// Still Confused About Istakhara
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Say the truth even if it may be bitter. - Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still Confused About Istakhara  (Read 1095 times)
Chaajo
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Chaajo has no influence :(

« on: Oct 15, 2011 12:22 PM »

I got this from archive posts. Kinda long but very useful :
This is the way of istikhaarah. This is the way to get the message from Allah - and you can then plan accordingly. And proceed with tawakkal (trust) in Allah Ta’ala, for in this way your life will be filled with blessings. Rasoolullah used to do istikhaarah himself, and the Sahaabah also used to do it. How beautiful it is to have confidence in every step of your life.

Sometimes, often in respect of marriage, your parents try to force you to do something. You make istikhaarah and it gives different guidance from that of your parents - but they don’t want to listen. This is very harmful, for if a person goes against istikhaarah, having taken advice from Allah and knowing that it is right, then only loss can be expected to follow. I have witnessed such things. One person whom I knew some twenty years ago when I was a student, was a doctor and he wanted to come for further studies to London. His mother said make istikhaarah. I was about twenty five years old at the time. So he did istikhaarah and saw that it was not good for him to travel to London for further studies. He told his mother, but because they wanted to send him to London, they said it was alright for him to go - and the whole family persuaded him to go. So he bought the ticket for London. When the aeroplane came in to land at the airport it crashed, and himself and the other passengers inside the plane all died instantly. The relatives of the man knew that what they had done was wrong.

When you consult Allah, then there is no need to worry. Even if it appears bad, the result will be good. It increases the confidence of a person and removes doubts. Don’t listen to any other sources after you have sought guidance from Allah. We constantly have problems and decisions before us, and istikhaarah is the best way to resolve these matters. May Allah bless you and me, and I hope and pray that we follow the life of Nabi Kareem in every way. Istikhaarah was the habit of Rasoolullah, and he told us to do it when we have decisions to make in our lives. May Allah Ta’ala bless you and me. (Ameen)

I made once an istakhara because there was a college in another town ready to accept me and I wasn't sure about it until I made this istakhara. I felt good about it and everything went fine. Before I applied we had to go to the town itself to check if environment is suitable. When I got there, I really disliked it and didn't feel good about staying there so I changed my mind.
After few months we heard from the news that problems were starting to erupt in that area and the place became unsafe.
Then dad said I was lucky that I didn't apply and get there. And for me it was strange because the istakhara went fine...I guess. Or maybe I didn't perform the istakhara right? You just perform two rakaats (how do you say it?) at anytime. Is it mandatory to say a duaa after it?
And I don't know how you can really tell if you're positive with it or not.  Huh?
I know this topic has been opened many times in this forum but I think I don't understand it well still. Sad
By the way I rarely perform it. Sad Don't get me wrong please.

The secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment is — to live dangerously!
~ Friedrich Nietzsche ~
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2011 12:58 PM »

I think the way this worked, was that you went before hand to see how your college was going to shape up. By doing this, you saw that it wasnt right, so Allah guided you away from that college in that way.

I dont think by praying Istikharah, your feelings all of a sudden change, rather your mind is opened to the the right and wrong decision, and you are guided toward whats better for you in some way.

Dont ever lose hope, you may think that Istikharah didnt work, but that shouldnt stop you from praying to Allah for guidance.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2011 10:50 PM »

wsalam,

I don't think there's any *one* response to Istikharah. Like some ppl have dreams, some ppl have positive/negative feelings, for some ppl something "happens" and they discover the answer. And for some ppl they might feel their Istikhrah is guiding them one way and then later something bad happens and they can't understand why Allah guided them to that, but they might not realize it was an experience they needed to go through or that there is a hidden wisdom behind it.

In your cause it sounds like you prayed for guidance and you got it! And the format of the prayer is wudu -> 2 rakats -> praising Allah and the prophet -> the istikhrah dua

it's here if needed: http://jannah.org/sisters/istakhara.html
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2011 06:51 AM »

Don't know if this will help, but an article I recently read, by Jamaal Diwan (aka Mr. Muslema Purmul)  Smiley

http://www.jamaalandmuslema.com/blog/islamic-studies/understanding-al-istikharah/

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Chaajo
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2011 04:56 PM »

Oh thanks for more of your comments. Jazakum Allah khairokum!   Kiss And of course more comments would be much appreciated! Smiley
And of course thank you austmuslimah for your comment too! Smiley

The secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment is — to live dangerously!
~ Friedrich Nietzsche ~
saleem
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2011 04:28 PM »

AoA,
for me the guideline to follow is that one has to justify one's actions to an entity (i.e. God) that knows not only what and how we did something but also why. If we keep this in mind, we usually get the answer to what needs to be done. whether we can do so or not is another issue. if the action that seems to be suggested by this line of thought is not possible because of circumstances we can to the next best course of action using the same criteria.

In the absence of prophecy, i.e. a prophet, we cannot know with certainty that the "message" we are getting is "from God". this seems to be the sunni position i.e. we cannot claim divine sanction for our actions with certainty - what we have is our interpretation of the divine message. the Shi'a t Ali (I may be wrong), seem to claim some level of divine sanction for their clergy so their position may be different.
Chaajo
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2011 11:31 AM »

saleem your post was really interesting. Thanks!

I've got another question regarding Istakhara. Do you pray Istakhara only when you're stuck with decisions? Or Istakhara prayers can be done for other reasons? For example if you have an unsolved question(I don't mean some sort of maths problem) stuck in your mind and wish to find an answer to it, do you perform an Istakhara prayer as well to seek an answer to it?

~ Friedrich Nietzsche ~
Chaajo
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2011 01:50 PM »

Well?
No one can answer?

~ Friedrich Nietzsche ~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: