// LASIK
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LASIK  (Read 889 times)
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« on: Oct 11, 2011 10:33 PM »

Has anyone on this board had LASIK, or laser eye surgery done? Ive had glasses my whole life, and for the sake of rishta prospects my parents are getting laser done for my eyes so I wont have glasses anymore. Has anyone ALS done laser? If you have, could you let me know your thoughts? I have read and researched the procedure and potential risks and side effects, that's bot what I'm worried about...

I've had glasses since I was about 8, and I've always hated them, but now I can't imagine myself without them even if they do annoy me. I look so different without them, I'll really have to get used to it.

The worst part is, I feel like ... A sell out only doing this right before marriage, and I don't want to feel like I have to change myself drastically for someone ... I want them to like me regardless of glasses or not, and I want my decision to go aged with laser to be based on my needs/wants and not simply to be able to potentially impress guys and/or their families.

If anyone has had laser or even decided against it, please your thoughts would help me a lot!!!
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2011 02:57 AM »

wsalam,

why don't u try contacts first? make sure you're comfortable and everything with it. lasik does sound cool though, but don't you have to get it done every 10 years or something too?
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2011 03:21 AM »

All I heard was that people with more than 1 diopters(+/-) often need a second correction. And you can't rub your eyes too much otherwise you'll get wrinkles on the flap. I don't know what that means Grin but so I've heard from people who got it done.

for the sake of rishta prospects my parents are getting laser done for my eyes
The worst part is, I feel like ... A sell out only doing this right before marriage, and I don't want to feel like I have to change myself drastically for someone ... I want them to like me regardless of glasses or not, and I want my decision to go aged with laser to be based on my needs/wants and not simply to be able to potentially impress guys and/or their families.

Exactly why I don't like Indian culture. It's all about superficial stuff.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2011 11:39 AM »

salam

I know a person who has had it done she is delighted by it.

I would never get it done as the margin for error is far too high for my liking and also it's a relatively new treatment, I don't want to hit fifty and find my eysight severely affected due to the treatment I had.

You only have one set of eyes, consider it very carefully.

I've worn glasses pretty much since eight too, I wear daily disposable contacts as they're comfortable for me and I do not need to deal with the cleaning and all that.

I wear glasses on weekends, but I do tend to lose/scratch regularly drop my glasses. So contacts is definitely the better option for me.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JenBean71
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
JenBean71 has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2011 03:03 PM »

salam

Alhamdulilah for glasses - I had to start wearing them in Feb. I can see better. Contacts were irritating and the prescription couldn't be matched correctly so it was pointless to wear contacts. The relationship I have with my glasses is a love/hate one. It doesn't matter if I am perceived as defective or as vulnerable or whatever other stereotypes are out there.

I considered the surgery but decided against it for the same reasons you've mentioned, austmuslimaha. May Allah protect you from those who judge and consider the glasses as a blessing as they will ward off the brothers who would have a problem with your glasses.

Those extra 'rishtas' are the weakest links if glasses are a problem. sheesh - aim higher, sister! Hindsight 20/20!

The unity of all, perceptible to even bystanders, is the Oneness that inspired it, a sea without shores, subject me to this sea.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2011 04:47 PM »

Salaams -

Sis Austmuslimah - I'm sorry to hear about the reasoning behind the surgery in your case . . that's really unfortunate. I mean, if it was something you had wanted for sometime, then it would be cool, but just for marriage - UFF! I agree with akhan - such a negative idea that pervades our culture.

As for me, I've had glasses since I was 6 . . I did try contact lenses (first the hard ones, they weren't staying on properly, then the soft ones, but let's just say I had some issues, so decided to go back to glasses - though like you, they get on my nerves at times - just hate having something on my face, especially when people say I look better without them, though again, like you, it does feel weird.

I've had a family member that got LASIK and she is doing fine and then another family friend had it as well, and they are doing fine as well.

As far as the procedure, sometimes they do need to make small corrections down the road - sadly, I can't get it at this point, due to my eyeball's shape but it may be possible later . . .

Anyways, hope things work out for you either way.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2011 02:57 PM »

yea, contacts dont work for me, my eyes are too dry and they get irritated and itchy too easily.
ah well, lets see how things work out
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2011 12:21 PM »

unless you are super-gorgeous, lots of women look better in glasses, particularly if you have a big nose.

lol

i can't believe i am posting this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: