// Downton Abbey Fans!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downton Abbey Fans!  (Read 11505 times)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #50 on: Sep 24, 2012 08:03 AM »

I can't be asked to watch thre entire seasons!

Br Khalid is going to love having his TV commandeered by all this drama watching... How do you both work out the TV issue, you get to watch all these ye olde English dramas and he gets the TV during football season?

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #51 on: Sep 24, 2012 04:57 PM »

lol BrK does not watch TV, problem solved!! woohoo

Season 3 Episode 2

*spoilers*

Hilarious and sad at the same time. "Poor Edith" is such a horrible refrain, I wish she'd do something crazy or mean again. Dame Maggie I am like her one person #1 fan club in America, lol she's awesome. Everyone else, not so much. But the plots are moving along nicely.... absolutely love their dinner clothes. I think they'll single handedly bring back the 1920s flapper styles soon. Shirley is also growing on me...

Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 25
Riat8883 barely matters :(Riat8883 barely matters :(

« Reply #52 on: Sep 25, 2012 06:16 PM »

Just heard downtown had a nomination at Emmys prime time awards. Dont know whether it got the award or not.
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #53 on: Sep 25, 2012 08:08 PM »

They won one;

Supporting Actress In A Drama Series
Maggie Smith - Downton Abbey

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #54 on: Sep 30, 2012 12:48 AM »

This is SO EXCITING ppl!!! Smiley)) Who told me about this news?? My wonderful husband of course Wink

======================

Julian Fellowes to write Downton Abbey prequel

Younger actors would take on roles of the Earl and Countess of Grantham

Julian Fellowes, the writer behind the hit series Downton Abbey, is writing a prequel which follows how the Earl and Countess of Grantham first met.

"I do actually have an idea of doing a prequel of the courtship of Robert and Cora, when all those American heiresses were arriving in London.

"They had a slightly troubled courtship, because she was in love with him before they married, as we know, and he married her entirely for her money," said Fellowes, speaking at the Bafta Screenwriters' Lecture series.

"I sort of feel there's something quite nice in there because he's a decent cove, and so he feels rather guilty about this which has affected their marriage beyond that."

Fellowes spoke of the prequel in book form, but - given the success of Downton Abbey - a TV adaptation seems almost certain.

The period drama, now in its third series, has proved a huge hit for ITV, and the broadcaster is keen to extend Downton's longevity - though it is rumoured that leading characters such as Dan Stevens are likely to leave the show at the end of the current series.

The spin-off drama would cast a pair of younger actors in the roles, currently played by Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern, as his American wife.
Julian Fellowes Fellowes has enjoyed huge success in the UK and the US since Gosford Park

Fellowes said any spin-off would be broadcast after the end of Downton Abbey.

"For me, any other books or plays or films should follow after the end of the television show."

"I don't think you can continue a narrative in more than one area at once," he explained.

"I never really liked those Coronation Street Christmas specials where they all go to Haiti, and you don't have to watch it. Somehow it doesn't feel very organic."

The prequel may also provide an opportunity to take the drama to America, where Downton Abbey has proved equally popular - picking up an Emmy for Britain's Dame Maggie Smith earlier this week.

"I do feel very strongly that America rescued me," said Fellowes, referring to his 2001 Oscar-winning screenplay for Robert Altman's Gosford Park.

"All the stuff in England, the stuff we have about each other, they don't care about all that. They care about whether your last picture did anything or what you're doing next."
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #55 on: Oct 01, 2012 05:09 AM »

Is anyone else watching besides me??

hilarious!!

Season 3 Episode 3

*spoilers*

- Two weddings in one season! it seemed too good to be true!
- and it was
- LOVED her wedding dress and all her wedding stuff.
- Gosh I kinda love Edith now, poor girl.
- Liked the cancer story line thought it was well done drama
- Really thought for a moment Downton Place was going to be a new drama next season!

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #56 on: Oct 02, 2012 09:17 AM »

I'm watching it.

I thought Sundays episode was very unrealistic. No man would leave the daughter of an Earl standing at the altar. and around the period Downton is set the match would have been acceptable the young men were mostly lost to the war so girls did married older men possibly with war wounds/disabvilities, theres was the most desirable match form the three sisters, he was wealthy and titled a perfect match for the daughter of the earl.... it was all very unrealistic. Aristocracy do not leave one another jilted atthe altar even in these times ..........

But very sad for Edith poor thing. Wonder if she will hold her father responsible for scaring him away?

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #57 on: Oct 02, 2012 07:30 PM »

Thats an interesting perspective sister Fozia! I think in these kind of shows we need a lot of suspension of disbelief non? Wink

I wonder what the actual age difference they were trying to show was. It seemed like 30+ years which is kinda scary!! I do think the whole jilted at the altar is for drama's sake, but it's likely that broken engagements were pretty common.

Even today unfortunately I know many friends that have had broken engagements, where the guy has called it off. Even so far as to say some sisters in a certain area think they have a "curse" because every girl there so far has had an engagement broken off by the guy Sad Alhamdulillah though most are happily married now and are no doubt far better off. I only have worries for a few more friends who I hope we can find good ppl for!!  flowers4u

A nice pic from the almost wedding...

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #58 on: Oct 02, 2012 07:38 PM »

The jilting at the altar thing in itself is not the unrealistic bit. It's aristocracy doing it to one another...and seriously what groom (or bride for that matter), turns up to then jilt their bride/groom to be, by literally running off from the church in front of all the guests?

Nobody would jilt an earls daughter at the altar (the aristocracy have a different set of life rules altogether, even nowadays), and no member of the aristocracy would object to a titled rich man marrying their daughter especially during the era downton is set in, when there was a shortage of men anyway due to the war.
Looking at it from the family's point of view, Edith's was the best match out of all three daughters, one elopes and marries the chauffeur, the eldest marrys a virtual pauper (is he titled?) and the last is set to marry a titled rich man.... Edith's match would have thrilled the family.

but you are right its artistic license I suppose...also I think the housekeeper does have cancer....

PS I stole the Dame maggie picture, its too funny not to!

austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #59 on: Oct 03, 2012 06:34 AM »

I loved this weeks episode ! Poor Edith!!
Im not sure how realistic it was, for the daughter of an Earl to be left at the alter the way she was, but it was incredibly sad. I wasnt surprised though, considering how much Edith had to persuade Sir Antony to marry/accept her in the first place.
The poor girl, she hasnt had good luck at all... but I love what her mother said, that shes being tested, and tests make us stronger, that was the best advice/consolement she coulld have given, even if its not going to be heard/acted upon for a while. On a side note, I liked Ediths dress much more than Marys though.

Do you know how many episodes will come this season?
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #60 on: Oct 08, 2012 10:14 PM »

austmuslimah that scene was really sweet. i love elizabeth mcgovern she's such a great mother!! it'll be 8 episodes with an xmas special!

season 3 episode 4

*spoilers*

-such a great episode, such drama! such history! definitely why we watch downton!
-the sybil/branson storyline was definitely great
-edith as suffragette love it!
-bates and anna *cry
-jane giving up the baby *cry
-dame maggie *love as usual
-all the other storylines developing so nicely
-and new characters to boot
-liked this episode the most so far this season!

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #61 on: Oct 15, 2012 07:42 PM »

whats your take on yesterdays episode???

I'm traumatised!

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #62 on: Oct 15, 2012 08:28 PM »

Salams,

I'm still in shock. Cried my eyes out, how bout you sr fozia?  :'( I want to watch it again bc I wasn't paying close attention but don't think I'll ever be able to Sad Austmuslimah is gonna be devastated too...her favorite.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #63 on: Oct 15, 2012 08:34 PM »

I told you... I'm traumatised,  I may never watch costume drama again....my friends know I only ever do happy endings...that was not happy!

Altho I knew what was going to happen when she said her feet were swollen.

Just too much tho.... just nooooooooooooooooo

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #64 on: Oct 15, 2012 09:41 PM »

I also blame lord wotsit

austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #65 on: Oct 16, 2012 03:52 AM »

OMG !!! I just watched this episode and I am so devastated ! I cant believe it! The poor girl! Poor Tom! and the poor child!

I dont know if Lord Grantham is to blame, but honestly I do feel a grudge towards him just like Cora.

This has pretty much ruined my week Sad
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #66 on: Oct 16, 2012 07:32 AM »

I didnt like how Mary wouldnt console Edith !! If anything, they should be closer and forget their silly competitions !
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #67 on: Oct 16, 2012 10:37 AM »

I think Mary is a realist, she's not given to makign promises she knows they wont keep. She did comfort her sister tho.

I reckon she will now have a phobia and adopt Sybils baby so she doesn't have to go thro it herself. she looked terrified.

Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #68 on: Oct 16, 2012 02:30 PM »

wow what an emotional episode, i also agree stupid lord grantham couldn't see past sir whatever his name is despite the other doctor telling him......

I do agree with regards to mary think she was freaked out by having a baby already and her expressions now were saying ' u want me to go through that!!!! '

eagerly awaiting sundays episode Smiley
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #69 on: Oct 17, 2012 03:31 AM »

U know Julian seriously knows how to put us through the ringer!! High highs like last year's Xmas episode! and low lows like this. But I really think he could have done better with this. He should have killed off Edith. She should have gone out in some spectacular fashion like trying to save one of the sisters or something, sacrificing herself and finally making herself remarkable after death!!

But I guess after this, there's going to be a huge amount of fallout and it really affected everyone and every storyline so I guess we'll see what happens.

So which sister are you guys like?? I'm going to say I'm more Mary than anyone lol
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #70 on: Oct 17, 2012 12:03 PM »

Sibyl's prolly got a hollywood contract or something and watned out.

Edith is going to cause a ruck with her new journalist job.

I think I'm rather like Mary too, I tend to appear emotionless, but really thats me getting on with it, can't have everyone falling to pieces all at the same time.

The funniest line tho last week was Dame Maggie 'Cora is right...Sybil's life is in the hands of the chauffeur....' bahahahahaha. I want to be just like that when I'm old and cranky

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #71 on: Oct 22, 2012 02:27 AM »

Season 3 Episode 6 spoilers

What a beautiful, emotional episode after the shock of last week. And what absolutely *amazing* acting by everyone. Wow need time to recover... :'(
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #72 on: Oct 29, 2012 06:52 AM »

Season 3 Episode 7

*spoilers*

This was kind of a strange episode after all the drama of the last few. The end scene was the greatest part! Hilarious! and how great was Dame Maggie in this one. One more to go and that'll be it for the season!! Have to say I'm sad about Sybill and also kind of sad to see it all come to an end Sad
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #73 on: Nov 05, 2012 10:58 PM »

Season 3 Last Episode

*spoilers*

So no one's seen the end!!??  Didn't feel too much like an end to me, seemed more transitional, although that last scene was just odd... how much you want to bet idyllic scenes like that are being set up for something awful about to happen!! Sybil dying was a real jump the shark moment I think, kind of makes everything hard now. But again lots of nice things going on and do like the shades of grey with every character! I don't know why they brought Rose into it and then getting rid of her? She seemed like she'd be an interesting edition to the family. And who on earth did Edith call to get the dish?? I want to know that Rishta Investigative Service!!

Well guess we'll all wait for the Xmas special and see what happens! Wonder if they will renew for one more season?

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #74 on: Dec 26, 2012 05:40 PM »

O my God. Who watched that? Who wants to kill themselves?

Julian has a lot to answer for.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: