Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 18, 2014 09:32 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Muraqabah and Muhasabah...  (Read 734 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 06, 2012 08:10 AM »

Continuing our tradition of posting little reflections every so often...

Sometimes I just can't believe how old I am... do you ever just turn around and are like 'what the...' where did the years go? Sometimes it just amazes me. Like when a girl walks into my school and says 'salam auntie jannah' and i remember when we took her for a walk at our local park a few weeks after she was born! I could have sworn that was last year!! :) Or when someone says the 80s were 30 years ago! Yikes...

How long can we hope to live these days anyway? Have I even accomplished anything in my life? Yeah.. painful to think about. It's hard to actually examine these things. It's like looking in a mirror and trying to find the signs of aging. Now who the heck wants to do that! :)

One thing our Shaykh here has always emphasized in his retreats and talks is "muhasabah". That is taking stock of your actions... contemplating upon them everyday.  And "muraqabah", watching the movements of your heart. There's a Hadith that says a person whose days are the same is a loser. Comparing yesterday and today, have I improved in my actions, in my relationship with Allah, in my state of heart? If so it's been a good day and if it hasn't been, one of the beautiful things about Islam is that we can ask for forgiveness and start again the next day.

To look back across the years can be disappointing and frustrating, but working with each day can actually be liberating and give us that all important hope we need to continue on.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2012 10:07 AM »

salam

I think personally each and every year I have lived has been a lesson well learnt, I most certainly am a better person right now due the life I have lived than had I not had the number of birthdays I have.

Have I accomplished anything in life.... I think I have helped ease the path for fellow travellers on the way or tried to,  I've adopted the better characteristics I've seen in people I have met and forgotten the worse ones. I have held fast to the rope in times of sorrow- altho Allah has been hugely merciful to me and my path has been relatively easy Alhumdulillah. I have learnt the true value of kindness.

I'm also at work, and it's Jummah and I am not pleased!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2012 11:20 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Have I even accomplished anything in my life?

It’s interesting but Sh Nouman Ali was talking recently about how non Muslims are constantly concerned with their ‘legacy’ and what they will leave behind because they have no concept of the Hereafter and a life to come.

As Muslims, of course, our legacy is contained in the righteous actions we perform which (together with Allah’s mercy) will provide us with salvation in the next world.

To look back across the years can be disappointing and frustrating, but working with each day can actually be liberating and give us that all important hope we need to continue on.

People often look at themselves at an anniversary; be it a birthday, a new year, every Ramadhan etc etc

The more insightful look at themselves every month and evaluate how they are doing and where they are going.

The really insightful, however, monitor themselves on a daily basis and assess if they are indeed heading in the right direction. This is probably the most nearest to taqwa but also the most hardest.

*Knowing* what you have done on a particular day is sometimes equally as important as *doing* it!!

PS Did you mean Muhasabah as opposed to Muraqabah?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2012 05:05 AM »

Jazaks for the responses.

That is very beautiful Fozia mashaAllah.  and Boo about jumah!

Brkhalid honestly  I don't understand how anyone can stand life believing that this is it! It would just seem so horrible. True about the knowing. I think it was Rabia who said we need to repent from our repentance!

PS Did you mean Muhasabah as opposed to Muraqabah?

Yes I think ur right!! Corrected above!

Muraqabah: To be watchful of my heart to make sure nothing enters which is not beloved to Allah.

Muhasabah: To evaluate yourself when and where I am unable to overcome my desire, where I forget or put off Allah’s obedience.
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2012 08:44 AM »

Brkhalid honestly  I don't understand how anyone can stand life believing that this is it! It would just seem so horrible.

Death is the best critique of Life. The vice versa is equally true

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: