// Speaking without knowledge
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.-Maulana Jelaluddin Rumi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking without knowledge  (Read 496 times)
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« on: Dec 19, 2011 12:47 AM »

I'm starting a new thread on this topic as I wasn't happy with the title of the original topic that the original poster had written and didn't want my name associated with that title mashaa'Allaah.  But yes, this is in continuation of that same thread.

It was said: I remember reading the only thing that is un forgiveable is associating partners with Allah, so maybe those who do are "hated".

That is one type of blasphemy.  Imam ash-Shafi^iyy mentioned that that it is also blasphemy if one denies the Existence of Allaah, if one believes that Allaah incarnates the universe, or if one believes that Allaah and the universe are one. There is also something called apostasy (in Arabic ‘riddah’), which is namely all those things that can invalidate one’s Islaam, and the scholars wrote extensively on this in order that people could protect themselves from it, such as the likes of ibn ^Aabidiin, Imaam an-Nawawiyy, the faqiih Badr ur Rashiid, and Qaadii ^Iyaad, to name only a few.

It was said: I also think that we can only just be as good as we can in terms of following Islam, but we cant determine whether or not someone elses life is "loved" or "hated"... Its just not our place to judge others in that way.

This is true but only in the case of the Muslims.  We know the things which are sinful is Islaam, and if we see another Muslim doing such a thing, and because Allaah has Ordered us to forbid the unlawful (Munkar) and to command the obligatory (Ma^ruuf) we advise the sinful Muslim as best as we can to help them avoiding committing that sin, or we ask someone else to if we feel they will listen more to that person than to us.  However, the scholars have warned that if we fear that by speaking to such a sinful person, they may not listen to us, or by us speaking to them, this will push them into doing the sin even more, then it is better to not try and advise this person in case this causes them to commit a worse sin.  (For example, the hadith narrated by al-Bukhariyy in which the Prophet, peace be upon him, said what means: If one knows of an unlawful matter, then it is an obligation on one to change that matter by one’s hand.  If one is not able, then one must change it by one’s tongue.  If one is not able, then one must denounce it in one’s heart-this is the least one must do).

So although we can advise a sinful Muslim, we cannot judge what will happen to them in the Hereafter, as Allaah may or may not Forgive this person for the sins they did not repent from before they died.  The scholars have said that in the Hereafter people will fall into the following 4 categories:

1)   As for the Muslim whose good deeds outweigh his bad deeds he will be granted Paradise (such a person is the pious person (taqiyy), i.e. the one who performs all the obligations and avoids all the prohibitions)

2)   Those whose good and bad deeds are equal will go to Paradise but won’t be among the first people to enter Paradise.

3)   And now we are on the case of the sinful Muslim: The one whose bad deeds outweigh his good deeds we say deserves to be punished in Hellfire but Allaah may Forgive Him.  If one’s bad deeds outweigh his good deeds then we say this person is under the Will of Allaah. So either a person may be forgiven and go to Paradise, or he will be punished in Hellfire first for the time that Allaah Wills but then will eventually go to Paradise.

4)   The blasphemers will be placed in Hellfire forever because in order to receive reward for good deeds one has to believe in Allaah and His Messenger, and the blasphemer is the one who has the incorrect belief, so this person has no good deeds in the Hereafter to save him.

It was said: I really think this is a question we can speculate on for a long time but in the end, only Allah know best who he loves and hates, if he hates, and why.

The issue of ‘love and hate’ aside, we don’t have to speculate about the fate of the pious Muslims and the blasphemers in the Hereafter, as this is clear from the explicit ayaahs of the Qur’aan, the hadeeth, and from what the scholars have said.  There are issues of divergence amongst schools but this issue isn’t one of them.  For one to say something contrary, it suggests that one needs to put time and effort in to learning about this issue from trustworthy religious teachers.

As a reminder to us all, myself included subhanAllaah, it is not for us lay people to speak without knowledge on religious issues.  We need to learn the religious knowledge and use the judgments given to us by the Qur’aan, the hadeeth and the resulting deductions of the scholars, to use as our evidence which we adhere to .  If one does not know something about the religion it is better if one remains silent, because speaking without knowledge is a grave matter.  I’m sure many of us are aware of the great scholar Imaam Maalik when he was asked 48 questions in a gathering and to 32 of them he responded ‘I don’t know’, and in another narration it says that he only answered 6 of the questions, whilst saying 'I don't know' to the rest.  Also Imaam ^Aliyy said that he felt the most at ease when he said ‘I don’t know’.  Mashaa’Allaah we must take heed from great people such as these and not rush to speak about matters of which we are unaware. 

May Allaah Guide us all to what is correct, aameen.

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: