// Iphone vs Ipad vs....
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: If a gem falls into mud it is still valuable. If dust ascends to heaven, it remains valueless. - Saadi al-Shiraz
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iphone vs Ipad vs....  (Read 3158 times)
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« on: Sep 20, 2011 07:35 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Those of you who want iphone 5 (I do... & I recall on BrKhalid's Eid wishlist)... do you really? Or is it just a glorified Samsung?

Ma'Salam,
Cinders

Samsung seeks sales ban on iPhone 5
By Park Ji-Hwan | AFP

A Samsung Electronics flag flies in Seoul. The South Korean copmpany will file lawsuits …
South Korea's Samsung Electronics will file lawsuits to try to block the sale of Apple's iPhone 5 as part of its global legal tussle with the US technology giant, a report said Tuesday.
The two firms are at loggerheads in a series of patent lawsuits over the technology and design of their smartphones and tablet computers.
Maeil Business Newspaper cited a Samsung official as saying the firm would "strategically" launch the legal actions as Apple was expected to start selling the much-anticipated smartphone next month.
"We have not yet decided whether to launch the suits in South Korea or in a third country," the unidentified official was quoted as saying.
It was unclear whether Samsung would seek a sales ban only in South Korea or internationally. A Samsung Electronics spokesman declined to comment.
Apple has accused Samsung of "slavishly" copying the technology and designs of its market-leading iPhone and iPad.
It has filed complaints in countries including Germany and Australia, seeking a ban on sales of Samsung's Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab.
Samsung, the world's biggest memory chip maker and the number two mobile phone maker after Nokia, has launched counter-suits claiming its US rival infringed its wireless technology patents.
The Suwon-based company earlier this month was forced to withdraw its new tablet PC from a major electronics fair in Berlin after a German court approved a request from Apple to ban sales and marketing.
Samsung however vowed to appeal, saying it would actively take "all available measures, including legal options" to defend its presence in the European market.
The company said last week it had filed complaints in France against Apple alleging infringement of three mobile phone technology patents in the US firm's iPhone and iPad.
The complaint was filed before a Paris district court in July and the first hearing is expected in December.
Despite their legal battles, Apple is one of the biggest customers for Samsung's chips and display screens.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/photos/two-firms-loggerheads-over-technology-design-smartphones-tablet-photo-012715071.html

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2011 07:52 PM »

Lol I dunno who is stealing ideas or if ideas are being stolen but I really think thaylt the legal aspects of life are just too complicated these days. It's becoming far too easy to sue and sue successfully too.

On a side note I really really want an iPhone 5. Inshallah this eid! If it ever cOmes out that is.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2011 08:08 PM »

iPhone's will come and go, all I want is Saudi citizenship Cheesy

I know, you guys are gonna hate me for bringing this into a serious conversation, but I just couldn't resist Grin
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2011 04:19 AM »

bruv u do know u can never ever be a citizen of saudi right??

as for iphone vs ipad i just can't get used to touching a screen for everything...im
definitely old school i love pounding away on a keyboard i could even go back to prehistoric unix days happily... all the same stuff was there really  computer
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2011 07:11 AM »

bruv u do know u can never ever be a citizen of saudi right??
yea, but no harm in dreaming about it Smiley
moderatesufi
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2011 07:40 AM »

You can, they have changed the law now. If you live there for nine years or more, you can now apply for citizenship.
Oh is that 10?
It used to be five but they changed it?
Anyway, if you have lived their for a certain amount of years and have key skills you can.

Cinders
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2011 07:59 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Ok, the status of Br akhan's citizenship in Saudi has been denied Wink . Let's  stick to the topic.
Is there such a thing as an original idea anymore? & in the modern day or world are too many lawsuits being filed on infringements of copyright & patents etc? Also how many WOULD like iPhone 5 if possible? (disregarding wealth etc...] Also, is it more to do with popular culture, a brand 'must have'? (I notice females & males alike are certainly into them). Also, apparently, some girls from Indian sub continent are asking for them as part of their Maher... Don't know how true this is  Huh? Is it? Maybe someone from there could enlighten us?

Ma'Salam,
Cinders

akhan
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2011 08:43 AM »

moderatesufi, that law has been in existence for 10-15 years now but the conditions are such that maybe 1 or 2 people out of the entire foreign population in Saudi actually became citizens. It's practically impossible.

sticking to the topic..iPhone5 for mahr? first time I've heard that
over here, it's usually the men who have certain demands, or the groom's family rather.. the mahr is somewhere in the corner
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2011 09:26 AM »

salam

I don't wantthe iPhone5 I want the iPhone6.

Br Akhan, I assume instead of the usually jewelery or monetary sum set during the nikah the brides side askes for an iPhone instead.

What you're thinking of is the dowry, where the boys side asks for cars, and scooters, and airdconditioning units, and money....... I hate the Indian tradition of demanding a dowry from the girls side. As it is the girls are expected to furnish the marital room anyway, additional demands from in-laws must make it near impossible for poorer families to marry their daughters (on the other hand I don't think I'd want to give my daughters to such grabby families).

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2011 10:45 AM »

Walaiykum Salam,

Sis Fozia, is that because you don't qualify for the iPhone 5 due to super long *expensive* contracts attached to the iPhone? I like how you made it clear that you want iPhone 6, before iPhone 5 has been launched!

Well I have been reliably informed that a couple of educated girls in Pakistan have rejected jewellery & gold etc in favour of iPhone. I for one would never contemplate that whatsoever. I think if I was to have my time again getting married, I'd forgo the jewellery for bars of gold instead! That would be super. Cheesy

Also, another question.. IF you did accept iPhone as part of your Mahr, does the grade/model constitute class or status? Speaking in modern terms of course.. i.e. iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5 etc... & how about second Hand iPhones? Is that acceptable? Oh is it a different level if it's like an iPad, MacBook pro.. Air.. Etc?
Lots to think about. Get your thinking caps on. Wink

Ma'Salam
Cinders.

akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2011 10:54 AM »

sis Fozia, I don't know how they do it in other parts of India, but here, the bride/her family doesn't get to ask for whatever mahr. They just accept whatever they get. There might be exceptions, but all I've seen, known and heard is just this. Usually it's just a fraction of the boy's dowry. He/his family rather, gets all the dowry - car, AC, iPhone5, money ; and out of that they pay a tiny amount as mahr. My cousin did it, actually his mum(my aunt, ironically, she also runs a small madrasah) planned it all. They took Rs.400000 as dowry + furnishing and then paid Rs.21000 as mahr.

Even when the boy/his family don't ask for dowry, still the bride/her family won't get to demand mahr. They just have to accept what's given to them.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2011 12:11 PM »

salam

Br Akhan, really?  Shocked I'm deeply shocked, I thought all Muslims girls to set their own Mahr, the dowry things is a hindu tradition, where the boys side demands a list of insane things.

My cousins when they got married, one found out his mahr at the nikah, the girl (form a very poor background) demanded a huge sum of money, so my aunty gave her the gold they were going to gift her anyway as her Mahr. We pay at point of Nikah.

I am so shocked there are muslims who deny theiy wives their islamic right, the men do not set the level of the Mahr, the woman has a right to ask whatever she wants!

Sr Cinders, I always get the second upgrade, I never get the first one, so I had a 3gs etc....there's an element of being locked in my contract, but I bet the next upgrade will have bugs which will be ironed out in the following upgrade!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2011 01:05 PM »

It is a hindu tradition and it is, sadly, being followed pretty much to the hilt. At least in Hyderabad it is, I've no idea whatsoever about the rest of India.

I am not sure if I can blame the boys, because like the girls, even they have no say in their own wedding. Some have the courage to speak up(and may Allah reward them) against their own parents and their wives are a lucky lot. But still, I've never heard about mahr being demanded. My friend's sister got married to a nice guy like that. His parents wanted all the furnishing and money but he refused and going against the tradition, he paid a really high mahr. She brought her car but he told her to return it to her parents and he bought her a new one.  But even in this case, the girl didn't demand it. He paid and they accepted. It has actually become a tradition in itself, neither side really bothers about it. I wonder if the girls even know that they can demand whatever they want.

austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2011 08:31 PM »

Do you really want to become a citizen of Saudi? I hope you get to become one if thats what you really want.

I had no idea that in Hyderabad girls were not getting their mahr, and I also had no idea that guys demanded dowry either... Its a strange concept, I always assumed girls would get their mahr without too much trouble... But even though I am technically Hyderabadi I have never lived there so I guess I wouldnt be aware.

Is there such a thing as an original idea anymore? & in the modern day or world are too many lawsuits being filed on infringements of copyright & patents etc?

Its hard to say... apparently Apple has like thousands of patents stored even though they do not use them, just in case they will in the future or to prevent others from using them... so I guess there are too many lawsuits being filed.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2011 08:52 PM »

Do you really want to become a citizen of Saudi? I hope you get to become one if thats what you really want.
Ameen! I want to coz citizens get some really good benefits. I believe unemployment benefits have been raised to SR 3,000 now. That's what most engineers from India and elsewhere make for the first 4-5 years. Kuwait has the most awesomest benefits of any GCC country, or any country in the world I suppose. But, I'll stick with Saudi Smiley

I had no idea that in Hyderabad girls were not getting their mahr, and I also had no idea that guys demanded dowry either... Its a strange concept, I always assumed girls would get their mahr without too much trouble... But even though I am technically Hyderabadi I have never lived there so I guess I wouldnt be aware.
They do get their mahr, it's just that they don't get to ask for it. Whatever the boy pays, the girl has to accept.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2011 06:30 PM »

cute cute
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2011 09:28 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Library card? What's that? Cheesy
My phone is a computer, library, shopping centre.....you name it, it's probably accessible in the virtual world of Cinder's iPhone. I can fit the whole thing, in my bag, & sometimes even in my pocket...woohoo!  Smiley

Ma'Salam,

Cinders

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2011 07:30 PM »

Salams

U know what I'd rather have than an iphone/ipad... a Dell mini!!!

They are a whole PC in a little mini package!! So perfect for travel, for writing, for anything!

lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2011 07:41 AM »

cute cute

i think the ipad is a godsend for people who have to read lots of stuff.  it makes it so much easier to read textbooks, papers and fun books (novels). 

i just wish somebody would made a tablet that you can write on with a Wacom  active digitizer with palm-rejection.  i read so much stuff, but i don't remember it because i don't have a way of creating electronic notes.  (wrt paper and pencil -- i tend to lose the paper notes, and they become disorganized).

i think the  iphone is overrated though.  i have a first gen one. i like it because it stores SMS messages forever, and i can text on it, and the contacts are easy to backup.  but all the app stuff is kind of pointless with respect to an ipad. 

i would say the one cool app for an iphone is skype on your phone.  i'd like to get one for my mom so she can skype my siblings from anywhere.

austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2011 09:30 PM »

IPhone 5 set to come out on the 4th of oct !!!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2011 09:53 PM »

peopleeee these minis even come in so many pretty colors!! and they're available now! Wink

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-mini1012/pd

and u can just slip it into your purse and do everything u could do on a regular computer!

i did try reading on a tablet/ipad once and it's definitely convenient to have all these books right there, but i'd rather have the book to be honest!!

having a stylus to take notes on a tablet though is definitely very cool!

PS iphone/ipad smiley for u addicts!! --> iphone

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2011 11:08 PM »

These DO look pretty spiffy . . they look bigger than those mini-computers that people take to libraries, that I think are mostly for word processing - I think those things are kinda useless outside of that setting.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2011 09:25 AM »

Those are called netbooks WCoastBaba. They are mainly for internet and wordprocessing I believe.

My mom has an Ipad and she cant live without it, but I agree with Jannah, I like the feel of an actual book in my hand.

I have a mini Sony Vaio Y series laptop, its about the same as a Macbook Air, and I love it! it was cheap, really really light, and is the perfect computer cuz literally it can fit into anything and I can take it anywhere. Plus it has awse battery life Smiley

that being said, I cant wait for the Iphone 5 in a few days time!!!
akhan
Bro

« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2011 02:20 PM »

In 5 days, an XPS 17 is coming to me Kiss
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2011 09:01 PM »

Yes, thanks Sis austmuslimah, I couldn't recall that word - netbooks.

Oh gosh you too with the iPhone 5! yeah, Oct 4 is the big announcement, but with out Steve Jobs, a little bit less exciting - not that that would matter to you Apple-ophiles.

I said before, my whole family has iPhone's and yes, they are probably easier to use and have better apps, but I am pretty happy with my Samsung and the Android system - as I also said, mom has an iPhone, as the guy said it was easier to use for those unfamiliar with smartphones,  the interface being more simple.

The only Apple product I own is the original iPod Shuffle and when I went to college - most of us had to buy a Apple laptop, the iBook, those colorful companions to the iMac (1st gen). You should have seen our computer room back then - so colorful!

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: