Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Delusions, like dreams, are dispelled by our awaking to the stern realities of life. - A. R. C. Dallas
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearty winter meals  (Read 737 times)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« on: Oct 26, 2011 05:39 AM »

I don't know why but I absolutely LOVE winter.
The cold crisp air and leaves changing and later snow makes me feel so alive.
And it's a great time for baking hearty meals without worrying about over heating the house.
If you like both spaggetti and lasagna this recipe will be sure to please.
Made it for my family of 6 and it was a huge hit.
This recipe fed our 6 for dinner with leftovers for lunch the next day.
For those with smaller families make the full batch and freeze half for another night.
Hoping the other sisters will post some hearty winter meals recipes  purplehijabisis

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Baked-Spaghetti-4

Ingredients
1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
5 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
4 cups (16 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasoned salt; set aside.
 In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, Parmesan cheese and butter. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat.
 Place half of the spaghetti mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cottage cheese, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
 Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 526 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 881 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 31 g protein.

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2011 07:02 PM »

wsalam,

I just read that our average first day of snow is Oct 31 and our average last day of snow is Apr 20. I'm going to cry now   :'( It's going to be a loong looong winter fainting

But at least we do have the foods!!

I usually do your recipe blessedgrandma but without the end stuff, that does sound yum! And cottage cheese will work or do you mean ricotta cheese?? Going through all that you might as well make Lasagna non? Question the eggs are to bind everything together?

Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2011 01:25 AM »

Jannah, the reciepe is copied from the site link and it calls for cottage cheese.
(Over the years I have heard cottage cheese as being refered to the poor mans ricotta and it is half the price as ricotta)
I imagine either could be used, I made it as per the reciepe and everyone loved it. I'd like to try it with ricotta sometime.
It doesn't mention what kind of cottage cheese to use and I used 4% a lower fat one.

As to time on it and just going a head and making lasagna? I find it less time consuming making
the baked Spagetti. Making lasagna one has to worry about the noodles not sticking and laying them out
rather than just plopping the cooked spagetti in the pan  Smiley not having to lay each think lasagna noodle out.

I'm assuming the egg/butter/parm cheese is for both flavor and binding the spagetti.
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2011 05:08 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

This is not quite a recipe but just a visual. Ok here's the quickest recipe  Grin
  • Get a good chocolate cake (or you could bake one)
  • Cut a slice
  • Pour some custard out of a can or carton (again you could make it yourself), on top of cake
  • Serve warm. Voila!
It's very hearty & great for Winter! yum yum... Smiley A British school dinner classic. This is the fondest memory I have school dinners.

Ma'Salam,

Cinders

Sr J, can you resize plz?

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: