lengthy Hadith of Jabir, reported in Sahih Muslim.
The famous Hadith where Sahaba were sent on Jihad, ran out of food so only ate a date a day, and that ran out too.
And Allah caused an Anbar to be thrown from the water. Anbar is a Sperm whale.
I would cut and past the Hadith here, but it is really very long, and because it is so famous everyone is probably already familiar with it so there is no point putting it here.

Modified: It is wrong of me to assume others know, this is the Hadith:
Jabir reported: Allaah's Messenger (may peace he upon him) sent us (on an expedition) and appointed Abu 'Ubaida our chief that we might intercept a caravan of the Quraish and provided us with a bag of dates. And he found for us nothing besides it. Abu Ubaida gave each of us one date (everyday). I (Abu Zubair, one of the narrators) said: What did you do with that? He said: We sucked that just as a baby sucks and then drank water over that, and it sufficed us for the day until night. We beat off leaves with the help of our staffs, then drenched them with water and ate them. We then went to the coast of the sea, and there rose before us on the coast of the sea something like a big mound. We came near that and we found that it was a beast, called al-'Anbar (spermaceti whale). Abu 'Ubaida said. It is dead. He then said: No (but it does not matter), we have been sent by the Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) in the path of Allaah and you are hard pressed (on account of the scarcity of food), so you eat that. We three hundred in number stayed there for a month, until we grew bulky. He (Jabir) said: I saw how we extracted pitcher after pitcher full of fat from the cavity of its eye, and sliced from it compact piece of meat equal to a bull or like a bull. Abu 'Ubaida called forth thirteen men from us and he made them sit in the cavity of its eye, and he took hold of one of the ribs of its chest and made it stand and then saddled the biggest of the camels we had with us and it passed under it (the arched rib), and we provided ourselves with pieces of boiled meat (especially for use in our journey). When we came back to Medina, we went to Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) and made a mention of that to him, whereupon he said: That was a provision which Allaah had brought forth for you. Is there any piece of meat (left) with you, so tnat you give to us that? He (Jabir) said: We sent to Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) tome of that (a piece of meat) and he ate it.
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2011 03:30 PM »

That is an amazing hadith. Jazakallah for sharing it Smiley
akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2011 03:46 PM »

Indians eat shrimps, at least in my city they do. My mum thinks crabs, lobsters etc etc are haram but I eat everything that comes out of the sea. My siblings and my father think that everything out of the sea is halal but they don't eat 'em all for the "yuck" factor Tongue
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2011 04:45 PM »

Hmmmm.As far as my little knowledge goes...there is clearly a difference between haraam-forbidden and makrooh-undesirable....

And any animal which was worthy of being hunted down (of course in the name of Allah) is halaal and exceptions are  clearly mentioned in the Quran.   So our cute little Buggs bunny is surely halaal.

The question of sea animals arises now.... except for fish and prawns...I was of the idea that all are makrooh....cause many are not like normal blooded....many sea creatures have blue blood and odd bodyparts...(Huh??) that makes them undesirable...

And I guess whale is makrooh too?Huh?

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2011 04:50 PM »

This thread needs more cuteness

Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2011 06:21 PM »

salam

You're going to eat this.........really?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh? Sad Grin

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2011 06:36 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

To the sisters in the house... Oops sorry thread...yikes I sound  a bit ghetto!
I have eaten rabbit.... Accidentally in Egypt... Sad .  Oh & it DOES taste like chicken.

I wouldn't eat it again. Just reminds me of a pet too much, in UK especially. They really are too cute to eat.
Ma'salam,

Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
akhan
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2011 06:42 PM »

Mubaraka bhai kia baat hai bhot dinoun ke baad? Smiley

Anyway, sis Fozia, lol, you want to make us feel guilty or what? Smiley
I've already eaten Rabbit umpteen times so sorry for letting you down.

And btw, why does everything have to be compared to chicken?
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2011 07:21 PM »

Ok, you guys....you're really trying to make me feel guilty about the poor cute little rabbits....

The whole reason I'm asking is because I've been reading a book on permaculture (short for permanent agriculture).  It's about setting up a garden so that all different parts interact together to make a (pretty much) self sustaining garden.  (If you're a gardener, read up on it.  It's fascinating.)  Anyway, one section was talking about raising rabbits.  Part of the whole permaculture thing includes animals, birds, and insects.  Since I live within city limits, I'm kinda limited as to what I can have.  I think I can get away with a rabbit pen.  Under the rabbit pen you place a worm bin.  The waste from the rabbits fall in the waste bin.  You add kitchen and garden scraps and let the worms do their thing...and the next thing you know, you have perfect compost!

As for actually eating the rabbits,  that will just happen if our economy gets even worse and we'll have to live off of what we can grow in our garden.  I don't buy into brother Moderatesufi's prediction of the disintegration of the US, but I do believe that our economic situation is just going to get worse and worse (watch a documentary call Collapse, you can probably find it on SurftheChannel or Hulu.)  If that happens, I want to be able to at least feel my family....  and yes, cute little rabbits, if it comes to that.

moderatesufi
« Reply #18 on: Sep 20, 2011 08:59 PM »

And I guess whale is makrooh too?Huh?

Firstly the Prophet PBH is unable to do Makroh or Harram.
It is part of his prophethood and wahiy.
The fact that he ate whale means, whale is something we can eat.

In regards to shrimp and seafood in the Hanafi Madhab. The word used is Mukruh tahreem, meaning Mukruh that is Harram. If you meant, Mukruh like it is ordinarily used, the word is Mukruh Tanzeem.
Hanifis make a distiction between the word Harram and Mukruh Tahreem, using the word Harram for things in which denial is kufr.

The reason why sea food that isn't regarded as fish is regarded as Mukruh tahrim is because of the Hadith that states Zabah is nessesary for all animals except fish and locusts.
Mufti Palunpri(One of the most knowledgable Hanifi scholars of today), when asked this question in regards to shrimp in my presense said "If you regard it as a fish, it is Hallal for you, if you regard it as not a fish it isn't".
So in Hanafi it depends on you, and what you take the word fish to mean. In regards to Other Madhabs, especially Shafi, it doesn't matter what you call it. It is Hallal for you.

Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2011 08:29 AM »

WARNING:People with weak hearts and especially weak digestive systems...please do not read this!!

Ehem ehem....Let me take the responsibility of making this thread a super yuky one!

What do you guys have to say about this...

Have seen and read that few people in  remote parts of this world eat rats,cats etc. etc.-courtesy discovery channel.

An we do have our very own famous chineese friends who relish snakes,frogs,....and the list goes on.I heard that they eat every thing with legs except the table and everything that flies except the aeroplane....

Is there anything said specifically about these in our islamic rules...Huh?

PS:Heard snakes and frogs taste like chicken too..... Grin
akhan
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2011 08:46 AM »

dude, you don't have to go all the way to China. Even in our city, waddars eat cats, bandicoots and what not

I had a teacher in school who was from Nagaland(china like state in India) and he used to eat snakes, he said it was like fish puke
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2011 09:20 AM »

salam

Bandicoots, people eat bandicoots?Huh?? puke that's like eating rats and mice puke puke puke

Most people say other meats tastes like chicken, but chicken with a slight taste, ie crocodile tastes like chicken with a fishy essence!

Human flesh tastes like pork apparently, apparently it has a sweet taste to it and is very moreish!

Do I win most disgusting post?

Wassalaam

akhan
Bro

« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2011 10:58 AM »

Yea, there are certain groups of people called "waddars" and "lambadas". The waddars in older times used to work as stone crushers and the lambadas sort of like gypsies. I know they eat bandicoots and cats. Probably they eat other things as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: