// Advice for praying with baby
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The essence of knowledge is to know what obedience and worship are - abu Hamid al-Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for praying with baby  (Read 1336 times)
palipeach81
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
palipeach81 has no influence :(

« on: Oct 26, 2011 12:50 PM »

Assalam alkium,

Hi, I am learning how to pray. I have a 20 month old daughter who whenever I am in the processes of praying, she will go on my rug or she will cry,talk etc. Sometimes if I am lucky I am able to distract her before hand. I even lay out a rug for her, but she still comes on mine.  When this happens, is the prayer invalid and do I have to start over? Also, I read that you should put something in front of you when you pray, is this mandatory?

Thank you
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2011 01:33 PM »

Walaikumassalam sis

Unless you get distracted and omit the essentials of the prayer it won't be invalid. When the Prophet(S) used to pray, his grandsons(RA) used to climb over his back while he was in sujood and he would wait for them to get off before getting up himself.

And yes you should keep something in front when you pray. The reason for keeping a sutra is to avoid the person from looking beyond it and helping him concentrate on his prayer. It is also used to prevent people from walking directly in front of the person who is praying. Anything can be used as a sutra, scholars say that anything can be used, even a thread or the edge of the rug. Allahu 'alam

Hope this will help. And don't forget to make dua for me when you pray Smiley
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2011 04:25 PM »

wsalam,

Here's the evidence for being allowed to pick up a crying baby while praying. Hope it helps:

The eminent Companion Qatada al-Ansari (may Allah be pleased with him) said, "I saw the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) leading people in prayer, while Umama, the daughter of Abu al-`Aas and Zainab, the daughter of the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace), was on his shoulders.  When he would bow down, he would put her down, and when he would rise up from prostration, he would put her back (on his shoulders)."

The hadith can be found in various books of hadith, including Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawud, Nasa'i, Muwatta of Malik, Musnad of Ahmad, and others. 

Muslim jurists unanimous agree that too many extraneous movements in one's prayer invalidate the prayer.  However, based on the above hadith, and other evidences, many scholars have concluded that a few, non-consecutive extraneous movements do NOT invalidate one's prayer.

(Sharh Sahih Muslim, Fath al-Mulhim).

Based on this, it would be permissible for the mother to pick up her child from the floor, as she comes up from prostration, and continue to hold the child while she is standing.  However, if she bends down to pick up the child from the standing position, and then rises up again, that would constitute too many movements, which would consequently invalidate her prayer.

And Allah knows best.

palipeach81
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2011 05:33 PM »

Thank you two for your advice. One more question, when she is crying and I lose the spot that I am reciting/or I get distracted and mess up. Then I just redo the prayer?

May Allah give you rewards for helping me:) I have so many questions even though I am muslim. I just suddenly realized a few weeks ago that my life is nothing without prayer and Islam. I have so much to ask forgiveness for and to be thankful for. I pray Allah the one and only, forgives me and that it is not too late to start praying.
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2011 05:42 PM »

Yes sister, if you mess it up completely then you have to redo it.

InshAllah you'll do fine Smiley

Just don't forget to remember us in your duas Smiley We desperately need 'em.
palipeach81
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2011 11:44 PM »

Assalam Alkium,
Everyone has been great helping me with my millions of questions and....I have more! lol! I sometimes feel like I cant go out and enjoy myself because I will miss the prayer times and there is no where around me where I can pray. I know if I'm in a mall, I can pray in one of the dressing rooms. But I feel if I run an errand, I have to hurry and rush home. What do you guys do when you are in this situation? It's always stressed to pray on time.

Also, what days are good to fast for forgiveness?

Thank you:) Kiss
akhan
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2011 04:45 AM »

umm..I'll pass the first question coz here, you can find a masjid in every nook and cranny of my city.
And btw, the prayer timings are not so rigid. Like, Dhuhr in almost every masjid here is at 1:30PM, but I can pray at 2:30PM too, on my own, that is. You'll have to be careful for Fajr and Maghrib though, they have a smaller window than the others. So, not such a big deal. Although, it's good that you're worried to pray on time Smiley

I don't know of days to fast specifically for forgiveness. You can fast whenever you want, that's the general rule.
There are some days that are special though, like the first ten days of Dhul Hijjah. It actually is Dhul Hijjah now, so you can start fasting right away, till eid.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2011 06:38 AM »

salam,

as akhan mentioned there's usually a window of time for each prayer, so you have a few hours. in winter though it gets tough cuz the prayers are all close together. usually what we do is try to make the times we go out between the prayers so we don't miss anything. and if there's anything around a prayer time we try to find a mosque near what we're doing to pray in. just takes some getting used to organization wise!! and yessss have prayed many times in a dressing room! Smiley

for good days to fast:

ramadan
day of arafat
day of ashurah and day before
10 days of dhul hijjah
mondays
thursdays
3 days of the full moon in the middle of every lunar month (13,14,15th)
6 days in shawwal
days in the month of muharram
days in th e month of shaban
every other day

i think thats it?

ps my shift key is well and truly broken now so sorry about the no caps even tho i usually write with no caps?
palipeach81
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2011 09:06 PM »

thank you guys sooooooooooo much!!!
moderatesufi
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2011 09:41 PM »

Islam is not a cruel religion, carry your child when you pray!

That is what I heard the Imam of Regents park Musjid shout towards the women's prayer hall when one salat we heard babies crying from there all the way through.
palipeach81
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2011 09:03 PM »

Lol @ MODERATESUFI!

What would u guys do if : this is a perfect example of what is happening tonight
I have to go out to P.F. Changs (a restaurant) with the in laws because tomorrow is the day my sister in law is going back to Chicago. She came a week to VA to visit her family.
So I have to go. The last prayer here is 7:40ish. I have to be there @ 7. I know I won't make it home in time to do this last prayer on time and if I know I can't pray in the restaurant. There is no where private.
Would you wait to go home and pray?
akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2011 09:30 AM »

If it's Isha you're talking about then the time for it is till midnight. Midnight doesn't actually mean 12AM here. It depends on Fajr and Maghrib, for example, if Maghrib is at 6PM and Fajr is at 5AM, then midnight would be at 11:30PM.
palipeach81
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2011 02:31 AM »

Assalam Alkium,

I found out I've been praying the wrong way and now I want to cry:( I have a compass that you can put on your prayer mat that I never knew how to use until my mother in law showed me. Does this mean all my prayers are invalid???
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2011 03:42 AM »

wsalam,

If you didn't know it's ok!! InshaAllah they'll be accepted!! Happy Day of Arafat Smiley
akhan
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2011 03:45 AM »

walaikumassalam
you mean you were praying in the wrong direction? like sis jannah said, it's ok if you didn't know...you just have to be careful from now on, that you don't repeat the same mistake.

PS - if you use one of those stupid smartphones Grin there are apps that show the direction of the kaaba. it's quite awesome but I still prefer the old school method Wink
palipeach81
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2011 05:27 PM »

I can't express my thanks to everyone who replies to my questions:) May Allah reward you for your help. I def have to check out that app on the phone! Thats good if I'm out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: