// American culture at its best
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Watermelon it's a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face. - Enrico Caruso
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American culture at its best  (Read 971 times)
moderatesufi
« on: Oct 31, 2011 09:33 PM »

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2011/10/callous-and-twisted/
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012 11:33 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Just wondering what country you live in moderatesufi?  I dislike the titles of many of your posts ie "American culture at its best" "American values" etc when they are samples of some of the worst types of behavior and people which many Americans would agree with.

Just like we dislike being stereotyped and grouped into a big monolithic entity we shouldn't do that with others.  Allah calls people to account individually according to their own deeds and beliefs not by nation state or affiliation.

salaam
tanimtaher
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
tanimtaher has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012 03:59 PM »

Assalamualaikum,
Moderatesufi, you should have labeled this topic as "Capitalism at its worst" or "Humanity at its worst" or at the very least if you had to put the American label in it then you should have said "American culture at its worst".
If you don't like America, then please keep the dislike terms to yourself. For people who live here in the US, we don't agree with the wrong things that go on here. But at the same time, we don't like to be painted with a broad brush that this is "what American culture is about".
Every culture in the world has good and bad things. Suffice it to say, the good in American culture is sooo alluring that even those people who take every opportunity to criticize the US, would jump at the first opportunity to get here to partake in the good.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012 06:25 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

For all those misguided people out there who believe that the ends justifies the means in Islam, I would suggest pondering over the following verse of the Qur’an and attempt to understand (and implement) its meaning:

“And let not your hatred of a folk who (once) stopped your going to the inviolable place of worship seduce you to transgress”

Anger is a destructive vice and one of the major diseases of the heart and it is sad to see how many Muslims are blinded by this characteristic.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012 08:55 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Well, yes, I am angry

That is why you fail  Wink

But seriously, I would go away and contemplate the above verse and the one below:

"O ye who believe! stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both.

Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest ye swerve, and if ye distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well- acquainted with all that ye do

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012 03:27 AM »

The problem with this kind of tirade is that it is all black and white.  "America" is not evil. But there are evil things that go on. Have you even heard of the Occupy movement!!! They are in every city in America and they are AMERICANS. They are against these evils and oppression that is going on the world over.

The world is just a lot more complex then you make it out to be. There some very good Americans and there some very bad Americans. There is a lot that needs to be changed and upheld in this country, there's no doubt about that, but the same goes for every country in the world.

moderatesufi
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012 03:31 PM »

Jannah, America is not the people that live in that land mass.
America is the system, the philosophy of the rich and the might stealing from the poor and the week.
The people in the occupy movement are not examples of how America is a good thing.
They are examples of people standing up to America.
Inshallah Allah will grant them Islam.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2012 05:12 PM »

Jannah, America is not the people that live in that land mass.
America is the system, the philosophy of the rich and the might stealing from the poor and the week.
The people in the occupy movement are not examples of how America is a good thing.
They are examples of people standing up to America.
Inshallah Allah will grant them Islam.

Sorry dude you're not making sense. America is the American people. Unfortunately those in power right now do have the philosophy of protecting only the rich. The statistics are pretty scary. Basically the middle class is completely eroding and we now have an extremely rich elite upper tier and everyone else. The Occupy movement is against this. They are Americans and they love the original ideals of America. I wish you could spend a night with them in a tent in the park here. These are good people who have the ideals America was built for: a land of opportunity and equality for all. We must learn to separate people from a government or those in power. It just isn't fair to judge everyone based on the 1% of the action of the gov't which is made up of that 1%.

moderatesufi
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012 10:16 PM »

Jannah
I disagree with the "right now" in your statement.
Your statement sounds like what Zionists say when people attack Israel, when the Zionists respond "you shouldn't hate Jews".

Just as stating Israel is evil doesn't refer to the Muslims that live in that land, and all other non-Zionists that live there including Jews. Stating America is evil doesn't refer to the people there who do not believe in the evil ideology behind the state.
And yes I am saying the "original ideals of America" are evil, that is what I mean by America is evil.
That the ideals, or lets say the ideology is evil.
What did the founding fathers who put these ideals to paper do to the native Americans?
Do you consider that as evil?
What did they do to the Black Africans?
I say America was always ruled by "those in power". And America as a nation was designed to be like that, and safe guards were placed to insure the rich usurious bankers stay in power while the oppressed masses stay oppressed.

You are preaching to the converted when you describe  the occupy movement as good people, we can agree on that.
The different is I say they are an uprising against America. Against the "original ideals of America" and not for them.
They are looking for another solution, and inshallah they will see that Islam is the solution.

They have made a huge step by cutting through the Zionist propaganda and recognising the Ribba dominated system of America is inherently evil. Now inshallah they maybe able to see our Shariya is the solution to all of their problems.
Our system of doing business can solve their poverty, our system of justice can solve their crime and our system of morality can solve their social problems.

They recognise ribba is bad now, Muslims should feel confident enough about our own deen to tell them about our own way.
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012 11:45 PM »

Every time you post, Br Khalid, you inspire me to better myself. Jazakallah for that. You put all my ideas into one really really eloquent statement.

I do believe we have to rise above our hate, and just be the best we can be.

Moderatesufi -- the world is full of people, more than 6 billion. In this world there are good people, and people who do bad things, but mostly its people who are struggling to do the right thing. Its really really unfair to generalize a country, race, or any sort of group. Rising above that sort of behaviour is the best thing to do.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012 01:00 AM »

This thread is now closed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: