Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single muslim man is in want of a muslim wife.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Official 'Shukr' Thread!!  (Read 2603 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Oct 03, 2011 04:20 AM »

salam,
 smileysis

Ok inspired by this blog http://1000awesomethings.com/ The author also wrote a book about weird, off the wall things we should be thankful for!! So when something good happens, esp weird things pls post!

I'll go first..........

I'm thankful for..............

- nectarines on sale at the end of summer sale. Yum.

- that the kids in my class are hilarious when talking about the day of J one boy says dramatically "sister Jannah, I'm too young to die!" very funny

- that i have a new car to drive

- umm surely i have more things...when i think of them i'll post, ur turn! (surely there is more good in the world to be thankful about??)

sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2011 04:30 PM »

Salam.

Let me join you in thanking Almighty for.....

Having completed my undergraduate course successfully. Alhamdulillah.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2011 04:47 PM »

We can never thank Allah enough but in the spirit of the thread, I'm thankful for

- the decent GRE score that I got today happy

- for some wonderful friends

- for all those trips to Saudi

and many more things....these are the top three that somehow stuck around in my mind all day today
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2011 05:03 PM »

Wsalam,

Yayyy good job bros I'm proud of ya  happy
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2011 05:27 PM »

Yup, proud of you bhaya!

As for me . . .

1. Shukr'Allah for getting me through those tough 6 yeas, away from my family, getting me through days where I was just in my flat on my own, when friends were partying in places that didn't suit me . . and of course, the related issue of being apart from my Amma and getting both of us to this point, where I can finally start to move to a another stage in life.

2. Though it was for a short time, for giving me a wonderful father that I am so very proud of, and that during Abba's short term on this Earth, for giving us a very close relationship.

3. For my wonderful loving (extended) family, both here in the US and abroad (India, Pakistan, England). Without them, I don't know how I would have gotten through tough times or even more recently, to have that support while being away from home (England family).

4. For my online family  - (yup, that means YOU!) have 'met' so many wonderful people that I can call my brothers and sisters in Faith and some of whom I hope to meet in real life insha'allah - I truly mean this, not just for brownie points (though, those are welcome! lol).

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2011 05:30 PM »

I rep everyone who posts good stuff in this thread so keep em coming!!  madinaflag
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2011 08:12 PM »

@akhan:Congratulations to u for good score!!This calls for  bebzi

coming back to this thread...

Alhamdulillah for all that He  has given me, both which I had prayed for and which He granted me without me asking for it.

Thank You Allah for  making me born as a Muslim,giving good parents,good siblings,for providing decent means of livelihood,for making me free from any mental or physical disabilities and making me free from any debilitating illness,for good education and good friends.

There are soooo many things to thank for!!!Can't count Allah's blessings right now!!

Will post them later! Smiley

silver
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
silver has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2011 08:56 PM »

Alhamdulillah, the weather is nice here these days ... 80s feels so good! Smiley
sadah
Brother
Bro

sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2011 11:13 AM »

I rep everyone who posts good stuff in this thread so keep em coming!!  madinaflag

You wanna bribe us? Don't mind me, I like that style, u will be getting a rep back... bebzi

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2011 11:28 AM »

lol it's just a rep-fest in here!!  goodvibes

sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2011 03:50 PM »

@Akhan Congrats man for the awesome performance. May be I'll apply for tutorial as I'm planning to take Toefl and the GRE in november. Hope I wont need to come over to Hyderabad! Wink sultan

akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2011 04:19 PM »

well, it isn't that awesome sadah, it's more than what I was expecting though..I was expecting somewhere around 1200 but the range is 1300-1500..donno how this will translate into the new scale though. it's supposed to be out in november.. I just hope it's good enough.

And trust me, you won't need any tutorials. I was planning on taking them so I went for a few days and didn't find 'em necessary. Although it would've boosted my preparation time from a few days to at least a month Tongue

I used ETS's "The official guide to the GRE revised general test" and Barron's "New GRE 2012" . I've heard great reviews about Gruber's and Princeton Review but personally I found Barron's better because it has more practice questions than test taking strategies. Gruber's and Princeton are a little low on practice and full on heavy on strategies, especially Gruber's. But, you make your own choice based on what suits you. This is what worked for me. I'd still say that ETS's book is a must have coz it gives you a more accurate insight into the GRE. You can take my books if you want, for free. You'll only have to pay for the courier service which I guess will be more than the actual cost Cheesy

And don't forget to keep practicing as much as you can. Take as many mock tests as you can before the actual test, it really helps. I took just one and I regret not having taken more. Most books have four practice tests in them - two paper based and two on a CD. ETS's book comes with the powerprep software(you can also download this from ets.org for free). It's loaded with one test which according to most people gives you the nearest picture of what your real score is going to be. But, it didn't give me my real picture Tongue I guess I did well just on the test day Grin

Good Luck!
sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2011 04:42 PM »

I trust you. Insha'Allah you will have more than required.

I so much appreciate your offer. Yeah I guess I wont need tutorials if at all I could give it much of my time, and I will do just that. A friend gave me alot of material on both exams. Considering the proximity I think I should rather limit to that, plus I can just purchase little more here. I had started going through that of Toefl but because of my final yeah thesis and exams I had to give it a break. Now that I'm almost done with that, sky is my limit. I visited ETS site but have not check any of their stuff, though I have a hard copy of their guide and the Baron's you mentioned, I have not heard of it.

Jazaks.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2011 05:33 PM »

Hellooooooooooooo this is the Shukr thread, not the GRE preparation thread  lol madauntie

Tell us more good stuff kids!! It cheers me up pinkhijabisis
akhan
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2011 05:39 PM »

3-4 hours a day for a month is enough according to most people. I did much less than that so don't follow me Tongue

There is a lot of material available on the internet as well but, you can't always be sure of it. I strongly recommend that you get the ETS book so you can have a standard with which to compare other material. For example, the Barron's has solid geometry whereas the GRE never asks a question on that, ETS's book doesn't have even a single concept about solid geometry except for a few things on volumes of cylinders and cuboids. If I had relied only on Barron's then I would've wasted my time studying something irrelevant. That's what you should be careful about. On top of that, there's the difficulty level. If your material has things that are easier than what's required then you're doomed. And make sure all your material is for the revised test, there's still a lot of material on the older pattern that's being circulated. If you've any other questions PM me your email and we can take this conversation there. We've already spoiled sis Jannah's pet thread Grin
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2011 07:11 PM »

Thanks Sis Jannah for giving me a rep Smiley

More on my list of "Shukr"

Bought myself a really pretty dress today...Alhamdulillah for that

Had really sweet and tasty papaya and pomogranate fruit...Thank Allah for that

Had a hearty talk with a long lost friend..felt great!!

sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2011 09:10 AM »

Yeah I suppose we better do that b4 she starts unrepping or deleting ur post b4 I read it....lol

On the topic now...
Let me reiterate my shukr to Almighty for putting the people of the madina into my life. Very helpful and caring. May we be in the JANNAH all together..

austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2011 09:15 AM »

I am thankful that I finally get to do umrah this coming Saturday. It has been a while since I have gone.

If anyone wants me to make a dua for them or even just mention them in my dua's please just PM me or add onto this post.

akhan
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2011 09:45 AM »

I am thankful that I finally get to do umrah this coming Saturday. It has been a while since I have gone.

If anyone wants me to make a dua for them or even just mention them in my dua's please just PM me or add onto this post.

Meeeeee!!!
Like everybody knows now, the GRE went well so pray that the next steps to grad school also get cleared.
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2011 12:33 PM »

LOL ok akhan, since u were the first to ask ill make a dua for u first even before duas for myself Cheesy
akhan
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2011 12:48 PM »

LOL ok akhan, since u were the first to ask ill make a dua for u first even before duas for myself Cheesy
I don't mind being first or second, just make it. That's enough Smiley
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2011 01:04 PM »

salam

I've read somewhere, that a person who makes duas for others, the angels ask Allah to give the same to that person that they are asking for their brother/sister in Islam.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2011 05:15 PM »

As salaamu alaikum -

The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم  said, “The supplication of a Muslim for his brother in his absence will certainly be answered. Everytime he makes a supplication for good for his brother, the angel appointed for this particular task says: `Ameen! May it be for you, too’.” [Muslim].

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2011 05:20 PM »

ws,
  • - that i have 5 kinds of tea right now in the pantry chai
  • - free wi-fi at our local mosques!!
  • - that i can walk to the bank, supermarket, library, park
  • - that i have the greatest shaikh in the world here to learn from

these are from that awesomeness blog lol...

• - When you decide to go through the yellow light and the guy behind you goes too
  • - When you ask the people in front of you if they’re in line and they’re not
  • - When a human answers the phone
  • - Going really fast over speed bumps in the back of a school bus (My dad used to do this coming back from mosque there was a certain place where we'd fly!!)
  • - Homemade dishes at the potluck (I'll add desserts too!)
  • - When the meeting ends early (esp mosque meetings!)

lastly... one for akhan!!

• - Completely guessing the right answer on a multiple choice test

loveshower woohoo

akhan
Bro

« Reply #24 on: Oct 05, 2011 06:33 PM »

- Completely guessing the right answer on a multiple choice test

oye! I didn't guess, I'm just smart. Well, anyway, greatness does induce jealousy Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: