// Make Me a Muslim on BBC3
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet. - Plato
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Me a Muslim on BBC3  (Read 707 times)
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2013 05:28 PM »

I thought that it was really lovely! It was really interesting for me to see the paths of the converts as well, as a born-Muslim. Unlike the girl in the documentary I'm practicing - but I never really saw how difficult it would be for a convert to get married! It's true that I have taken it for granted that I will have this huge network of Muslim friends and family who will help out tremendously. So I think that I learned something new from this documentary as well.

P.S. I understood the British accents perfectly - I've lived with British people before.  Smiley
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2013 05:40 PM »

Unlike the girl in the documentary I'm practicing - but I never really saw how difficult it would be for a convert to get married! It's true that I have taken it for granted that I will have this huge network of Muslim friends and family who will help out tremendously.
If you have a problem with getting married, move to Hyderabad. The aunties here will make it the goal of their life to find someone for you Tongue

I don't yet have a job and I already got a rishta. My sister's been getting them for over a year and she's just 16 now. The market here is hot! Grin

Mango is nice fruit especially if transformed to juice. You can earn a lot of $$$ from it..  Wink
Aaaaaahhhhh....HOW?? I could use a lot of $$$, I'm broke!
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2013 08:36 PM »

New Muslims get married the same way born Muslims get married. Someone they know puts them together with someone.
In the UK, because so many women become Muslim compared to men it is generally harder for women to get married whether born Muslim or convert.

And I'm sure anyone with a red passport or an American one will find it very easy to get married in Hydro.
We got a Musjid here with a big list of women wanting to get married and no lists of men. They have one rule for men wanting access to the list. Must have a British passport.
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2013 01:17 AM »

And I'm sure anyone with a red passport or an American one will find it very easy to get married in Hydro.
We got a Musjid here with a big list of women wanting to get married and no lists of men. They have one rule for men wanting access to the list. Must have a British passport.
Yup...the passport will guarantee a whack husband and whackier in laws.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2013 07:35 AM »

OK second link works Fozia (the other said private and of course, can't watch the one Sis J posted, as that's for Brits only). Will try to catch it later. Did see a lot about it on Twitter when it was about to air. Seemed interesting and from your guys' comments, sounds good. Will try to watch it soon! Thanks for the link!

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2013 08:54 AM »

Thanks for the link. Very interesting documentary. They are new to Islam but they show much more devotion and commitment than most of us. The sad part of it is about the sister having hard time searching for a partner. May Allah continue to elate the religion.

It is natural for the relatives of a convert to be unhappy about his/her decision, but in my country (probably in most African countries) the enragement is beyond understanding. In most cases the convert's life becomes in danger. The brits are far more tolerant.

Aaaaaahhhhh....HOW?? I could use a lot of $$$, I'm broke!

Mango juice is very common in Nairobi. May be you should consider coming here for a course on it.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2013 12:11 PM »

you know that is sort of strange because in the UK, Europe and America it is people of African ancestry that welcome the conversion of their relatives most of all. Some celebrate it. I have even seen black boys in the Musjid sent their by their mothers to become Muslim.
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2013 12:12 PM »

I think here they see it as a way of keeping their kids away from crime and gangs.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2013 05:31 AM »

That's strange of course. But it might be because they stayed in the west for long that the attitude has faded away.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2013 07:56 AM »

Nope, it is cause they don't want their kids to join gangs and kill each other.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2013 12:26 PM »

Mango juice is very common in Nairobi. May be you should consider coming here for a course on it.
Dude, I know how to make mango juice. How much will it fetch though? I have a business model in mind already Wink
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2013 08:28 PM »

This was a review from Aaila magazine - a little negative perhaps,but I see that watching this would certainly be very different for Muslims and non Muslims.

http://aaila.org/issue/january-february-2013/article/review-of-bbc-documentary-make-me-a-muslim
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2013 09:24 AM »

Umm I wouldn't call that a review. More like someone's personal issues or bitterness about something. This was a great documentary and showed Islam in a positive light. The problem with some Muslims is they expect a show like this or any other depicting Muslims to be like a big treatise on Islamic thought and philosophy. Come on ppl, go read syed Hossain Nasr or something. This is a show about women converts to Islam in Britain n their real lives and that's what they showed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: