// Did Saudi Gov't admit a mistake in Announcing Eid al-Fitr 2011??
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "My son, exchange gifts, it will bring about love between you." - Anas talking to Thabit (May Allah be pleased with them)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Saudi Gov't admit a mistake in Announcing Eid al-Fitr 2011??  (Read 1180 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Oct 02, 2011 08:28 PM »

Yikes now nations are moonfighting Sad

http://www.ibn-tv.com/2011/09/saudi-government-admitted-their-mistake-in-announcing-eid-al-fitr-2011/

Saudi Government admitted their Mistake in Announcing Eid al-Fitr 2011

Saudi government officials have reportedly apologized to their nation and said that they would pay Kaffarah of (1 Billion SR riyal as expiation for breaking the fast during the holy month of Ramadan) for the entire Saudi nation. The Government gave order to the people and citizen of Saudi Kingdom to do fasting of one day because Eid Al-Fitr was not supposed to be on August 30/2011.

The society had said that people actually saw the planet Saturn and not the crescent moon that marks the beginning of the Islamic month of Shawwal.

Hatem Auda, director of the National Institute for Astronomical and Geophysical Research, had said that astronomical calculations by scientists of the institute noted that the first day of the Eid was Wednesday, August 31, making Tuesday, August 30 the last day of Ramadan for the Hijri year of 1432.

Various news agencies such as Al-Arabiya and Aljazeera have also reported that the planet Saturn has been mistaken for the Hilal (crescent moon), and this means that what was announced as the first day of Eid al-Fitr was supposed to be a day of fasting, rather than celebrations.

According to the Aljazeera report, the source of these problematic Hilal-sighting is from Sudair, a region located approximately 150km North of the capital Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

The vice-president of Jeddah Astronomy Society reassured that it is impossible to view the Hilal with the naked eye.

While a number of Muslim countries like Iran announce the new crescent only on the basis of frequent sightings by the people, astronomy societies and clerics inside their borders, many others rely on the sightings done by Saudi Arabia and announcement of the Eid crescent by Riyadh.

Thus, those Muslim nations who have followed the Saudi suit as usual and celebrated the last Tuesday as Eid al-Fitr are now angry with the Saudis as Eid al-Fitr is the biggest eve for the worldwide Muslim community.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2011 08:32 PM »

salam

Oh. Sweet. GOD!!!!!!!! Shocked Undecided Shocked :'( Shocked  Sad what about the rest of the world who follow masjids who follow Saudi?Huh? <we need a tearing out ones hair emoticon>

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2011 08:27 AM »

Yes, heard about this just after E'id. Here in Portland, we celebrated on the Wednesday, rather than Tues - which also when India and Pakistan celebrated it. Usually we celebrate it a day earlier . . so my mamu sent a 'passionate' e-mail saying that we were "unified" with the motherlands, etc . . a bit of a joke ..  but sadly, this supposed mistake just goes to show what a mess this whole thing is, with the Hilal wars . . just dream of the day when we are all celebrating E'id on the same day.

*sigh*

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2011 08:52 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Oh my goodness! Now that's happened, do the people who celebrated Eid on Tuesday 30th have to make up the extra fast? Does anyone know? Also is the Saudi government going to pay kafarah for all us folk who followed them?   Huh?

Ma'Salam
Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2011 09:31 AM »

salam

I think in this instance the Saudi government could conceivably argue that they are not repsonsible for masjids outside of the kingdom who follow them, to be fair our masjids should go look for the moon themselves!!!!! :'( Sad :'(

May Allah accept our fasts and forgive us.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2011 10:29 AM »

I am sure if our intentions are pure, then Allah will forgive us
But it wouldnt hurt to do an extra make up fast now that we know
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2011 10:43 AM »

Salam
I suppose Saudi should clearly choose their mode of sighting. If they know they would later resort to Astronomical data, why not use that in the first place? To me human sighting is subjected to errors and the Shariah knows that. In the Hadith where the Prophet(pbuh) directed us to fast 30days if the moon is shielded vividly shows that the moon may be their but because pp couldnt see it, it wouldnt count. May Allah accept our good deeds and forgive us the evil ones.
WS

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2011 02:31 PM »

salam

This is a hoax .  This was never reported on any Saudi media or reliable media like bbc, aljazeera, alarabiya...

you'd think that if Saudi made such an announcement they'd publish it somewhere in their news.

that does not mean that they were right in  celebrating eid on tuesday..but it just says that whoever is spreading this is not Saudi officials. 

there is a real problem these days with verifying what we read and hear.  everyone has to double check and do some due diligence so insha'Allah this is a lesson to all of us.

take care

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2011 05:17 PM »

wsalam,

Not truly sure if this is a hoax. Similar articles have been appearing all over in different media sources ever since this past Eid. And related articles about the moonfighting in Saudi have been appearing all over the Arab media. But true if Saudi told all it's citizens to fast another day it should have been posted somewhere in their newspapers. So dunno...

Here's some others in Arabic someone pls read them and let us know what they say:

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/08/31/164873.html

http://www.kuwaitnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14288&catid=34&Itemid=144#.Tl7JLZi3jdO.facebook

--------------------------------------

Astronomer threatened with lawsuit for doubting Eid moon sighting

By MD HUMAIDAN | ARAB NEWS

Published: Sep 3, 2011 23:40 Updated: Sep 3, 2011 23:40

JEDDAH: A number of conservative scholars have threatened to sue Saudi astronomer and scientist Khaled Al-Zaaq for doubting the testimony of citizens who reported to the Hilal panel (moon sighting committee) that the Shawwal crescent was visible on Ramadan 29 (Aug. 29).

After confirming the veracity of the sighting by the people who had reported to the panel, the committee declared the end to the fasting month of Ramadan and signaled the advent of Eid Al-Fitr the next day (Tuesday).

The threats of action came amidst an ongoing debate between Muslim scholars and astronomers about the possibility and probability of sighting the moon on Aug. 29. The astronomers claim the moon could not be sighted on that day as it had eclipsed before sunset.

According to the Islamic calendar, the Arabic months can be either 29 or 30 days long. On many occasions, Eid has been celebrated after only 29 days of fasting.

But this year the debate turned heated after Al-Zaaq was widely quoted by local press and electronic sites that there was no way to sight the crescent on the night of Ramadan 29, thus casting doubts on the testimony of those who claimed to have seen it.

The purists said the astronomer should not have cast doubts on the testimonies of the people who sighted the moon because their antecedents are checked before their word is accepted. Those who call in after sighting the moon are known for their integrity and straightforwardness.

A number of Saudi astronomers had issued press statements claiming that the moon could not be sighted while renowned Islamic scholars defended the testimonies of the people who sighted the moon and said Eid came at the right time.

Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah Al-Asheikh in his Friday sermon at Imam Turki bin Abdullah Mosque in Riyadh described those who doubted the moon sighting as "motivated and deviated people with foul mouths."

"There are unjust pens and foul tongues that cast doubt on our religion which should be silenced. We are strictly following the Sunnah of our Prophet in fasting and marking Eid days," he said, accusing the doubting astronomers of trying to impose their opinions on the nation.

The mufti said the Shariah was clear in the procedures of moon sighting and added that Muslims would never give up the Sunnah for false opinions.

The moon was very clear the next day and was seen in various areas on Tuesday night. This supported the stand of those who said they had sighted the moon on Monday evening.

A number of citizens in the western Al-Ais area said they were able to sight the moon on the night of Monday for half an hour. Their testimony contradicts the claims of the astronomers who said that the moon could not be sighted.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article497239.ece

More about the fitnah: http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentID=20110904108221
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: