Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 16, 2014 08:15 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to the Future  (Read 565 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Dec 10, 2011 06:19 PM »

So with only a few days left of 2011, how will the past twelve months be remembered in the annals of history?

It certainly has been a tumultuous year with the advent of the Arab Spring, the ongoing worldwide economic downturn, the human disasters in Japan and Somalia, the riots in London and that small wedding between a guy named William and a girl called Kate.

2011 in many ways has reminded me of that year 30 years ago and the fact that many things seem to have gone full circle.

I can still remember as a kid watching the TV pictures in 1981 of Anwar Sadat being assassinated in Egypt and Hosni Mubarak taking over as President.

I recall vividly watching the Space Shuttle Columbia taking off for the first time from Cape Canaveral and seeing it land at Edwards Air Force Base.

I remember the petrol bombs and the standoffs of the riots in Brixton and Toxteth of that year.

Like now, 1981 was a period of recession but somehow the year lent itself to a new beginning and a new decade with a message of energy and hope for all.

Nothing typified that more than when Prince Charles led Lady Diana Spencer down the aisle and the whole country stopped and watched (it was a bank holiday then too!)

History should provide us with lessons for the future but why is it that we seem to make the same mistakes over and over again?

More than anything, this year has showed us that we all have limited time and when that clock expires, there is no coming back.

In 1981 the first DeLorean sports car left the production line and after years in the wilderness, 2011 saw the first DeLorean electric car being built.

Perhaps there is a lesson here of the need to reinvent ourselves every so often. A desire to change (not for the sake of change itself) but to manifest improvement and excellence in the lives that we lead.

I'm sure Marty, Doc and Einstein would agree.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011 05:56 AM »

salam,

so many good points here. agree we keep making the same mistakes in history and i don't even call some of them mistakes, we just deliberately do the same things over and over again, ie dumb wars vietnam now iraq, villifying ppl japanese, now muslims, overspending then recession cycles, rich getting richer until the ppl get mad then it starts over again. the circle keeps going, but as u said this was a tumultuous year and the rest of the 80s from what i remember were pretty good? so let's hope the 10s will turn out well too.

as for 'back to the future' sooooooooooooooooo many lessons there! and again i pity those who have never seen all these classic 80s movies... they're just so positive, even their view of the future. today most of the movies about the future are so dystopic. we somehow or other always end up destroying the earth!! environment, aliens, natural disasters, disease, meteors, even zombies!... hmmm kinda says something about us huh? i miss that 80s innocence i'd definitely go back to (their) future...

Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011 07:06 AM »

A.A.

I bought a 3 DVD pack recently, and watched all the seasons o_O

More later...

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2011 11:32 AM »

So with only a few days left of 2011, how will the past twelve months be remembered in the annals of history?

It would hardly matter to any one, I guess. With the reckless speed we are heading, there is a tremendous poverty of memories, good or bad...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: