// All-American Muslim reality show airs November 2011 - Reviews
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: When in doubt, tell the truth. - Mark Twain
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All-American Muslim reality show airs November 2011 - Reviews  (Read 9673 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #50 on: Dec 14, 2011 04:41 AM »

Salam,

Episode 3 here: AAMep3.avi - 349.88MB

Episode 4 here: AAMep4.avi - 349.76MB

And this article by Dr. Ingrid Mattson about Muslims and Dogs should be read by everyone too after watching episode 5!! Especially Blessedgrandma and the turkish bro who breeds kangals??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ingrid-mattson/whats-up-with-muslims-and_b_1144819.html
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2011 04:17 PM »

I read the article by Ingrid Mattson.  Nice...
However at the bottom of the article were links to other articles and one of them was "Muhammad and Dogs".
(you can take out the link if you want)
A rather unpleasant article stating among other things that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said to kill all dogs.
He carried on a rather long argument, but the conclusion was that Muslims have to kill all dogs "...or admit that Muhammad was wrong and was a wacko." (Astaghfurlillah, his words not mine).  
My question is:  how do you respond to someone like that? Huh?
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2011 04:30 PM »

that website is an anti islam missionary site. they always post garbage. i would totally ignore it if i were you.

i'd respond with ingrid mattson's article. the problem with those people is that they will take whatever they want out of context to "prove" their hate about islam. they will fight with you and tell you what "islam is"!!! ahhh the irony  madauntie
rahma
Sis

rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #53 on: Dec 14, 2011 06:08 PM »

And then there's this:

http://gawker.com/5867902/jon-stewart-on-tlcs-disappointingly-terror+free-all-american-muslim
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #54 on: Dec 15, 2011 06:02 AM »

Angry consumers writing and calling companies because of this show.  Sad
I fear with lack of advertizers this show may be short lived. Maybe the Muslim community, we all can email and contact these companies (Lowe's, etc) and let them know we're their customers too and we don't appreciate their
being swayed by bigot.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/another-company-pulls-advertising-tlc-american-muslim-181908989.html

Another company pulls advertising from TLC’s ‘All-American Muslim’

On the heels of a controversial decision by Lowe's Home Improvement to pull its advertising from TLC's "All-American Muslim" following protests from a conservative group, another company has decided to do the same--though it claims it was not because of the backlash.

In a letter of apology to customers, an executive at Kayak.com, the online travel site, explained the decision to stop advertising on the new reality show.

"When we decided to give our money to TLC for this program, we deemed the show a worthy topic," Robert Birge, Kayak's chief marketing officer, wrote in the letter posted on the site. "When we received angry emails regarding our decision to advertise, I looked into the show more thoroughly."

Birge continued:

The first thing I discovered was that TLC was not upfront with us about the nature of this show. As I said, it's a worthy topic, but any reasonable person would know that this topic is a particular lightning rod. We believe TLC went out of their way to pick a fight on this, and they didn't let us know their intentions. That's not a business practice that generally gets repeat business from us. I also believe that it did this subject a grave disservice. Sadly, TLC is now enjoying the attention from this controversy.

Birge said he received bulk emails from members of the Florida Family Association, which last month launched an online campaign to pressure marketers, like Lowes, to pull their advertising from the program.

"TLC's 'All-American Muslim' is propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda's clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values," the group wrote. "The show profiles only Muslims that appear to be ordinary folks while excluding many Islamic believers whose agenda poses a clear and present danger to the liberties and traditional values that the majority of Americans cherish."

The group said 65 advertisers targeted by the campaign agreed to pull their ads from the show. (However, a spokeswoman for TLC told THR that there remains "strong advertising support for the show." )

"The amount of vitriol in the emails was saddening, but I didn't exactly feel pressured," Birge wrote, "not to mention we wouldn't bend to such pressure."

The Lowe's decision to pull its ads sparked a backlash from Muslim groups and supporters of the show. The company apologized on Facebook, which led to an avalanche of vitriolic comments. (Ted Lieu, a state senator from California,  told the Associated Press that he would help initiate a boycott if Lowe's did not apologize.)

Birge admitted that the "decision comes across as bending to bigotry," and "it also appears that we did not support people who deserve support as people and as Americans."

"For that," he wrote, "I am profoundly sorry."

Birge added: "Mostly, I just thought the show sucked. Based on our dealings with TLC and the simple assessment of the show, I decided we should put our money elsewhere. Apologies again."
pearl
Sis

pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2011 12:34 AM »

As salaamu alaikum --

Kayak's CEO has blogged an apology as a follow up to his Chief Marketing Officer's "explanation" for pulling its ads for AAM.  The update was made December 15, but check out the December 14 entry (at the bottom).

It proves that sometimes it's better to just say nothing.  Lips Sealed

http://www.kayak.com/news/we-handled-this-poorly.bd.html

We Handled This Poorly (Updated Dec 15)
Update December 15 by Steve Hafner, CEO and Cofounder

This is actually my first blog post ever. Frankly, I wish it was on a different topic.

I want to respond to the questions and comments we've been receiving about KAYAK's advertising on the TLC show "All-American Muslim".

We're a small company with fewer than 200 employees, and we advertise on a lot of TV shows. We don't have the resources to vet the content of each show. We also continually adjust our media mix - meaning we start, stop, and restart advertising on specific shows periodically.

Our decision regarding advertising on All-American Muslim was in no way influenced by demands from third parties such as the FFA. We do try to avoid advertising on shows that may produce controversy, whether we support the content or not. We simply don't want people to confuse our choice of where we spend our TV dollars with a political or moral agenda. Plus there are plenty of shows that are just as effective from a marketing perspective.

We're not bigots, and we're not experts in TV programming. We are trying to make the world's best travel site. I hope this blog post puts this issue to rest and allows us to get back to work.

Please enjoy the holiday season.

Steve Hafner

---------

Original post December 14

We would like to apologize to anyone who was offended by how we handled our decision not to continue advertising on All-American Muslim when it returns in January. We decided to advertise on it in the first place because we adamantly support tolerance and diversity. Our 150-person team includes people from all over the world, and from all walks of life. Our team includes people who are descended from early Europeans who came here escaping religious intolerance, and newer Americans who include many religions. We get what America is about.

For the record, we didn't "pull" our ads. Our ads kept running on this program, but we have made the decision not to give TLC more money when the show returns in January.

Unfortunately, this decision comes across as bending to bigotry. It also appears that we did not support people who deserve support as people and as Americans. For that, I am profoundly sorry.

I should have communicated more clearly. We would not want anyone to think that we caved to hatred. I wish I could share some of the emails I've received from our team. They are also very unhappy with how I handled this.

Please allow me to explain the decision. First, our approach to advertising decisions is to choose advertising based on who watches it, not the political leaning of the program.

When we decided to give our money to TLC for this program, we deemed the show a worthy topic. When we received angry emails regarding our decision to advertise, I looked into the show more thoroughly.

The first thing I discovered was that TLC was not upfront with us about the nature of this show. As I said, it's a worthy topic, but any reasonable person would know that this topic is a particular lightning rod. We believe TLC went out of their way to pick a fight on this, and they didn't let us know their intentions. That's not a business practice that generally gets repeat business from us. I also believe that it did this subject a grave disservice. Sadly, TLC is now enjoying the attention from this controversy.

I then checked the Florida Family Association website to see how this was portrayed. Besides the regrettable hatred, I also noticed that we weren't listed. The email was a template, so people who sent thousands of emails seemed to be unaware they were sending it to us. The amount of vitriol in the emails was saddening, but I didn't exactly feel pressured (not to mention we wouldn't bend to such pressure). Many of the emails I've received expressing disappointment in our decision have been much more civil, and I applaud you for that.

Lastly, I watched the first two episodes. Mostly, I just thought the show sucked.

Based on our dealings with TLC and the simple assessment of the show, I decided we should put our money elsewhere. Apologies again.

- Robert Birge, KAYAK Chief Marketing Officer
pearl
Sis

« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2011 12:47 AM »

A follow-up on Kayak's executive meltdown from LoonWatch.com:

http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/12/all-american-muslim-kayak-executive-robert-birge-issues-worlds-worst-apology-ever/ 
rahma
Sis

« Reply #57 on: Dec 16, 2011 01:21 AM »

Thanks, Sis Pearl!  I just posted that on Facebook.  Pass it around...
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #58 on: Dec 17, 2011 08:38 PM »

wsalam,

I can't believe what idiots some ppl are  Angry That kayak guy is completely unprofessional and I don't care if he's saying "OH we're not racist, we just think the show sucks." Actions are louder than words and pulling out because of the Florida Association's letters is pretty obvious. Am about to buy my Dad's tickets and definitely will not be using kayak. Also heard a guy went back and returned $3k worth of stuff he bought at Lowes. Good for him! We need to start being smart with our money/support and not give it to racist jerks.

Anyhoo... now the parodies......... (U'll recognize some of the guys from Outsourced)

Un-Aired LOWE'S Commercial for "All-American Muslim"
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #59 on: Dec 18, 2011 05:28 AM »

Saw that letter from Kayak!! What an idiot!

Hhahaha, saw that video the other day - HILARIOUS!!!

Isn't the driver from the film American Desi?

Is the chubby guy the one from Outsourced?

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
moderatesufi
« Reply #60 on: Dec 18, 2011 01:44 PM »

So who is boycotting Lowes?
Or are boycotts bidah?
Or are only boycotts against Israel Bidah?
pearl
Sis

« Reply #61 on: Dec 18, 2011 03:27 PM »

Well, I won't be shopping at Lowe's.  Realistically, I know that the lack of my few dollars will make no difference to their bottom line.  But, it's the principle of it all.

Over the weekend there were protests outside Lowe's in Michigan and Paterson, New Jersey. There were probably others, but those were the ones I heard about.
moderatesufi
« Reply #62 on: Dec 18, 2011 03:45 PM »

The thing is, it isn't just a few dollars if everyone does it.
Just a few dollars X Every Muslim in America = A lot of Money!
Another factor to add to this equation is Ribba being Harram and American Muslims being on average wealthier.
This means Muslims in America invest their money in real estate more than average which often involves buying run down old property, doing them up using products from stores such as Lowes and either selling them on or renting them out.

Muslims don't seem to understand the effectiveness of boycotts, and assume that a few dollars will have little effect.
They need to start adding our vast numbers in to the equation.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #63 on: Dec 19, 2011 08:13 AM »

Episode 5 here: http://tubeplus.me/player/1968869/All-American_Muslim/season_1/episode_5/Muslims_Moving_On/

Was sad for Jeff giving up his dog. Don't think anyone who doesn't have pets would understand this. As for Nawal I think she should have stayed with her Mom the first 40 days. Maybe there's a reason there's that cultural tradition!!
And Suhaila is totally living my life. Sigh. She says some guys say they're intimidated by her, and also that she's too "religious" for some and not "religious" enough for others! She also doesn't want to leave home and move somewhere else to live alone even though it would bring her more opportunities. Yeah. The Coach's family I thought were really cute. He seems like a typical Muslim dad. And I felt bad for the other family with the Mom that had to go to work with all the kids she had. Must be really difficult.

So many regular issues every american family goes through. Just makes me upset that Lowe's and Kayak would take away their funding over a show about normal everyday issues and people. So ridiculously racist. Plain and simple.

Someone suggested that they continue the franchise, like next year they could profile Desis in New York City, African American Muslims in Atlanta or a convert community in Cali.... maybe they could even one day go to Britain and do a All-British-Muslim Wink I wish someone would do it I'd definitely watch!!

K ws

WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #64 on: Dec 19, 2011 04:36 PM »

Watched Episode 6 last night.

It is the end of the Ramadan in this episode, so we see some E'id related things, so that was cool.

There was a new development with Jeff and Shadia, so you'll want to see that.

As you might have seen from the preview after Episode 5, there is something that happens in the community that affects everyone, even club girl Nina. And again we see, Sr. Suheila shines - haha Sis J, yeah, she is doing what I think you would love to be doing, as you say, just being out there in the community and making things happen, etc
So this is the first episode where we see something quite moving/sad and get to see how everyone reacts - gave another chance to gain insight into everyone's character/viewpoint/emotions.

One thing that I do during every show, is that I watch my Twitter and yes, I tweet comments now and then, but mostly I watch what Sr. Linda Sarsour tweets and as well as Dawud Walid, as their commentary is awesome. (If you all don't know Linda Sarsour, you need to Google her, she amazing! And I've also connected on Twitter with her younger Sis, who is amazing in her own right)

Shadia actually retweeted/forwarded two of my tweets about the show to her followers and then just towards, including one about how I thought Sr. Suheila was just so elegant and awesome, so a boit later, Samira then tweeted to me (Suheila's sister) saying "Isn't she amazing! Love my sister! and I replied back in the affirmative and then about 30 min after the show ended, Suheila herself said thank you and even put a little one of these <3 at the end of her message. When she had cried at the end of the previous episode, a lot of people sent her supportive messages, so she had tweeted thanks back at that point also.

Just to add, last week, my Amma watched a bit with me and she actually thought it wasn't a very good show, but I think reality TV is such a medium that one can't compare it to "regular shows" though I wonder, is reality TV scripted to a certain extent? (i guess it is obvious how fake the Kardashians would be, as now ex-Mr. Kim K was saying about how after Kim K lost her ring in the ocean, it was "miraculously found" after Kim K gave him a bit of a sinister smile regarding - NO, didn't watch it, but read about it on Huff Post, lol). Any thoughts on that?

Oh and the next episode is on New Year's day, so two-week break and that episode will be interesting, intense and sensitive, as it is the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #65 on: Jan 04, 2012 07:12 AM »

Just watched Episode 7 http://www.videobb.com/watch_video.php?v=ccW2NMpeqnak

They covered the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

What an amazing episode. That was a real tour de force...

They needed to make this the first episode i think. I think people's perceptions of the show would have been really different because 9/11 is the first thing people think about when they think of Muslims.

What a great episode.

seriously it just shows again how racist lowes and kayak and whatever organizations and people are against this show, because it was showing how we are together as one nation and whatever religion.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #66 on: Jan 04, 2012 07:41 AM »

I watched it too...

yup intense and emotional.

Interesting, yeah, that would have been something for the first episode

I could have done without the tattoo stuff though....

BABA
 desibro

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #67 on: Jan 04, 2012 10:21 AM »

sis J, that link to ep 7 works..does it have 3, 4, 5 and 6 on it?
moderatesufi
« Reply #68 on: Jan 04, 2012 10:43 AM »

Someone suggested that they continue the franchise, like next year they could profile Desis in New York City, African American Muslims in Atlanta or a convert community in Cali.... maybe they could even one day go to Britain and do a All-British-Muslim Wink I wish someone would do it I'd definitely watch!!

You do know my views are typical in the UK?
If anything, here I considered a moderate.
I didn't think you would be interested in a British version?
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #69 on: Jan 04, 2012 03:19 PM »

seriously it just shows again how racist lowes and kayak and whatever organizations and people are against this show, because it was showing how we are together as one nation and whatever religion.

This exactly!!

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #70 on: Jan 05, 2012 02:37 AM »

I could have done without the tattoo stuff though....

BABA
 desibro

I could of done without seeing that brother with his shirt off  Sad
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #71 on: Jan 05, 2012 02:58 AM »

LOL, yeah I was actually thinking the same Blessedgramdma, but didn't want to say it! Was hoping it was implied by my comment.

we docs call that pseudogynecomastia - excessive fat deposition in the chest area in men.

BABA
 desibro

moderatesufi
« Reply #72 on: Jan 05, 2012 12:30 PM »

Never saw it, but someone really needs to tell him that tattoos are Harram. And While they are at it, maybe they should also tell him, he really shouldn't be hiring war criminals to do it?
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #73 on: Jan 06, 2012 01:14 AM »

In case anyone is interested I found a petition to Lowe's in refer them pulling their advertizing.
They have 27,750 of 35,000 hopeful signatures, I'd love to see about 100,000 signatures, maybe you can all copy and paste it to other sites and groups you belong to. I really like this change.org site.
I have particupated in 3 petitions so far and 2 or the 3 made such an impact that bothh those companies changed their
policies.

http://www.change.org/petitions/lowes-home-improvement-apologize-and-reinstate-advertisements-on-tlcs-all-american-muslim

Why This Is Important

Just last week, mega retailers Lowe’s Home Improvement decided to pull their advertising spots from TLC’s newest show, “All American Muslim,” an eight part reality t.v. series which follows the lives of five Muslim American families in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, Michigan.

After advertising on the first episode, Lowe’s began to hear criticisms from conservative Christian group, Florida Family Association. The Association had urged its members to call Lowe’s and complain that “TLC’s ‘All American Muslim’ is propaganda clearly designed to counter legitimate and present-day concerns about many Muslims who are advancing Islamic fundamentalism and Sharia law. The show profiles only Muslims that appear to be ordinary folks while excluding many Islamic believers whose agenda poses a clear and present danger to liberties and traditional values that the majority of Americans cherish. Clearly this program is attempting to manipulate Americans into ignoring the threat of jihad and to influence them to believe that being concerned about the jihad threat would somehow victimize these nice people in this show.”

While Lowe’s certainly cannot be held responsible for these ignorant and bigoted views, their decision to cater to and uphold these views is incredibly disappointing and offensive. Lowe’s response to pulling the ads was, “Lowe's has received a significant amount of communication on this program, from every perspective possible. Individuals and groups have strong political and societal views on this topic, and this program became a lightning rod for many of those views. As a result we did pull our advertising on this program. We believe it is best to respectfully defer to communities, individuals and groups to discuss and consider such issues of importance.”

Although Lowe’s claims that they are refraining from the public debate, their decision to pull advertising from “All American Muslim” is making a clear statement. We will not remain silent and “refrain the the discussion”. As American- Muslim women, we find Lowe’s decision to pull their advertising very offensive and ignorant. How can we begin to combat outdated and marginalized views of Muslim Americans when a giant mega retailer like Lowe’s does not have the decency to stand up to racists views? We are calling on Lowe’s Home Improvement to publicly apologize for its decision to pull advertising from TLC’s “All American Muslim.”

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #74 on: Jan 09, 2012 08:08 AM »

Watched the final episode - It was nice, though again, "club girl" as she's been dubbed (Nina) still not making herself look good....I think the Aoudes are just an adorlabe couple and their son is so cute! Suheila Amen is just one cool sista' and I hope she gets what she is looking for in life - outside of Dearborn insha'allah.

Anyways, not really sure there will be another series - saw somewhere that it was a failure for TLC ratings-wise.

Felt close to them in a way (well, I guess if they are on TV and you can relate to them to some degree compared to others on American TV) and of course, interaction on Twitter did help.

If there is another season, it should be DESIS!!!

BABA
 desibro

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: