// Ras Malai Recipe w/Ricotta cheese!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: American consumers have no problem with carcinogens, but they will not purchase any product, including floor wax, that has fat in it. - Dave Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ras Malai Recipe w/Ricotta cheese!  (Read 1497 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 24, 2011 08:03 PM »

OK found this recipe... very similar to my Moms, but I think she puts egg in it. We're making it tonight so I'll let everyone know how it turns out and take a picture!!

====================

Rasmalai Recipe

Ingredients

- 15 oz ricotta cheese /425 gms/ 1 tub ( I used part skim)
   - ½-¾ cups sugar ( use less if you don’t like it sweet), also note that the milk will be sweet
   - 4.5 cups milk ( I used 2% milk/ whole milk is preferable)
   - ½ cup half and half ( optional, no need to use this if using whole milk)
   - ½ tsp cardamom powder
   - 3/4 cup sugar
   - 4-5 strands saffron
    - Almonds/pistachio (chopped into fine pieces for garnishing)

Method

To make the malai/ricotta squares-

Pre-heat oven to 350F.
In a bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese and the sugar well. (Make sure there is no water in the cheese)
To drain the water, I wrapped a cheese cloth around the container (after opening the lid)and turned it upside down for about 1 hour.
Note: If there is little water, it is ok as it dries up during baking.
Next take a baking dish (I used square), grease it and then spread the ricotta sugar mixture so that it is about ½ inch thick. Make sure it is evenly spread especially at the center.
Bake it for 40- 45 minutes until a pale brown color is formed at a top or knife inserted in the middle comes back clean.
Keep a close watch while baking and make sure it does not brown; else the ricotta part will not taste good.
After it is cooled, cut them into desired shapes like squares/circles/diamonds. I cut them into squares.

To make the Ras/ Sweet Milk/ Syrup:

In a big container, boil the milk stirring in between so that it does not stick to the bottom.
Reduce the flame and then add sugar, saffron, half and half, let it simmer and continue to stir in between.
Let this quantity reduce a bit and thicken and then add the cardamom powder.
Keep aside for cooling and when it has come to room temperature, add the cut ricotta pieces and almond pieces to the prepared milk/ras/syrup.
Keep it in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours before serving. Serve chilled!
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2011 07:22 AM »

salam,

Here's the pic of the Ras Malai! No need for the draining stuff, add one egg to above recipe and minus the saffron. Turned out great and everyone loved it, especially the Desis!! I was hoping to eat a piece later but it was all gone  Shocked  You could probably use less milk too b/c no one seems to eat that part and the milky stuff is all that's left in the end!
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2011 09:03 AM »

salaam,

I would try to make it but they don't really have ricotta here in Egypt... (they have something similar called Qareesh (or Areesh) but not sure if it would come out the same way...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: