// Muslim Miss Universe
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The first law of dietetics seems to be: if it tastes good, it's bad for you. - Isaac Asimov
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Muslim Miss Universe  (Read 1353 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Sep 19, 2011 05:42 PM »

Every Muslim guy's dream??  Cheesy These sisters should be matched up to the Young Imam contest winners non? -- J.
============================

CAIRO – A beauty pageant for hijab-clad Muslim women who can recite the holy Qur’an in Arabic and participate in the welfare of their society has been held in West Jakarta to choose Muslims’ ‘Miss Universe’.

“It’s the first online Islamic beauty contest in the world,’’ Eka Shanty, executive director of the nonprofit Indonesia Islamic Fashion Consortium, which organized the event, told The Jakarta Globe.

“In the Miss Universe contests, the candidates parade their bodies in revealing dresses,” Eka added.

“But in this contest, they’re all covered. Not an inch of skin shows, except for their faces and hands.”

Coming to Puri Agung Grand Ballroom in West Jakarta last Week, 10 young women wearing colorful hijabs and dresses sat on the floor to recite the verses of the holy Qur’an.

These young women were all finalists of Muslimah Beauty 2011, a beauty pageant held for young Muslim women in Indonesia which aims to recognize the beauty and potential of young women who wear hijabs.

Coming through a long way, the contest began by online registration on social media Web site DetikForum.com.

The contest required Muslim Indonesian women between the ages of 18 and 24, over 165 centimeters in height, who don hijab, could recite Qur’an in Arabic and was fluent in another foreign language.

“The registration method was very effective,” said Arifin Asydhad, the Web site’s deputy editor in chief.

“We received 1,170 registrations from almost every part of Indonesia.”

Candidates from different areas in Indonesia were first shortlisted to 50 based on their physical appearance, achievements and educational background.

Ten finalists were selected on Sept. 9 and placed under “quarantine” at Grand Sahid Jaya Hotel in Central Jakarta on Sept. 11-12.

“We call the quarantine period Manasik Kecantikan Hati [rituals for inner beauty],” Eka said.

“During this period, all candidates performed sholat tahajud [early morning prayer] at 3 am and studied the Qur’an together.”

Inner Beauty

Trotting in their colorful hijab, contestants’ beauty was more than just a pretty face.

“In my opinion, true beauty comes from the inside,” Dika Restiyani, the winner of the beauty pageant, said.

“A truly beautiful woman is someone who benefits and inspires other people.”
Restiyani studies at the Nanyang Technological University.

She also manages, along with a group of friends, Pelangi Anak Negeri (Children of the Nation’s Rainbow), an organization that provides education for street children in South Jakarta.

Another finalist, Kholifah Nuzulia Firdausy, works as an architect in Malang, East Java. She also runs a library for disadvantaged children in the area.

Most of the finalists said they have been wearing the hijab since they were young.

“I feel comfortable in a hijab,” said finalist Shayma Faisal Abri, who started donning hijab when she was 6.

“It protects me from exposure to matahari [sunlight] and mata laki-laki [men’s eyes],” the 18-year-old added with a smile.

Reaching the final stage, the finalists represented role models for Indonesian women who observe their religion.

“They’re the heroines of Indonesian Muslim women,” said Edy Putra Irawady, the deputy minister for trade and industry.

“They’re all very young, yet they possess great talents and huge potential. They should be the role models and benchmarks for Indonesian Muslim women.”

Eka, the executive director of the nonprofit Indonesia Islamic Fashion Consortium, agrees.

“The winners will be the fashion and beauty icons of young Muslim women in Indonesia,” Eka said.

“They’ll also represent Indonesian Muslim women to the world at large.

The event is also expected to draw the attention of all Muslim world, being held in the country with the largest Muslim population

“Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the world,” Eka explained.

“That’s why it should also be the Mecca for Muslim beauty and fashion in the world.”
moderatesufi
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2011 06:55 PM »

Reply, No!

It isn't befitting for women who believe in Allah and the last day to paint themselves up for the visual benefit of men other than their Husbands.

In Miss World/Miss Universe, Women from all over the world starve themselves and bleach their skins selves to look like every white man's dreams.
And these women have done exactly that, except with a scarf on their heads.

Clothed but yet unclothed?
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2011 07:23 PM »

They're not 'painting themselves up for the visual benefit of men'.  Roll Eyes There is no pageant!! That picture of them assumedly on stage is after they've won. Of the pictures they send in, not sure how the judges are evaluating 'physical beauty' but found it interesting that their other criteria is age, height, reading quran, knowing another language besides indonesian, achievements and educational background. Does this sound any different than what most guys look for in marriage? So why insult the women here? Cuz they chose to enter the contest I suppose? It's interesting that in almost everything the woman is blamed...what about the people who created this contest and so on. No one else in need of advice except the beautiful women huh Smiley

The other thing I found interesting is that the gov't or whoever organized it really wanted these beautiful, religious, hijabi women to be role models for other girls and even their whole nation. Now you could ask why the "physical" criteria was in there, why not just have a regular quran/achievement type contest? But we all know beautiful people are/do better dawah/more likely to be role models .... (I wonder if this would be more acceptable if women did the judging)...so all in all very interesting here...
moderatesufi
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2011 07:39 PM »

But we all know beautiful people are/do better dawah.... (I wonder if this would be more acceptable if women did the judging)...so all in all very interesting here...

Wow With all due respect to my brothers in Islam and how Allah created them I had no idea that the sisters found the likes of Zakir Nick, Yusuf Estis and Ahmed Deedat raheemullah physically attractive.

I was always of the understanding that it was these brothers beautiful words and their beautiful Iman that made them so good at Dawa.
Speaking as a Heterosexual male I might not be qualified to judge this, but I really didn't think their dawa success had anything to do with people finding them visually beautiful?
Well, you sisters might be a better judge of that than me?

Oh by the way, I don't find white washed brown faces attractive.
Brown faces are attractive, white faces are attractive. But painting a Brown/Black face white just seems a bit Michael Jackson to me.
I am sure the Imams would agree?
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2011 07:57 PM »

I think it's just the nature of human beings, they are more likely to look up to people who are more 'pleasing to look at'. Look at every teenager's wall. Beauty is definitely subjective but I do think the majority of respected Islamic speakers do not have anything physically wrong with them and are generally 'good looking ppl'. Could be their character and imaan coming through. This doesn't mean the audience is physically attracted to them, just that their presence is normally a pleasing one.

So imagine a young girl listening to talk on hijab: one speaker is a beautiful younger girl wearing a stylish hijab style, the other an older matronly tante wearing whatever tantes wear. Do you see why this would make a difference?

AND.......
If we're going to talk about skin bleaching, let's take a look at the Muslim world where this is a BIG ugly hidden cancer. From Indonesia to Indo-Pak to Africa to even the Arab world, Muslim men are obsessed with white skin.  If they didn't find it attractive why would women do that to themselves. It's because that's what men look for and find attractive and marry. Read all the matrimonial ads and talk to girls who are trying to get married. It's a given fact in Desi society to be rejected if you have dark skin but even in places like Malaysia my friend told me the more white paper chinese/ish skin you have the more beautiful you are considered. Again why blame the women, they're only trying to uphold the beauty standards of their society and to get married. Why not blame the men for being the cause of all this?! Smiley   oldshaykh
moderatesufi
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2011 08:15 PM »

Jannah, this may come as a big surprise to you, but there is a big difference between what men look for and what women think men look for.
That is what Anoreksia nervosa is all about.
Yes a lot of guys are attracted to whites, but that doesn't mean a girl can up her chances by painting her face white.
A brown face painted white doesn't make a girl look white, it makes her look like a brown girl who has painted her face white.
I really wish you didn't remove my eyebrow plucking post. Because that is related to this. Those women thinking it makes them attractive to men, when in reality it makes them look really weird.
Humans have eyebrows, pluck them out and the person doesn't really look human any more.

You know, women should really ask the men they are attracted to, before they do silly things to change their appearance.
They might just find that the male had previously been attracted to them, but changed his mind due to the change in appearance?

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2011 07:29 AM »

Jannah, this may come as a big surprise to you, but there is a big difference between what men look for and what women think men look for.

I was talking about what men look for. For proof I direct you to any matrimonial website, auntie with a son or single guy in ur community.

Whether it looks good, realistic, or if those bleaches are effective or not (they're not and are very harmful) isn't the point. The point is the root cause is that muslim guys want fairer skinned girls especially for marriage.

You know, women should really ask the men they are attracted to, before they do silly things to change their appearance.
They might just find that the male had previously been attracted to them, but changed his mind due to the change in appearance?

That is a good point and no doubt there are good brothers who think all that over-makeuping/plucking/skinny/tightclothes look is a little much. Then again noticing how all the guys make a bee-line to certain girls who do just that I see why they end up doing it.

Again why blame the girl, what about all the muslim guys who are shallow, no criticism for them moderatesufi?
moderatesufi
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2011 09:54 AM »

Jannah I meant what guys look for, and yes again, some guys look for light skin. But light skin doesn't mean bleached skin.
Or more make up than a clown.

The bleach will wear out, and the make up will wash of, and than what will be left of the marriage?

The reason why guys make a B-line towards women dressed a certain way. Is because they think they are easy.
They think dress and make up makes a statement, which says, "I wont mind you coming up to me and talking to me".

Again why blame the girl, what about all the Muslim guys who are shallow, no criticism for them moderatesufi? 

Well, you ever heard of the words, individual responsibility?
Or are those words only meant to be heard by men?
They alone are responsible for what they do.

It is true women women can do with a bit of make up hear and there during the marriage meeting, and some really need to remove their beards and moustaches if they will ever have any home of finding anyone, including to brothers who really aren't all that interested in looks.
But some things they do, will do more to scare men away than attract them.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2011 05:58 PM »

If society around them causes them to act like that, it's societies responsibility as well. Especially if it causes problems for society at large. Ultimately everyone is responsible for their individual actions on the Day of J. but if someone's actions or even collective actions contribute to cause someone else to do wrong, they'll be responsible too.

I find this a prevalent theme in our ummah....everything women do is wrong and blamed on her, yet when you step back and look at why, there are a lot of reasons and conditions for her taking that path including actions by men.

For example, if there's a Mosque where the men don't allow the women to pray. Let's say a woman is near there and has to pray...it IS her responsibility, but if she decides it's not safe to pray on the street or illegal like in France she may miss the time of her prayer. Who's fault is it? Who is blameworthy here? Ultimately her. But those who prevented her are blameworthy as well.

The world is not black and white. There's no such thing as black and white even when it comes to our deen. People who think in a unidirectional way are doing an extreme disservice to Islam and Muslims.

Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2011 07:42 PM »

Assalamualaikum

I think this contest is an irony of sorts. I think I need to laugh.

After reading some threads on the official message board of "Muslim Beauty 2011", and watching a couple of contestants on youtube - this IS a beauty and modelling contest. But with a more "Islamic" stance with Quran reading, interviews, community work et al.

The contest's main aim is to find an ambassador for Indonesia's Muslimah Fashion Industry - (to make Indonesia a Paris in muslimah fashion). The contest was held in RAMADAN. The contestants were JUDGED on being "photogenic and good-looking". There was a physical (as opposed to online) catwalk. 3 of the juries were MALE.

And to hit the nail home, all of the finalists ARE fair! (yes, fairness is subjective, but one would describe them as fair Asians). Hence, the role-model for all young girls out there, and a yard stick for a good wife for single Muslim men.

I am sorry, but I am so not impressed.

We can make suggestions for alternatives. But that's a whole other thread. Smiley

Allahualam
Wassalamualaikum

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2011 03:32 AM »

walaikum salaam barr,

hope you're doing well where you are! thanks for doing the research, it all seems so strange really...

as for alternatives, a few years ago we had an all girls eid-gala event and we had a fake beauty pageant portion with girls representing different countries with their national dress and wearing sashes with their country name and everything. we had a whole running script of funny jokes for each country, and in the end the audience picked the winner! no quran reading however but definitely good fun Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: