// Life without Health Insurance in U.S.
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: 'Are you using the world as an arena to express your social pathology?' - Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life without Health Insurance in U.S.  (Read 743 times)
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« on: Dec 30, 2011 06:51 PM »

Asalam Alaikum Madina,
Does anyone or has anyone lived without health insurance in the U.S.?  If so, was is scary...were you worried? I am leaving my job at a bank (ALHAMDULLIAH!!!!!!!!!!!) but along with that I am losing my healthcare.. I tried to get private health insurance but I got a BIG FAT NO because of a thyroid issue.. So.. I am a little nervous! So duas would be great and advice would be helpful. Hmm maybe I will  just go and befriend all the doctors at the masjid and then they can give me free health care..  smileysis
palipeach81
Sis

palipeach81 has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2011 07:44 PM »

Salaam sister,
I can totally relate! I quit my job a month after having my daughter last year and doing so I lost my health insurance. We pay out of pocket for all doctors visits.  It hasn't been too expensive with her coz we go for her well child visits and if I have any concerns, I always call the nurses line which is free.
But at the same time, we can't just go to the doctor whenever we want. For example, I get these sharp pains in my head all the time and I would like to get a ct scan to make sure it's nothing, but it's too expensive.
Right now, I've been going on ehealthinsurance.com to see what plans are good for us but I'm not having luck since the ones that are for us do not cover maternity/labor.
Please keep me up to date if you find anything:)
Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2011 08:33 PM »

Thank you for the reply Palipeach81 Smiley I hope inshAllah you find relief with your headaches Sad  A friend of mine just finished nursing school so she will be my nurse line  Smiley I will let you know if I do find something  :  hug
moderatesufi
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2011 02:15 PM »

I don't have health insurance. 
Health is a state service here just like the police and fire brigade are where you are.
It is like that in most countries.
America is the rare exception.
But even if you had health insurance, health insurance companies have a tendency to weasel out of paying for treatment.
I know many people in America who had to fight long and hard to receive treatments that as considered universal in much of the rest of the world.

Have you considered moving to a civilised country?
Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2011 04:19 PM »

Moderatesufi,

Thank you for your reply as well.. Even if it's not that feasible.. Maybe InshAllah one day we will have universal health care in the U.S... In all fairness I did caucus and vote for Obama.. with that hope.   Grin
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2011 06:29 PM »

walaikum salaam wrt wbt,

The healthcare industry is a billion dollar industry in the US. They and the pharmaceutical industry have incredible lobbies. And an incredible unending supply of $$. It would take A LOT to change it in the US. Obama and Senator Kennedy tried their best but unfortunately don't think it's going to happen. Sad

I haven't had healthcare for years as well Sad It's kind of scary. Alhamdulillah there is a women's clinic here that has a sliding scale for people. So you can become a patient there and pay out of pocket, it is wayyy less expensive than going to any doctor's office yourself.

Perhaps low income clinics or care is a better model that the gov't should take, but the problem is all those rich lawmakers see no point in healthcare for the poor. They don't want to subsidize anything of course including medicaid and perhaps medicare.

I don't know if people should get private healthcare unless they have like a real condition or are older. It's just so ridiculously expensive. I paid out of pocket for awhile and just realized it was too much. And MS is right, if there is a way, the insurance companies will find it not to pay for something when you need it. Even if you work and full time, many jobs do not provide healthcare nowadays, not to mention all those people still out of work! Sadly it's easier for people to just give away any of their assets and try to get on Medicaid or something than actually try to save for their families or work!  

Not sure where you live Palipeach but some states have programs for babies and children to have healthcare so you can look into that.

All I can say is stay health people!! ia

austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2011 08:19 PM »

Here is Australia, there is a 1 percent tax levy for people who do not have private health insurance. This 1percent covers u for the medicare/government resources u have used or potentially may use. Most people find the extra tax they pay is around the same as they would pay for private health insurance, and with private health insurance you get more benefits esp dental optical and physio, which are things ppl need no matter what soci-economic background they are from. So there are options here. I've never heard of an insurance company not paying or ppl having difficulty getting insurance, but I do know that yearly premiums can get high with certain conditions.

That being said, I don't have private health insurance either, but alhamdulillah I have not had anything more major than sore throats.

Inshallah Allah will keep us all in the best health possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: