Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

All the world's a kabob truck.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Things to do for Eid?!  (Read 1945 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Oct 26, 2011 04:56 PM »

Salams,

Eid's comin' around again and as usual there's nothing to do!! Anyone have any suggestions of things to do on Eid that would make it a fun nice day?? What do y'all do??

thewave

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2011 05:47 PM »

All I can think of is a barbecue coz that's all I do. We do the slaughter and that takes up the entire day, the day before eid is mostly spent on buying sheep and negotiating with butchers. Me and my friends do a barbecue on the rooftop the day after eid every year.
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2011 07:14 PM »

Well as akhan mentioned,we spend the day before Eid  arranging for the next day.The fun part for we girls here is that usually males do the buying of sheep and bring them home.So the feeling of Eid starts here.We observe the sheep and take part in taking care of them.

The Eid day is of course spent in the slaughter and distribution of meat.This has it's own funny moments,yet it is very exhausting.
I usually try out new recipes in the kitchen the next day,that brings out the creativity in me and is fun.
I once had a post Eid party-was a potluck party where all brought their own special dishes.The best part was having different types of sweets that different people brought Grin

BTW akhan the barbecue idea is awesome and I tried having a barbecue once but could not get the recipe right...can you please give me tips to arrange it properly this time..I would appreciate it if I could know the proper recipe for the barbecue. Smiley

Sis Jannah,how exactly do you guys celebrate this Eid usually?
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2011 02:25 AM »

Sis Jannah,how exactly do you guys celebrate this Eid usually?

That's the problem!! There's usually nothing to do and no one plans ahead of course. Usually it works out somehow tho cuz one can take a nap for half the day after the prayers? Wink  sleeping

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2011 02:26 AM »

Ok so here's my suggestions on some things to do, what else?!!

1. Take the day off from work and school! Otherwise it will feel just like another day. Also, dress up!!

2. Find some recent converts in the community and invite them over for lunch (or eat out somewhere).

3. Look for some not so well-off families in the community (kids whose father’s are in jail,etc), buy some presents for the kids, wrap them and bring them over to their house on Eid day!

4. Spend some time baking some yummies and bring them with you to the Mosque on Eid or the night before to share.

5. Have an Eid party at your house. Invite friends to come back to your place after the Eid prayer for lunch.

5. Go shopping and spend some Eidi!

7. Go to the movies?

8. Do some things that *you* really like to do! Like just for yourself. ie read a nice book, take a bubblebath, laze around the house, go for a walk, go to the park, go to ur favorite bookstore.

9. Help organize a community Eid dinner or kid’s Eid party in your community!

10. If all else fails…Go somewhere else for Eid. Go visit friends or family in a different city to make Eid more exciting Wink
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2011 05:24 AM »

BTW akhan the barbecue idea is awesome and I tried having a barbecue once but could not get the recipe right...can you please give me tips to arrange it properly this time..I would appreciate it if I could know the proper recipe for the barbecue.
I'm no pro at it either, we just pull a different recipe from the web each year and so far, none have disappointed us. It's actually the experience that makes it taste so much better Smiley

The only thing is you need to make sure with the coals is that the heat should be just about right. If it's too high you risk burning the meat on the outside but it remains raw inside, if it's too low then it'll take a really long time to cook. It's not that difficult but it will take a little time to perfect, especially coz we're not so lucky to have electric barbecues. Lighting the coal and maintaining the fire is the worst part, other than that it's fun Smiley
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2011 03:52 PM »

1. Dinner/lunch/breakfast parties! I find that if you host one, you get invited to so many more, so its always fun Smiley
2. Dress up, make up, perfume, decorate the house really nicely, flowers, pretty rugs/cushion covers, etc
3. Eid namaz! always important
4. Keep the tv on to see the live streaming of the Hajjis
5. Organize little gifts for the kiddies and sit and read islamic stories, hold 20-question quizzes and have prizes for them
6. Visit relatives or family bringing sweets
7. BBq is awse esp with all the meat!
8. Spend part of the evening after maghrib reading quran

a lot more but thats all i can think of that we are doing this year Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: