Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Beautiful traditions of Islam: Hajj Paintings  (Read 437 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2778

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 01, 2011 03:26 PM »

Salam,

Another of the beautiful traditions of Hajj that has continued until this day are Hajj paintings. Traditionally after a Hajji completed their Hajj and returned safely they would decorate the outside of their homes to indicate their travels. This might be a tiny depiction of the Kabah, a written prayer for acceptance or elaborate step by step scenes of one's travels. Walking through the narrow lanes in old parts of Damascus I remember spying these above doors or even along walls of deserted cement corridors. A tiny Kabah with the word "Labayk" calligraphied above it would suddenly bring back so many memories, and perhaps for others: future hopes. After the Hajj you could see green lights around certain doors all over Damascus. Upon asking, we were told these were the homes of recently returned Hajjis. It was beautiful to look down from the hills above the city and see these green twinkling lights, perhaps bringing the Noor of their Hajj back with them.

A nice article about a modern Hajj paintings artist: http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/199303/mural.celebrations.htm

Some Hajj art below:

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2778

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2011 03:44 PM »

Hajj art:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: