Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 20, 2014 04:52 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tis the season......  (Read 1275 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Nov 24, 2011 11:51 AM »

Anyone out shopping recently will have been hard pressed to avoid all the paraphernalia associated with the holiday season in the West.

Every year it seems the retailers start earlier and earlier with their adverts and decorations in a desperate attempt to create desire for those poor, mindless, unsuspecting consumers out there.

Special offers and pre Christmas sales abound with the tagline that the shops are trying to 'help' in these difficult economic times.

Sometimes, it really is the case that we get we want but not we need!!

That said, by a quirk of fate, there happens to be a fair few holidays over the next few weeks:

The Americans have Thanksgiving

The Consumers have Black Friday

The Muslims have Islamic New Year to commemorate the Hijra of the Prophet saw from Makkah to Madina and the Day of Ashura to commemorate the day the Red Sea was parted and Allah saved Moses (as) and the Children of Israel.

The Christians have Christmas

The remainder have ermmmm Gregorian New Year?

So in the holiday spirit, here is a nice heart warming story.

Enjoy!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2011 01:11 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Wow, what a sweet story!

Loved it.

Ma'Salam,
Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2011 05:40 PM »

Waalaikumussalam warahmatullah,

MashaALlah, that is truly a beautiful story. Like what a brother told a sister," I saw your beauty with my qalb."

May Allah bless us with sights from the heart to see the beauty in others. Ameen.

Jazakallahu khairaa
Wassalamualaikum
:::hafiza:::
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2011 07:55 PM »

wsalam,

Holiday times are nice because ppl have the days off and can get together for a longer time than just a day on Eid. Not quite the same spiritual/islamic aspect but nice for families to be together. Totally agree with the over the top black friday advertising. It makes ppl want to spend and buy things they don't need! But can't deny there are some good sales, if ppl go in to only buy the things they need could be worth it. Interesting that activists want to celebrate that day as "Buy Nothing Day!".  From now until Xmas I usually avoid all stores!

As for the lovely story... still pondering over what the moral is?  ma'shaAllah uncle Brkhalid must be very popular at bedtime Smiley

jazaks
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2011 11:00 PM »

salam

I'm going to now go and drown myself in my bath tub.... The standard ending is 'They got married and lived happily ever after...'  tsktsk

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2011 11:42 PM »

ohh thats a really sweet story but i agree with sis fozia, its not my favorite kind when it doesnt end with a happily ever after... real life doesnt always have a happily ever after, but thats why we have stories!! so we can enjoy "happily ever after" in some form!
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2011 04:40 PM »

In my version, the next day he felt much better and later on that week on Jumah they were married and everyone in the land rejoiced. And they lived happily ever after.  king queen

THE END. happy
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2011 06:44 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Wow, what a sweet story!

Well, seasonal sentiment was the objective, so good to hear!

MashaALlah, that is truly a beautiful story. Like what a brother told a sister," I saw your beauty with my qalb."

Interesting quote Sr Barr and certainly a reminder that we all have both external *and* inward sight!

Holiday times are nice because ppl have the days off and can get together for a longer time than just a day on Eid. Not quite the same spiritual/islamic aspect but nice for families to be together.

What a shame that a season which was once used as a period of reflection and an opportunity to do good, has actually turned into a period of excessive and rampant consumerism.

As for the lovely story... still pondering over what the moral is?

One of the great things about stories, or literature as a whole, is that everyone brings their own experiences to the piece such that any 'moral' which is derived may actually be in the particulars rather than in the general.

The standard ending is 'They got married and lived happily ever after...'

real life doesnt always have a happily ever after, but thats why we have stories!! so we can enjoy "happily ever after" in some form!

In my version, the next day he felt much better and later on that week on Jumah they were married and everyone in the land rejoiced. And they lived happily ever after

Perhaps they did live happily ever after Huh?

Who knows, there may even be the possibility of a sequel or a whole "QYM" franchise? Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2011 06:01 PM »

wsalam,

I saw the tail end of brkhalid's question in the chat about 'if muslims inadvertently celebrate the xmas season?'. I think it's an interesting question. We do get the extra days off and work seems lighter at that time so definitely a reason to be happier. People sometimes give us gifts and there are office parties or holiday lunches. There are sales in the stores and specials and limited boxed sets of things only available at this time. And people in general are just plain nicer and in good cheer. There are lights and decorations everywhere that the kids like looking at. I don't think we "celebrate" it but we definitely benefit from the 'better things' that come from it. I think the same might be said about non-Muslims living in a Muslim society. They might benefit from Ramadan days off and iftars and Eid sales Wink
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2011 07:50 PM »

Wow!!! a beautiful story!! Smiley
theswordofgod

Reputation Power: 0
theswordofgod has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2011 08:01 PM »

Reminds me of another islamic story i was told 4 years ago...
jzks

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2011 06:03 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I don't think we "celebrate" it but we definitely benefit from the 'better things' that come from it

For those in the UK, there's currently a TV advert running for a large high street department store which shows a young  boy eagerly awaiting Xmas and his frustration at how long he has to wait before the big day arrives.

Eventually it does materialise and he jumps out of bed, runs past  all the gifts, digs into his cupboard and proceeds to extract a beautifully wrapped box which he presents to his parents while they look upon him in complete bewilderment.

We are told that 'the upper hand is better than the lower hand' and usually this time of year is a reminder of that fact. Whilst we may not 'celebrate' the occasion, we can at least appreciate the values which our own religion holds so dear.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: