// organ donation
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Your hope in my heart is the rarest treasure / Your Name on my tongue is the sweetest word / My choicest hours / Are the hours I spend with You - Rabi'a al-Adawiyya
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: organ donation  (Read 1348 times)
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« on: Dec 13, 2011 11:38 AM »

Asak

Its 2 am here and in the middle of trying to sleep I've just had this thought pop into my head. Is organ donation allowed in islam? Or is it a controversial answer? Sorry I'm too sleepy to look it up so I just grabbed my pjone and typed this up.

Jazakallah
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011 03:18 PM »

salam

I think it is controversial, however I did read a ruling allowing it.

I'll go look.

If you're thinking such things no wonder you can't sleep oldshaykh

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011 03:24 PM »

salam

OK apparently the British Muslim counsel (or something), have said its allowed as your saving a life.

I've always been taught that one must handle a body with care & gentleness as it feels pain. Given I'm a BIG coward, it's going to take a lot for me to carry an organ donation card.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2011 03:03 AM »

Jazakallah for the answer Cheesy
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2011 04:49 AM »

Salam,

I think some scholars have said no about organ donation. Allahu alam about all the evidence and the subtleties and details of the debate, best to ask around I think and also see what family members think as it's probably a sensitive issue for them too if something happened! Blood donations from what I understand have been overwhelmingly allowed and that definitely helps save lives!
austmuslimah
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2011 12:10 AM »

The reason I asked this question was because I vaguely remember reading that it is not allowed to destroy or desecrate a dead body, and that we should be buried whole if possible. For that reason I think some people say no to organ donation, but I could be wrong. I have not yet had the time to look it up.

Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2011 05:08 AM »

Assalaamualikum,

Organ donation is usually approached as a last resort to save someone's life in very few extreme medical conditions.....So the decision is usually taken when all the possible efforts to treat a patient's illness has failed.
So I personally see no harm in trying to rescue someone's life...

And not all kinds of organ donations require someone to be dead...
Many organs like kidney,bone marrow,liver etc. can be donated while the person is still alive...
But things like buying and selling organs is to be clear of...I  personally think it is unethical...

I have heard of many poor people selling off their kidney or blood  while  in dire need of money... Sad

and it is not naturally possible to donate and transplant an organ so easily...it requires  through tests of compatibility....so the decision is always calculated. But at the end of the day...we want to save someone's life...

How bad is the situation,is there a long term benefit from this,what will the condition of the patient will be...is all that will decide how bad the need for an organ transplant is...

Thus I think the decision is subjective...

I vaguely remember reading that it is not allowed to destroy or desecrate a dead body, and that we should be buried whole if possible.

But  I do agree with you austmuslimah....i have heard of it too.... the issue of using an organ from a dead body is something to be clear of.
We would definitely want to know what the scholars have to say about this...
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2011 05:53 AM »

wsalam,

This little booklet covers some opinions about it. Mostly allowing it under certain conditions:
http://www.muis.gov.sg/cms/uploadedFiles/MuisGovSG/Religious/OOM/Resources/Muis_kidney_book_ENG.pdf
ruhee
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
ruhee has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2012 07:34 AM »

As far as I have heard- regarding this topic islamically, you are allowed as this will be very beneficial to the recipient.  Muslims generally tend to give blood donations and alhumdulillah sometimes the whole extended family offers to be a bone marrow donors to a family member- some parents even get their kids who are as young as 18 months to be tested to be a donor. But I have found it very rare for muslims to come forward as an altruistic donor or consent to be a deceased donor -as even though the younger generation consents to being a deceased donor their family can and usually does overrule it (I think in most western countries even if you opt to be a deceased donor, your family has to give their unanimous "yes" for the testing and transplantation to proceed).

As metioned before, the recipient is only considered for a transplant if their organ functional is critically low and has a very poor prognosis/and loss of function is irreversible, their health otherwise should be good enough to allow for transplantation, previous HLA antibodies, compliance to their medical treatment, psychological assessments and probably much more... and most patients are stereotyped as people think their conditions are lifestyle based -and some are lifestyle based or acquired, but others are inherited - kids as young as 6-7 may need a transplant. And who is to say what they would do with their lives given another chance. It is a very sensitive issue to some, and it needs a lot of contemplating but also open discussion.

Personally, if it is meant to be...then everything will go smoothly as Allah has destined it for you. if not, than there will be many obstacles ...just have a good intention -try do it and leave the end result to Allah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: