// All-American Muslim reality show airs November 2011 - Reviews
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Beware of extremism in religion, since those before you were only destroyed by extremism." - Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All-American Muslim reality show airs November 2011 - Reviews  (Read 9637 times)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2011 11:39 AM »

I missed the 3rd and 4th also. Seems like we're so busy Sunday evenings getting ready for the new week
thhat I forget it's on  Sad  Hopefully it will get posted somewhere and we can see it.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2011 05:22 PM »

Hey, I missed the first 10 min, but I watched it last night and I also watched it last week. Last night though, I missed the first the first 10 min or so. But from what I saw on Twitter, Nader said the adhan in his new baby's ear (hope that didn't ruin anything! Sorry). Again, I think the strong point, as has been for all the episodes, was Fordson Coach Zaban is one of the highlights and one of the low-lights, again, continues to be Nina and her club idea, and that comes to a bit of a head in the 4th episode. I think Nader is also one of the strong characters that we see, especially with the baby.

Also, there was a emotional moment towards the end of the episode and so people began tweeting the person (several of those featured on teh show are on Twitter) including myself to support her and yup, we got replies!

Also, there was one nice scene with all the guys sitting and talking - but in special setting, so I won't say anything more about that until you see the episode.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2011 08:36 PM »

ws,

Found episode 4?.. http://eztvstream.com/all-american-muslim/all-american-muslim-season-1-episode-4-friday-night-bites

... don't click on any popups!! and ignore those ugly pictures of naked ppl on the sides!!

So far this show has covered so many issues in our community, marrying converts/non-Muslims, practicing vs non practicing muslims, hijab & women's clothes, babies, culture and tradition vs religion, fasting, ramadan, drinking, being single, getting married. I'm beginning to think it is representative of our entire community as a whole. Maybe not the practicing, mosque-going muslims, but definitely brings up issues we should be discussing...

In this episode: The baby's birth was so touching! I also loved how the team fasted even tho they lost really bad. But the story that really touched me was Suehaylas!! Everything she said is how every single Muslim girl feels. That girl is so awesome. Duas for her.

K the end.

rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2011 09:12 PM »

The only thing that bothers me about this show is how everyone tells Nina how "a woman shouldn't open a club"!  It should be "a Muslim shouldn't open a club".  Even  her supposedly very religious mother tells her " a woman shouldn't open a club"....I guess in her eyes it's ok for a Muslim guy to open a club... Huh?
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2011 03:54 AM »

sis jannah, the player on that link isn't working and there aren't any popups or naked pictures either Tongue
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2011 08:34 AM »

Link to 3rd episode http://www.videozer.com/video/CDMQVsd

Didn't like this episode as much... I think it's probably more a transitional episode. I didn't like how they were bullying Jeff so much about being a perfect Muslim. I mean give the guy a break he just converted like yesterday! And I didn't like that we didn't see any of the inside the whitehouse stuff boo. couldn't they let one camera in at least? but seriously this show is doing some serious dawah. but i heard the ratings aren't doing so well Sad hope they pick up soon...
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2011 09:08 AM »

I still have to watch the whole episode, but the coach's wife had me  rotfl  "Did they say you can bring your wife with you?" Typical woman  Grin  However, I think that family is the best among all the others.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2011 01:59 AM »

Wowww I can't believe this. Would they start sending hate letters if there was a show on African Americans or Chinese Americans. Islamophobes hate seeing regular Muslims on TV.
=====================

Companies pull ads from Muslim reality TV show
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/companies-pull-ads-from-muslim-reality-tv-show/2011/12/09/gIQANywmiO_story.html?socialreader_check=0&denied=1

By Omar Sacirbey| Religion News Service, Updated: Friday, December 9, 4:28 PM

Lowe’s, the national hardware chain, has pulled commercials from future episodes of “All-American Muslim,” a TLC reality-TV show, after protests by Christian groups.

The Florida Family Association, a Tampa Bay group, has led a campaign urging companies to pull ads on “All-American Muslim.” The FFA contends that 65 of 67 companies it has targeted have pulled their ads, including Bank of America, the Campbell Soup Co., Dell, Estee Lauder, General Motors, Goodyear, Green Mountain Coffee, McDonalds, Sears, and Wal-Mart.

“’All-American Muslim’ is propaganda clearly designed to counter legitimate and present-day concerns about many Muslims who are advancing Islamic fundamentalism and Sharia law,” the Florida group asserts in a letter it asks members to send to TLC advertisers.

“The show profiles only Muslims that appear to be ordinary folks while excluding many Islamic believers whose agenda poses a clear and present danger to the liberties and traditional values that the majority of Americans cherish,” the FFA’s letter continues.

It was not clear whether the companies cited by the Florida Family Association, which has also targeted shows like MTV’s “Degrassi,” stopped advertising on “All-American Muslim” because of pressure or for other reasons.

Emails from Home Depot and Sweet’N Low posted on the Florida Family Association’s website suggest the companies had simply bought one commercial spot, and didn’t cancel any commercials.

A spokeswoman for Amway, also cited by the Florida group, denied the company pulled advertising from “All-American Muslim,” and said those reports were “misleading” and “falsely named” Amway.

Lowe’s acknowledged pulling commercials from “All-American Muslim” following consumer complaints, but denied they came from one group.

“We understand the program raised concerns, complaints, or issues from multiple sides of the viewer spectrum, which we found after doing research of news articles and blogs covering the show,” said Katie Cody, a Lowe’s spokeswoman.

Cody declined to specify whether the complaints were anti-Muslim, and whether Lowe’s advertises on shows with Christian, Jewish, or other religious characters or themes. “It is certainly never Lowe’s intent to alienate anyone,” Cody said.

“Shame on Lowe’s, and shame on every one of these companies if they really did cave in to such bigotry and hatred,” wrote Sheila Musaji, who blogs at theamericanmuslim.org. If the Florida Family Association and other reports are misrepresenting these companies, she added, “then they need to speak up.”

The first of eight weekly episodes of “All-American Muslim,” which follows five Lebanese families in Dearborn, Mich., premiered on Nov. 13.

A TLC spokeswoman, Laurie Goldberg, said the network could not comment about the alleged advertising defections, but that the show maintained “strong” advertising. “There are no plans to pull the show. The show is going to continue as planned,” said Goldberg.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2011 02:21 AM »

Here's a letter one of my friend received back. Man no real reason, except they just plain racist. I'll be sure never to go there again.

Thank you for making us aware of your concerns.

We did pull our advertising on this show, however we did not pull our advertisements based solely on the complaints or emails of any one particular group. In an effort to be objective, and on a case-by-case basis, we will pull our advertising on shows if we learn there are issues raised from a broad spectrum of customers and viewers who represent multiple perspectives, which Lowe’s understands was the case in this situation with this particular show.

We understand the program raised concerns, complaints, or issues from multiple sides of the viewer spectrum, which we found after doing research of news articles and blogs covering the show. We based our decision to pull the advertising on this research and after hearing the concerns we received through emails, calls, through social media and in news reports.

It is certainly never Lowe’s intent to alienate anyone. Lowe’s values diversity of thought in everyone, including our employees and prospective customers.

Thank you,

Andy
Lowe's Executive Support
akhan
Bro

« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2011 01:26 PM »

This show airs on TLC?Huh?  Huh?
We have TLC here  Roll Eyes
akhan
Bro

« Reply #35 on: Dec 10, 2011 01:35 PM »

okkaaaayyyy...so Indian TLC is different from the American TLC what
pearl
Sis

pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2011 07:51 PM »

(W)e will pull our advertising on shows if we learn there are issues raised from a broad spectrum of customers and viewers who represent multiple perspectives, which Lowe’s understands was the case in this situation with this particular show.

We understand the program raised concerns, complaints, or issues from multiple sides of the viewer spectrum, which we found after doing research of news articles and blogs covering the show. We based our decision to pull the advertising on this research and after hearing the concerns we received through emails, calls, through social media and in news reports.

What a bunch baloney.  What legitimate "concerns, complaints, or issues" were raised? That All American Muslim is a stealth jihad aimed at destroying the American way of life?  Really?

By "multiple sides of the viewer spectrum"  do they mean the full spectrum ranging from "Florida Family Association" to "Atlas Shrugs" to "Jihad Watch"?

Disgusting.  I'm not sure if the other sponsors listed ever actually pulled their ads or why. Perhaps the viewership wasn't high enough.  However, since Lowe's has confirmed that AAM violates their standards in some type of unspeakable way, I've already emailed them to let them know that spending $$$ at Lowe's violates MY standards.  Angry
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2011 12:40 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Here's another article on Lowes pulling advert and a possible boycott.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Calif. senator threatens boycott over Lowe's ads
By CHRISTOPHER WEBER | AP - 1 hour 8 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A state senator from Southern California was considering calling for a boycott of Lowe's stores after the home improvement chain pulled its advertising from a reality show about Muslim-Americans.

Calling the retail giant's decision "un-American" and "naked religious bigotry," Sen. Ted Lieu, D-Torrance, told The Associated Press on Sunday that he would also consider legislative action if Lowe's doesn't apologize to Muslims and reinstate its ads. The senator sent a letter outlining his complaints to Lowe's Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Niblock.

The retail giant stopped advertising on TLC's "All-American Muslim" after a group called the Florida Family Association complained the show was "propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda's clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values."

The program premiered last month and chronicles the lives of five families from Dearborn, Mich., a Detroit suburb with a large Muslim and Arab-American population.

"The show is about what it's like to be a Muslim in America, and it touches on the discrimination they sometimes face. And that kind of discrimination is exactly what's happening here with Lowe's," Lieu said.

The Florida group sent three emails to its members, asking them to petition Lowe's to pull its advertising. Its website was updated to say that "supporters' emails to advertisers make a difference."

Suehaila Amen, whose family is featured on "All-American Muslim," said she was disappointed by the Lowe's decision.

"I'm saddened that any place of business would succumb to bigots and people trying to perpetuate their negative views on an entire community," Amen, 32, told The Detroit News on Sunday.

Lowe's issued a statement Sunday apologizing for having "managed to make some people very unhappy." The North Carolina-based company did not say whether it would reinstate advertising on the show.

The apology doesn't go far enough, Lieu said. The senator vowed to look into whether Lowe's violated any California laws and said he would also consider drafting a senate resolution condemning the company's actions.

"We want to raise awareness so that consumers will know during this holiday shopping season that Lowe's is engaging in religious discrimination," he said.

In addition to an apology and reinstatement of the ads, Lieu said he hoped Lowe's would make an outreach to the community about bias and bigotry.

A call to Lowe's headquarters seeking comment about the boycott threat was not immediately returned Sunday.

"Individuals and groups have strong political and societal views on this topic, and this program became a lightning rod for many of those views," the company's statement said. "As a result we did pull our advertising on this program. We believe it is best to respectfully defer to communities, individuals and groups to discuss and consider such issues of importance."

Lieu's office said a decision was expected Wednesday or Thursday on whether to proceed with the boycott.

Dawud Walid, Michigan director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said his group felt "extreme disappointment" at Lowe's "capitulation to bigotry."

Walid said he has heard expressions of anger and calls for a boycott by Muslims but said a key to resolving the Lowe's advertising controversy will be how non-Muslim religious leaders and others react to Lowe's decision.

"I will be picking up the phone tomorrow to some of our friends and allies to explain the situation to them," Walid said Sunday.

__

AP reporter David N. Goodman in Detroit contributed to this story.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_europe/calif-senator-threatens-boycott-over-lowes-ads-214740811.html?orig_host_hdr=uk.news.yahoo.com&.intl=gb&.lang=en-gb

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2011 08:03 AM »

salam,

That AP article will be in every paper in the country tomorrow. We'll see what happens after. I think it is actually very important that we take a stand here. With the NYC Mosque issue people's feelings were clouded with all the emotion of 9/11 even though that was total bigotry as well. But here this is just plain ridiculous. A show about ordinary Muslims and a company withdraws their ads because of that?! Where's the outrage over this? What if a company had withdrawn it's ads from the Cosby show because some conservative group was offended by them showing ordinary African Americans on TV.

It's really sad to see such vitriol in a country that claims religious tolerance and freedom.
rahma
Sis

rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2011 02:07 PM »

Hey, I missed last night's episode and I can't find it anywhere on line...

And TLC isn't re-airing it this week.

Can anybody find the new episode online...?

Sad
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2011 05:50 PM »

Hey all -

Yeah, this advertisement issues has just gotten out of control - Lowes isn't the only company from what I've read elsewhere - Bank of Ameria is also included, but either way, this is just outright bigorty and more right-wing fear-mongering. I mean, these people think the show is trying to cover up the "true" American Islam that is more "radical" etc.

I hope when more people see that AP article, that more people realize action needs to be taken. It seems that already many both within the Muslim and non-Muslim community have done a lot - by saying they will not shop at Lowes anymore and I saw one tweet that said one company withdrew a large order from them, so there is a lot of support for the show and of course, the larger issue of discrimination/bigotry, due to that Florida group.

Even some notably figures, such as Mia Farrow and Kimora Lee have sent out the message that they will not stand for this and support the show.

While I was tweeting during last night's show, I got one reply from some guy who says he has researched Islamic Law and said something about "how can you call people afraid of Sharia Law in the Us bigotry" and then proceeded to say something hurtful about the Prophet, which I will not repeat here. I didn't reply of course, because as I could see, some brothers who did respond to him just got stuck in an argument and, that serves no purpose, especially, when we are not qualified to answer certain things and that guy was just putting those brothers down even more. That is what they want, for you to respond, so they can just further insult us, etc

Anyways, as for the show, it was just ok yesterday, but it turns out the Jeff is a pretty good guy, a keeper as Br. Dawud Walid tweeted out, as he made a sacrifice for Shadia, as things were getting emotionally tense as they started their marriage off....and well Nina made herself look really clueless about our faith and I'm sure you ladies can guess what this was in reference to, but I'll let you watch and find out....

BABA
 desibro

PS Hope you all know about the online petition: http://signon.org/sign/defend-our-american-values?source=s.tw&r_by=1780015

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2011 11:45 PM »

This just in from twitter!!

Russell Simmons bought ALL of the remaining advertising spots on All American Muslim!

DANG that guy is seriously amazing. May God reward him greatly!!

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2011 11:52 PM »

Yes I saw that too! One awesome dude!

BABA
 desibro

pearl
Sis

pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #43 on: Dec 13, 2011 01:19 AM »

Salaam, WestCoastBaba --

You're right; there are other sponsors that have dropped (or allegedly dropped) their sponsorship of AAM.  However, Lowe's is the only sponsor that has indicated that they pulled their ads because they were "troubled" about the content of the show.  Their email to Florida Family Association indicates that FFA alerted them to the nefarious goings on of these Dearborn Muslims and that they were grateful to FFA for the information.

So, IMO, that's why Lowe's is so deserving of the bad publicity this has gotten them.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #44 on: Dec 13, 2011 05:01 AM »

Wa alaikum as salaam Sr. pearl -

I completely agree with you of course, didn't mean to take away from the bigotry of Lowes.

I completely agree and support the backlast against Lowes and have thus signed the petition.

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #45 on: Dec 13, 2011 06:49 AM »

Is it wrong to find this funny?

----------------------------------

Anonymous punishes Florida Family Association for promoting bigotry, hatred
Michael Stone, National Anonymous Examiner
Posted:  12/12/2011 4:55 PM

Home

The Florida Family Association, a conservative Christian group, is being punished by the international Internet hacktivist collective known as Anonymous after pressuring Lowe’s and 65 other companies into pulling advertisements from a television program about American Muslims.

On Monday, a hacktivist identified as ih@zcAnNONz and working under the flag of Anonymous and LulzSec issued a Pastebin release with email and IP addresses of Florida Family Association members receiving newsletters, as well as a sample of members credit card information offered as proof of the hack. In addition, on Monday afternoon the Florida Family Association website was not available for some time, presumably it was the victim of a DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack conducted by sympathetic Anonymous enthusiasts. The following is an excerpt from that Anonymous Pastebin release : Florida Family Association...

Your hatred, bigotry and fear mongering towards Gays, Lesbians and most recently
Muslim Americans has not gone unnoticed!
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #46 on: Dec 13, 2011 06:57 AM »

That was awesome and yes, funny!

Blessedgrandma
Sis

Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2011 08:57 AM »

I missed the 3rd one and  last nights Sad can anyone find a link where I can watch either of them? Sad
rahma
Sis

« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2011 07:44 PM »

Yeah, BG, I missed the last episode, too...
Can't find it anywhere...
 Sad
rahma
Sis

« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2011 10:34 PM »

Here's a great youtube video in response to Lowe's:

Chris Murphy to Lowe's: You're Better Than This

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: