// Downton Abbey Fans!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Knowledge raises the low, but ignorance brings down the mighty. -Ali (RA)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downton Abbey Fans!  (Read 11485 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Oct 05, 2010 05:33 PM »

Anyone watching Downton Abbey? It's an "ITV drama set in the Edwardian Age". I watched the first two episodes and really liked it. Seems to be focused on the two levels of society, the gentry and all the ppl who worked below stairs, the servants. Starts off with the two heirs drowning in the Titanic which causes a huge inheritance controversy. As usual 3 daughters are forced to find someone to marry them!! (The only thing I didn't like is the gay footman storyline which seems way too modern a thread to throw in there!) But so far seems interesting...

Downton Abbey
Starring: Maggie Smith & Hugh Bonneville
Written and created by Oscar winning writer
Julian Fellowes

Set in an Edwardian country house in 1912, the series will portray the lives of the Crawley family and the servants who work for them.

Filmed on location at Highclere Castle

7 episodes

Downton is the home of the Crawleys, who have been the Earls of Grantham since 1772. In the drawing rooms and library and beautiful bedrooms, with their tall windows looking across the park, lives the family, but below stairs are other residents, the servants, as fiercely possessive of their ranks as anyone above. Some of them are loyal to the family and are committed to Downton as a way of life, others are moving through, on the look out for new opportunities or love or just adventure. The difference being that they know so many of the secrets of the family, while the family knows so few of theirs.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2011 07:19 AM »

Can't believe we don't have a thread on Downton Abbey!!! Wasn't the first season so great! What an awesome show. Have to admit I'm more like Mary than I care to admit. But absolutely love love Anna and hope she gets her happy ending one day.

And just watched the first episode of season 2 now when they're thrust into the first world war... wow it was cry cry cry dame maggie smith one liner laugh cry cry cry.... amazing... definitely need a bebzi now... bebzi
Nafs
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2011 10:51 PM »

Where can one watch downton abbey  Embarrassed
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2011 02:14 AM »

NAFS!! ur in luck... PBS is showing Downton Abbey from the beginning. They showed the first one on Sunday and the first four episodes are online on their website already...http://video.pbs.org/program/979359625/  then they'll show the second season starting in january Wink Just an FYI there are some mature scenes so get ready to forward when they come up!!

Nafs
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2011 05:52 AM »

NAFS!! ur in luck... PBS is showing Downton Abbey from the beginning. They showed the first one on Sunday and the first four episodes are online on their website already...http://video.pbs.org/program/979359625/  then they'll show the second season starting in january Wink Just an FYI there are some mature scenes so get ready to forward when they come up!!

I love you! Huh? lol wow! I was like where am I going to find this  Embarrassed

lol and thank you for warning me, seriously.
Nafs
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2011 07:11 AM »

Was it only 4 episodes?
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2011 09:53 AM »

Nope! 8 episodes the first season, and not sure for the second as it's on going. PBS'll probably eventually put them all up and the second season when they play it in january!!  tv
Nafs
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2011 07:39 PM »

I hope they put them up soon  Embarrassed
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2011 08:35 PM »

Thought this was really funny... but have to say the world would definitely be more elegant if everyone went back to cravats and tophats mrdarcy and those beautiful (and halal!) long dresses!!

================

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2047343/Downton-Abbey-sparks-craze-corsets-cloche-hats-cravats.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Downton fashions:

austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2011 10:05 PM »

I am absolutely in  love with his new drama. It first came in australia in about June I think, and it was something I took interest to straight away lol.

Btw sis Jannah which sister is it favorite? I really like Sybill, and hope she maintains her independence.

If you google " watch downton abbey online" you will be able to watch it online.

By googling " watch (insert series/movie name here) online" you will be able to find links to watch pretty much anything online. Just be careful to use well known sites to avoid ur comp running slow
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2011 03:02 AM »

yayy more ppl watching it so we can discuss it...!! have u seen up to the latest? season 2 episode 4?

well u know it's an odd choice but my favorite sister is Mary... yes she was evil and stuck-up and mean to her sister and spoiled and vain about her looks, but she also has her vulnerabilities. despite everything she fell in love with mr. pamuk(kamal) and still sticks up for him and she always sticks up for her beliefs and is honest and practical about things. she told william about his mother because she felt it was right and went against everyone. she realizes she has to marry for the family's sake but wouldn't do it without love. she had the chance to ruin Matthew's fiance and get him back but she didn't. a very grey character with lots of shades... can't wait for more episodes   bebzi

ps i read this review of last week's episode and almost cried... hillarious!! http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/oct/02/downton-abbey-series-two-episode-three?newsfeed=true  the reviews just make the show  laughcry

pss try this quiz... http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/quiz/2011/sep/13/downton-abbey-character?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487
LOL i got:  "You are the Dowager Countess of Grantham, Violet Crawley (Maggie Smith). "
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2011 11:03 AM »

Lol yes Ive seen all of season 2, I watch it online the day after it comes in in the UK ... i know sounds like im a bit obscessed but its such a different type of drama that I am hooked... my only dissapointment is that each season is so short! Only 7 episodes for season 1 and 8 for season 2 I think.

Its not an odd choice for liking Mary. I find a tiny bit of me in her, where I have a lot of insecurities about myself but Im not willing to let anyone see, though I dont go about taking out my temper on my sister lol... I see her as someone who feels a bit stuck or pressured, she must marry and marry well, to keep the families money, but she wants love, and at the end of the day we all want to love and be loved in return.

The reason I like Sybill though is because shes really smart, I love how she sticks up for Branson after going to the riots. I love how she is progressive and takes charge and supports herself and her views, its something I would like to learn how to do better. Its a bit silly of me, but I find going to nursing school and becoming a nurse a much more valuable way to help out the war at home rather than organize concerts for morale... Or maybe its cuz I am a heath care person as well?

Tried the quiz, ended up as Cora lol
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2011 02:22 PM »

salam

I'm Violet Crawley .... aaaand now I must confess I have never watched a single episode of DTA!

I'll leave the thread now.....

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2011 08:41 PM »

I'm Lady Mary Crawley.  Apparently, I yearn for glamour and excitement.  And perhaps a handsome chap...  mrdarcy

I missed the last episode but I'm hoping it will repeat itself on either ITV1 or ITV2.  I find it a struggle to remember all the characters' plotlines.  I'm all about Anna and Mr Bates.  Their love must conquer all!

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2011 12:23 AM »

for anyone not watching it ...buy the DVDs after the season is over and on coldddd winter nights just snuggle up with some chai/hot chocolate, a big blanket and watch them from the beginning! (actually this does not sound like such a bad idea might try it myself Wink)

who's seen the latest episode!!??

spoilers......

wow what a tour de force! i don't think anyone left that episode without crying. this definitely isn't your average soap opera, i think it's elevated hugely by the historical storyline and the actors who are AMAZING especially lady mary. you have to totally fall in love with her this episode. not sure why anyone still likes sybill (ahem austmuslimah Wink) she just seems so wishy washy, does she love/like branson or not?! and poor poor anna and bates... i just have a feeling they'll always remain star-crossed lovers, nothing ever seems to work for them Sad why does england make divorce so difficult? ppl should be able to end a marriage when needed. guess we should give thanks for the islamic system that makes everything more simple. and daisy and william  :'( gah need to go cry more...
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2011 10:18 AM »

AOA just found this thread actually the title threw me as here in the UK it is being shown on ITV so thought it was one of the old adaptationss.....

I am loving this drama the acting and storyline are both great, and as for some of the dresses  princesssis  ... did u see the precap for next week......i personally think Mary will marry Mathew in the end....

Baji
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2011 10:24 AM »

salam

That's it I'm going to have to watch it on catch up I suppose.....

The first series was a BBC one wasn't it? I think ITV commissioned this one, I was confused about that too, but then I'm generally confused.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2011 10:37 AM »

Epi 5 came out yesterday!!! Anyone seen it already? Dont want to spoil it if you have. Was really really sad.
And the preview for epi 6 looks good too!!

I feel so bad for Daisy, I dont know if what she did was right or not, but I think I would have had the same misgivings as her.
As for Sybil and Branson, they are my favorite.

Poor Mary, Sir Richard is going to make life very hard for her I think Sad
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2011 04:16 AM »

Guess who else are big fans!!!  Grin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2050469/Royal-fans-Duke-Duchess-Cambridge-spend-Sunday-evenings-watching-Downton-Abbey.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Sooo cute!! cute
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2011 06:43 AM »

ok, austmuslimah and I had a long talk in the chat about downton... i think we're going to have to have one every Monday until "the end"!!

Cute related article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8846233/Weve-lost-the-art-of-chivalry-says-Downtons-Lady-Mary.html
Dockery said that 21st century equality of the sexes had led to the demise of old-fashioned manners. She suggested that modern men should watch the period drama and pick up tips on how to treat a lady.

I agree!!  Grin

*spoilers**

I watched episode 6!!! OMG who cried when he announced the end of the war! U could really feel it, how amazing it must have been to hear those words at that time. and blech what a jerk carlisle is...yeah we knew that.

still feel sorry for Edith... this is like the 3rd guy that rejected her who she truly loved... girl can't catch a break Sad Sad Sad

I totally knew they were setting up an affair for Lord Grantham when Cora was all busy last week and the maid looked so cute when she was caught in the library blech don't like her

Very happy to hear vera's dead!! anyone think of jane eyre with that thread?

ok i could go on forever...

austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2011 02:54 PM »

I really really liked it when they had their moment of silence, that was really poignant for me.

Jane... with Lord Grantham? i wish they didnt have that storyline in the series, since Lord and Lady Grantham usually get along pretty well.

I think Matthew is going to regain his ability to walk? Possibly?

And on old fashioned manners, yes I agree, but Sir Richard certainly seems to have lost his manners when confronting Mary in the new house...scary!

Geez Isobel is sooo easily manipulated, it makes me feel strange to think that somone can so easily sway another.

Sybil is my fav Smiley I cant wait to see more of Sybils story if there is going to be any.
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2011 12:19 PM »

Episode 7

All i can say through every bit is "NOOOOOOO!!!!. NO NO NO NO NO)

*SPOILERS*
===================================

1. I am NOT happy with Lord Grantham and the new maid Jane, bad bad bad bad
2. Sir Richard is going above and beyond a paranoid evil fiancee
3. Vera setting up Mr. Bates for her death? not sure if thats whats happening
4. SYBIL!!! what on earth!! There is no running away! I thought she would have enough brains to stay and fight, not elope
Arghhhhhh
5. Poor Lavinia, im not sure if Matthew really loves her
6. Lady Grantham -- poor poor lady, her and her husband are growing so far apart.

But hooray for Matthew and his recovery Smiley

Cant believe the next one is the last one!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2011 09:42 PM »

ditto all the above... what a mess!! and even though we have some miraculous recoveries doesn't seem to help the storyline...
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2011 02:32 AM »

Who watched the end?!

just watched it.

*Spoilers*

sometimes i feel like this show totally echoes my life!

this last episode sooo wrong sooooooooooo wrong... every turn was just wrong.... where to start Sad

- bates and anna... after a 2 year wait for us it's like over in 5 minutes?! uhhhh couldn't we even get something nicer like williams wedding?! but i guess a fitting end and at least that horrible vera is dead!

- lord grantham and what's her name the maid. is it wrong to hate her and think she's like 'tarty'? like why does she keep going after him?? doesn't she know he has a nice wife. i love cora! and why's he so weak?? i just don't get this storyline at all

- i still feel like branson and sybill have no chemistry even tho they had a great ending blech

- lavinia i mean couldn't they have made her interesting? like mean or vindictive or angry or something. she was a little too angelic to be real. good acting at the end tho but just made me dislike her even more.

- i'm actually liking edith this season and i liked o'brian! and even thomas...what a complete change for us to be sympathetic to the villians!

- dame maggie amazing love forever. wish i can *be* her one day....

- matthew i'm just ..... who's heart broke when he said to mary "We're cursed, you and I. It's over. The End" yeah that girl is strong. i woulda just fell into that open grave Sad  what a mess

is there a season 3??  I dunno if my heart can take it really :'(
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2011 09:06 AM »

I saw it!!! lol i felt a bit guilty cuz it was the second day of Eid, but I spent so much of my time cooking and cleaning for guests that I felt i deserved a break.

anyhow i know exactly how you felt sis Jannah! The whole episode I was just devastated with the way things turned out.

I think in the case of Lord and Lady Grantham, they used to be really close and loved each other lots in the first season, until Mary's mistake with Mr. Pamuk. Once Lady Grantham had to hide it, I think the guilt and worry really ate her up inside, and shes always worried for Mary's future but she cant share the reasons with her husband, and she busied herself so much afterwards that she stopped being so close to her husband. At the same time he felt that everyone, even his wife, was doing things for the war effort except him, he felt "useless" and he probably resented Cora a bit for her involvment/being busy. Its not anyones fault, just bad circumstances that lead them to become distant from each other, and thats why he fell for the maid Jane, who actually listened to him and validated him. But all in all I think hes extremely weak for falling for her the way he did, even if she did like him and follow him so much. I guess thats why he accepted Sybil and Branson in the end.

I wasnt a big fan of the Anna/Bates wedding, only cuz it was so short lived until he was taken away by the police. Im not sure why they keep giving him trouble from his ex wife, but I guess its just a plot thickener.

Lavinia/Matthew/Mary -- I dont see her as "good and innocent" -- I see her "letting him go" as a purely spiteful way of making him feel terrible, I think its a sly way to make herself look good and put herself in the martyr position... Though I dont think she caused herself to die, I do believe that she was weak/frail and she couldnt take the sadness of having Matthew love Mary.
Matthew I think should not have told Mary that he would like to marry her and kissed her, because if he wasnt going to leave Lavinnia, its cruel to tell Mary he loved her, and wanted to leave Lavinnia, and its cruel towards Lavinnia as well. Its not fair for his fiancee to know hes in love with someone else, and its not fair for his "love" to know he wont be with her.
Mary is definately a very strong girl, shes been hoping for Matthew for so long, and has her hopes dashed just as they are raised again, and I dont think I could take it, its too much esp if you truly love that person, to be rejected twice, ouch.

I just cant stand Sir Richard, I cant see him and Mary really being happy, just always in a power struggle with a lot of jealousy on his part.

Sybil/Branson, Im happy they are together, I am glad one of the sisters is happy and is with the man she loves, but I have a feeling things will be a lot harder for Sybil than she expects.

Poor Edith! Saying its never her who is in love. I really want her to find someone just right for herself.

I really like the Dowager Countess, the way she handled Sybils news, was surprising but really nice, I wouldnt have expected her to be so accomodating.

Oh and there is a Chistmas special coming, soon, but im not sure when.

AND I do remember reading an interview that says that they will continue to seasons 3,4,5, maybe 6 if they have enough veiwers, they may carry onto the 1930s lol! I hope they do!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: