// Recipe for ghawa
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Self-critical: The Prophet said: 'Blessed is he who preoccupies himself with his own defects, rather than those of others.' (Musnad Al-Bazzâr)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipe for ghawa  (Read 3267 times)
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« on: Nov 12, 2011 06:27 PM »

Assalaamualaikum,

Hey does someone know how to prepare ghawa-the middle eastern beverage?

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2011 03:19 AM »

lol..I had it numerous times but I have no idea how it's made Tongue

You can get ready to boil packets just like the way we get patti. I saw them somewhere in Toli Chowki/Mehdipatnam. In Barkas you can get ready to drink gahwa. Although I don't think either of those versions will turn out to be as good as it will be if you make it at home.
Mubaraka
Sis

Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2011 01:13 PM »

Yeh i've been craving for a good cup of ghawa ever since I smelled it in my neighbourhood...Could not track the souce though Sad

You can get ready to boil packets just like the way we get patti. I saw them somewhere in Toli Chowki/Mehdipatnam. In Barkas you can get ready to drink gahwa

Now only if I could know the exact shop....Barkas will be too much out of my reach....and Barkas se door hi rehna... Cheesy

akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2011 01:53 PM »

Ask around, I'm sure somebody will know. koi na koi rishtedaran ya dostan rehte hunge na toli chowki/mehdipatnam mei..aajkal koi na koi rehte udar..I don't remember the exact place coz I'm not that fond of it, Jeddah mei baba ghar mei banate, he likes it a lot. I drink it if I get it otherwise I don't make an effort.
Traveller
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Traveller has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2011 07:28 PM »

Wa 'alaykum assalaam,

Kaawa/qahwah/ghahwah/mint tea is quite simple to make - with slight cooking/tea variations from Moroccons to Afghans to Egyptians to the Chinese, etc.

I think most green tea leaves used in kaawa originate from China, but they are also grown in other countries.

The way I make mine (the Afghan way) is:

-Add 3/4 teaspoon of cardamom powder into water that is gently boiling
-add a small stick of cinnamon
-add a teaspoon of loose green tea (can buy from Chinese/MidEastern or Pakistani stores)
-add a teaspoon (or two!) of sugar
-once it begins to boil, add a splash of cold water to bring it down, then let it boil again
-turn off heat and add some freshly squeezed lemon juice and some freshly washed mint leaves
-cover the saucepan and allow the fresh ingredients to infuse for about 5 minutes.
-strain and serve with something sweet  Kiss

Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2011 09:06 AM »

Ok I've got some posts here...ufff!! my internet server was down since two days...and I was like Sad   !!!

Thank you so much Traveller for you end of recipe...was interesting to note some methods...was looking up for a proper one  inthe internet but in vain..!

akhan..thanks for trying Smiley
akhan
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2011 10:47 AM »

Ok I've got some posts here...ufff!! my internet server was down since two days...and I was like    !!!
We are so addicted to technology, aren't we? How I wish the good old days return..sigh Sad
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2011 12:57 PM »

We are so addicted to technology, aren't we? How I wish the good old days return..sigh
I second your thought akhan!!!

Nothing can replace the bliss of one to one meet and contact.But the world has become more virtual.

Although it is a easy way to communicate and can be a boon for  loners,connecting them to ppl who stay far from them,I guess lack of technology makes our work more challenging and brings out our  inherent skills of dealing with things.

It is always nice not to be a slave to anyone-even  technology!!!...
akhan
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2011 05:47 PM »

btw, I asked a friend who lives in Mehdipatnam and the shop that sells "ready to boil and then drink" Tongue gahwa is in front of Prince Hotel.
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2011 06:17 PM »

btw, I asked a friend who lives in Mehdipatnam and the shop that sells "ready to boil and then drink"  gahwa is in front of Prince Hotel at Mehdipatnam.

Is it?Did you do that??
ohh!!that sooo nice of you!!I will arrange for someone to get it from there now...!!yeppie!!!  woohoo

Jazakallahukhair!!!
akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2011 07:04 PM »

Lemme know how it turns out to be. If it's good, then I'm dropping by your house for a cuppa Grin
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2011 08:16 AM »

LOL.  Yeh sure! U've gotta wait for don't know how long Grin
akhan
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2011 09:35 AM »

LOL.  Yeh sure! U've gotta wait for don't know how long Grin
For long?  Naaahhhh...I don't think so Grin Cheesy
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2011 12:57 PM »

ROFL!!!!
Are you seriously posing with a cup of ghawah in your hand?
(May be you are just  holding an empty cup....just to make me jealous!not fair!!!  It may even be a cup of water you know...can expect anything from akhan Roll Eyes ) Grin

akhan
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2011 02:04 PM »

That's an Eid pic, daddy dearest was here so he made some Smiley

btw, you didn't notice the Saudi Airlines mug? I was hoping that people would notice and that my marketing effort would help my dad keep his job Tongue  Jokes aside, I seriously need people to make dua for him..please Sad
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2011 09:48 AM »

That's an Eid pic, daddy dearest was here so he made some

btw, you didn't notice the Saudi Airlines mug? I was hoping that people would notice and that my marketing effort would help my dad keep his job   Jokes aside, I seriously need people to make dua for him..please

So you enjoyed Eid with your baba over a cup(I mean mug) of ghawa.Good!!! Smiley  It's time for you to  learn how to prepare it from him  Wink...and paas on the tips to fellow madinans... Grin

Yeh,I did notice the Saudi Airlines mug....Saudi Airlines kya...app to poore  Saudi Arab ko promote karre Grin....

InshaAllah bro,we will surely pray for your dad's job there.May Allah turn events in your favour.Ameen

May Allah provide you more and more opportunities to visit Saudi and promote it and drink authentic Saudi ghawa and enjoy it with your dad there  Smiley Ameen.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2011 12:43 PM »

It's time for you to  learn how to prepare it from him  ...and paas on the tips to fellow madinans...
Sure sure..next time he's here, or if I go there, I'll pass it on to you. In the meantime, Madina party at your house with Mehdipatnam gahwa Tongue
akhan
Bro

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2011 06:06 AM »

I haven't made gahwa yet, but last night I made Turkish coffee to help me stay up and study. I got the recipe from my brother's Turkish teachers. There aren't any special tricks though. Just boil water, add heaps of ground coffee and you're done. You're not supposed to let the coffee 'cook' for long, just a few seconds. Turks also put cardamom, but there wasn't any at home so I threw in cinnamon Tongue Pour it from a height in order to build up foam, doesn't make much of a difference to the taste but apparently, the cup with the most foam is considered the best.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2011 06:09 AM »

PS - you can also see my prized possession, my stone age phone Grin
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2011 10:36 AM »

Assalaamualaikum,

Oh so akhan is preparing for his exams.Wish u all the best!

Well,i have a feeling that ur turkish coffee must be  a little on the bitter side...is it bitter?with just water and loads of coffee powder and just a hint of cinnamon....

It looks  sooo blaaaccck ...

And yeh tried finding ur phone amidst ur study notes...I think that is more than enough and way too modern a gadet for  students like u.... Grin...
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2011 10:40 AM »

Ok now i have this craving for a good cup of traditional cafe-au- lait.

You see i am suffering from common cold right now....I need a therapeutic dose of caffeine......

Going to prepare it!!
akhan
Bro

« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2011 11:08 AM »

It is bitter and sludgy, you can add sugar if you like, lot of people do, but I like my coffee without any sugar. People say it's an acquired taste, but I liked ever since I had it.

This is how I did it, except for the sugar and the cinnamon.
How to make great Turkish coffee
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: