// Downton Abbey Fans!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Meet people in such a manner that if you die, they should weep for you, and if you live, they should long for you - Ali (radi Allahu anhu)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downton Abbey Fans!  (Read 11371 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2011 02:15 AM »

salams,

I was going to save the Christmas special for a snowy eve but couldn't resist.

And WOW. That totally redeemed the whole of last year. SO Beautiful. STill recovering. Don't think I can type now.  :'(

austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2011 02:54 AM »

OMG just watched the christmas special, took me forever to download it but was sooo worth the wait!!
All I can say is "YES YES YES" finallyyyy something good happened !

I loved it, a great way to finish season 2

Too bad season 3 isnt out until September!!!
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2011 11:00 PM »

Ok I've recovered...

K Xmas special...

*SPOILERS*

-i liked how uppity daisy was. i didn't like how bossy mrs. patmore was again and again making poor daisy lie and be in a bad situation.

- the bates trial... the whole thing was well done but i do find it odd how no mention of courts/bureaucracy was made! come on like govt workers actually work on xmas? Smiley and the only person who reacted at the verdict was anna?? what happened to those great scenes where the whole courtroom would burst into emotion and the judge would have to keep tapping his gavel!!

-thank God they got rid of carlisle. the way they were portraying him as the evil mean fiance who liked to grab and almost hurt mary made me think they were going to kill him off somehow esp with all those guns in the hunting scenes!! Smiley but i think they made him too black of a character in the end, and when he said 'i did love u, u know' no one cared. if they kept his character a little grey and showed how he did love mary and was jealous in a normal way it would have been better.

-(the best thing about this show by the way is the GREY, ppl are never always one or the other, it's important to show that... mary is the perfect example, and edith and thomas and mrs. obrian and so on)

- wished they showed a glimpse of branson and sybil, but guess this will happen later

- i really hope they send mary to america and we see some scenes of wealthy american life in the 1920s that would be so cool!

- liked how mary came clean with everyone an how her father forgave her because of his own "mistake" that was good tying in.

- loved how anna exposed the fortune hunter! and how she said "and i know how women are" to herself  i lol'ed kinda feel sorry for for dame maggies daughter, it would be cool if they developed her character a little and showed some london society scenes.

- hope they do some focus on edith next season

- loved the fistfight in the living room! lol

- love dame maggie love love... wish we could have a retro of how she was in her youth or something...

- lastly that one shot of mathew proposing on one knee in the snow and swinging mary around while she laughed in happiness in the snowflakes was beautiful television *sniff*

gosh now i feel like watching it again...

k the end Wink
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2011 09:00 PM »

I am going to do a Downton Abbey marathon of every episode with my sister on saturday Cheesy
She has never seen the series so im gonna make her watch it Cheesy

Any other good period dramas that you've seen sis J?
I might watch the 2 new Titanic dramas coming out later this year

Ive been enjoying the Robin Hood series by BBC lately
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2011 09:02 PM »

salam

What Robin Hood series, there's a Robin Hood series by the BBC?Huh?Huh?Huh?

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2011 12:59 AM »

Yup, BBC has a 3 part seriesa bout Robin Hood. Its really really good, and kids can watch it too.
Its got Jonas Armstrong as Robin hood, Lucy Griffiths as Lady Marian, and Richard Armitage as Guy Gisborne.

Id really recommend it
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2011 04:00 PM »

salam

Oh that Robin Hood, I think the entire thing has ended over here, it finished in 2010 I think.

I'd recommend the new BBC adaptation of 'Great expectations' tho, Gillian Anderson plays Miss Havisham.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2012 09:40 PM »

Season 2 starts tonight on PBS! (Sunday evenings for a few weeks) Last time they showed some different scenes than the British version (also cut some stuff!) but definitely cool to watch it on TV!

http://video.pbs.org/video/2174671596
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2012 12:31 AM »

Sorry, once again, I don't get the 'posting pictures' thing....

If someone could do it for me, great...
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2012 10:14 AM »

Salaam,

Thought this was funny. (For those who are not familiar with "the Onion" it is a fake news site)

Report: Watching Episode of 'Downton Abbey' Counts As Reading Book

February 7, 2012 | ISSUE 48•06

WASHINGTON—According to a report from the U.S. Department of Education released Thursday, watching a single episode of the British TV series Downton Abbey is the cultural and educational equivalent of reading an entire book. "It's a period piece with British accents and drama that hinges on each character's place within an aristocratic peerage system, so needless to say, viewing one show from beginning to end is basically the same as reading a book," Education Secretary Arne Duncan said. "Also you really have to pay attention to the storylines, so it's also like reading in that respect. And it's not as if you can stop watching Downton Abbey for a while, come back to it, and remember exactly what's going on. You'd probably have to start over from the very beginning, just like you do with a book." Duncan then excused himself from the press conference so he could go home and watch a couple books before he went to bed.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-watching-episode-of-downton-abbey-counts-as,27308/
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2012 08:35 PM »

lol @ the above two posts!! great that the rest of the world has discovered the show Wink
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2012 03:37 PM »

Yeah...my son and daughter-in-law just recently turned my on to the show.  I had a lot of catching up to do, but as of last night I'm finally caught up.   Love it!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2012 07:13 AM »

I swear I almost cried.... laughcry

The Deleted Playhouse films rough drafts of scripts out of the trash, bringing you scenes that didn't make the final cut, filmed with no location, preparation, or decent wigs

Deleted Downton Abbey S2 E5 - Edith & Patrick

check out the obrien one too!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #38 on: Apr 01, 2012 01:37 AM »

This is ridiculously funny. The FUNNIEST sketch yet!!!

http://screen.yahoo.com/downton-arby-s-28723019.html
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #39 on: Jul 08, 2012 10:04 PM »

I finally managed to start watching it online! I'm only on episode 3 but already totally addicted! I love the characters already...

SPOILERS ahead.

...except I'm not quite sure what to think of Mary. At first I thought that she was cool, like witty, tall, beautiful, to be sympathized with for her unfortunate position? Now i'm thinking that the impression I'm supposed to get is much more....vulture-like and nasty. Edith is very simpering, and I don't know what to make of Sybil yet, except that so far she seems to be sensible about women's rights and is behaving quite nicely (more than I can say for her sisters...my jaw dropped when Mary dismissed her mother with "you're American, you wouldn't understand...")

I really like all the servants, especially the butler! I cried when he asked Ms. Hughes whether she thought him "terribly ridiculous", it just broke my heart.
The mother and father are good as well but definitely the best character is the Dowager Duchess! Every time sh opens her mouth I grin and then gasp in shock!delight.

I think my reactions to this might be a bit flavored by th fact that I nearly never have watched movies except animated ones. I feel like the characters are so real...at the moment I just have such a sick feeling in my stomach after the Turkish idiot slept with Mary...I was just like how could you?! The weight of a secret like that...I carried a secret myself, was discovered and had a very similar talk with my mother...it's utterly horrible and changed everything. (and it wasn't even (thank God) anything to do with boys or on the scale of what Mary did!)
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #40 on: Jul 09, 2012 04:20 AM »

lol so cute... ur reminding us all of when we first started watching it and our reactions too Wink
Nafs
« Reply #41 on: Jul 09, 2012 06:14 AM »

LOL that sketch was hilarious!

Can't wait for the next season Smiley
Nature
Sis

Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #42 on: Jul 11, 2012 08:04 PM »

SPOILERS

So I finished the first season... That was an absolutely soul-shattering finale. I cant even begin to decide what was worst....O'Brien's face when she realized about the lady's maid, Mary ruining Edith's chance at marriage deliberately, Mary "ruining everything" for herself....so glad i dont need to wait to watch the second season!

Interestingly the book I put down to watch the show is also just about to say "We are at war..."
Nature
Sis

« Reply #43 on: Jul 26, 2012 09:19 PM »

I'm watching Return to Cranford now, it's so weird seeing Carson and Mary as other people! I can never quite accept actors in more than one role.
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #44 on: Sep 15, 2012 09:04 AM »

sis j!!!!!!!!!!!!

season 3 premiers on sundayyyyy woohoo cannot wait lol

im sooo excited im doing a downton marathon tonight and tmr night lol
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #45 on: Sep 15, 2012 06:05 PM »

lol me excited too!! but don't want more troubles for my favorite couple, but can't wait to see everyone at downton again!! i did hear there will be some more interesting characters like mary's grandmother from america arriving!! should be interesting all around Wink  tv
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #46 on: Sep 17, 2012 10:08 AM »

Salaams it was a great episode and didn't disappoint at at all...... loved the grandmother Smiley

Funniest line
"did you do something jolly with your hair" hahahahahaha.......

Can't wait till next week for the next one Smiley

Baji
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #47 on: Sep 18, 2012 06:22 AM »

wsalam,

Does anyone else think Downton follows their life??! *Sniff it was so perfect.

*spoilers*

-loved the wedding, so beautiful!!, didn't like mary's dress - i do think it's the 1920s flapper style but dunno couldn't like it

- poor edith... it actually hurts to see her with that old guy. she needs an infusion of self worth!!

- loved seeing sybil and branson again (didn't she have a baby or something? or will?)

- actually didn't like the american grandmother!! think they're really using all the american over-the-topness loud n brash stereotypes, we're all not like that u know!! Cheesy (k maybe we are!)

- dame maggie God she is like the best thing on this show. I just live for her lines.

K' till next week Smiley

shaykh

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #48 on: Sep 23, 2012 11:22 PM »

Oh gosh I watched the wedding episode.... When he tells her 'I shall never be happy with anyone else as long as you walk the earth..' that was it for me.... ;'(

I have no idea whats going on tho as I've not watched it before. Rather compelling viewing I must admit.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #49 on: Sep 24, 2012 02:05 AM »

Noooooo don't watch it from Season 3... the wedding was like a culmination of 2 seasons + a special episode. It's like someone watching the last hour of Pride & Prejudice and skipping all the rest!!! It's like... what about the whole story?? Don't worry when I come to the UK I'm going to buy the DVDs inshaAllah and we can have a viewing party starting with episode 1!! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: