Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gray hair may one day be a thing of the past  (Read 714 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Jul 19, 2011 05:39 PM »

Is a Cure for Gray Hair Around the Corner?

A cure for cancer and gray hair all in one? Not bad, science, not bad.

Posted by Allure Magazine Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:53:08 AM

By Elizabeth Angell, Allure magazine

At the moment, the only remedy for gray hair is to cover it up, but that may soon change. Researchers at New York University have isolated a protein that coordinates pigmentation in hair follicles.

Their study, which was recently published in the journal Cell, shows that this protein, wnt, facilitates the work of both stem cells that guide the development of hair follicles and an entirely different set of stem cells, called melanocytes, that produce color. So far, the scientists have only succeeded in turning black-haired mice gray by inhibiting the wnt pathway, but they're hopeful that reversing the process is not far off. Even better: the research may help scientists understand diseases in which melanocytes begin uncontrolled cell growth—in other words, melanoma.

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/simply-chic-blog-post.aspx?post=14d9fb1c-322b-45c9-8c38-cc8745d13064&gt1=32002

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
LukeS
Madina Seeker

Reputation Power: 0
LukeS has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2012 04:10 PM »

Is this one of the fewer than expected pay offs from the various genome projects? If so, pay off at last. But what is it about grey hair that is so unattractive - are we evolved to dislike it ir is it a mere cultural quirk. Are grey haired people less sexually attractive because it indicates old age and therefore perhaps fertility problems?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: